2017 RTR in Quartzsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypsysoul said:
 Are their people there willing to help out with small repairs and also solar instillation?

Generally, you can find a ride back and forth to town. However, town is filled to the gills so you may want to stock up so you don't have to go to town. The first years I attended the RTR in a Class C and avoided Q during the height of madness. Now I'm in a van. Although it's easier getting around, I still only go to town when and if I have to. 

There are people helping out and doing projects. Getting there earlier may make it easier to get help.

Quartzsite has everything you need.  2 laundromats, a beef jerky store, Micky d's, A flea market or 50, Hardware stores, water stations

And the worlds greatest pizza.  :D

Hello all, I planning on making it to the RTR this year? This will be my first and hopefully one of many? I didn't make it last January because of mechanical issue with my old diesel truck (Tuppence). I have a 6'x12' cargo trailer (the tin can) with solar. I did spend the month of March a few miles NE of Camp Verde, thanks Bob for that tip.

I do have a couple of questions. What is the proper protocol for pulling in an finding a camp site? I always camp at least 100 yards away and will leave our 7 pound female Yorkie home because of the unleashed dogs. Will the group's GPS coordinates be posted?

Any info will be appreciated, drive safely and hope to meet some of you there.

I really don't think there is a protocol the area is huge, the whole area is basically level. you can choose a spot as close or as far away as you want. the few aggressive dogs that are there are not unleashed. others can chime in but I feel there is no reason not to bring your buddy the coordinates are posted under gatherings its one of the headers at the top of the page. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the few aggressive dogs that are there are not unleashed.    highdesertranger

Last year was my first but I don't recall any aggressive dog issues.

Park anywhere you want...

Salsadog, don't want to say bring your little dog, nothing will happen but I will say there are lots of unleashed tiny dogs there including my 7pound nasty acting old poodle Cricket.
Sometimes the big dogs will spar to sort out differences but I don't know of anything serious. People with aggressive dogs have been very good about tying their dogs.

I was looking at another webpage and thought I'd post this Q info here...

October 1, 2016 – March 31, 2017
Tyson Wells Market Center Swap Meet

October 31, 2016 – March 1, 2017
Quartzsite Market Place Street Fair

November 1, 2016 – April 1, 2017
Rice Ranch “Yawl Come” Show

November 2016 – April, 2017
Grease Wood Swap Meet

1st Sunday December thru March
Off-Road Swap Meet – QIA, 9 am – 1 pm

January 1 – February 28, 2017
Desert Gardens Int’l Gem, Mineral & Jewelry Show

January 2 – January 15, 2017
Prospectors Panorama

January 6 – January 15, 2017
Tyson Wells Rock & Gem Show

January 18 – 22, 2017
51st Annual QIA Pow Wow Gem & Mineral Show

January 20 – 29, 2017
Tyson Wells Sell-A-Rama

January 21 – 29, 2017
Quartzsite Sports, Vacation & RV Show (The Big Tent)

February 3 – 12, 2017
Tyson Wells Art & Craft Show

Boondocking Russ and Tiña De Maris

RVers are there from October to March?   Is it always crowded?

DrJean, the area is huge. You can be as far from the madding crowd as you wish. You can have neighbors if you wish, also.

DrJean said:

I found it was always busy in Quartzite itself because the whole town turns in to a marketplace basically - they're everywhere!!

Out on the BLM land you can be as close to your neighbors or as far away from them as you choose to be. The RV parks are crowded as is some areas of the LTVA's but that's there, where we're not!

Some of us chose to form our own little wagon train style camp area and some chose to go off by themselves a way!

On one hand you've got a whole lot of privacy and on the other you've got friends within shouting distance 'Hey, you got coffee ready yet'...'Yea, bring your own mug'.... :D :D

Most dog owners know the dog and act accordingly, keeping my distance to allow newbie access closer in as It will be my 4th and the seminars are great new information for most. lots of room.

DrJean said:

It's not like that.

Downtown during the show is crowded, there are a LOT of RVs in the area bit it's a huge place. Even at the RTR if you don't want to deal with people you can park alone.

It's really different from anything I'd seen before.

It isn't like I want to drive all that way to see you guys and then stay away alone! hahahah  but ... yeah... you do know.

When are most of this crowd planning on being there, and for how long staying?  Is it at a place where we're limited to 2 weeks or what?  And I can bring coffee to brew!   (It's the main thing to trade when the world goes crazy, ppl will trade most anything for coffee... hmmm reminds me of a story for porridge...)

Since we're limited to 14 days (with a bit of a stretch from a friendly ranger) most of us gather near Ehrenberg in the weeks before the RTR.

It's closer to good shopping (Blythe CA) and has good shower and laundry facilities in town. The rangers seem to be MIA there as well so some stay from November on and then move to the Quartzite site of the RTR just in time for the start.

When it gets closer to time, you can ask around and hook up with a couple of various groups - Bob usually has a large group up on the desert plateau above Ehrenberg.

After the RTR you'll have no shortage of choices of who to hang with if you're staying in the area because by that time you'll have made friends (well we hope you'll have made friends... :D ) with lots of people.

:s Blythe...   whew.  I checked for physical therapy offices for my stay and seems I had to cross to CA for one... on what I 10 just west?  Somewhere I have that written down.

It looks like I might have my van just before Christmas and IDK how long it will take to winterize it ;;) I will still have help though... she'll stay until I sell the house...and maybe still be available after if I'm still around I'll stop by and let her do my laundry and vacuum and clean my van and bathe my dog! :D

Since lack of shade is an issue, has anyone talked to local authorities about beginning a tree planting effort?  Yeah I know it's the desert but .... unless it's illegal, and even then over time and permissions.... and and and... but eventually we'd have shade and have helped the environment.   (Okay... going to have some coffee and chill now. ) :s

I welcome no shade and you will too, as for winterizing unless you are going into winter no need in Q, IMHO

Blythe is directly on the CA side of the state line on I 10 - about 5 miles from where a group tends to congregate at Ehrenberg and 20 miles from Quartzite.

There are 'trees' in both Ehrenberg and Quartzite but their growth is severely stunted by the climate. For those of us used to the 100' tall pines and majestic spreads of oak etc in the northern forest, the desert can be extremely bleak looking. Somehow a 10' tall bush that has scrabbled for decades to grow just doesn't compare!!

We joke about the lack of trees and me managing to snag the 'only' tree in the area but truthfully, in the winter there, the sun is not so strong.  We welcome the warm sunshine more than we seek shade.

Tarps and awnings do just fine for what little shade we need.

Since all the land we use is federally owned, I'm thinking tree planting arrangements might take the better part of the next century to arrange for. :D :rolleyes:

Go have that coffee and chill, you're overthinking this!!... :D

no disrespect, but there are no trees because that is the natural environment for the area. planting trees and taking care of them so they can stay alive is unnatural. we must remember not to try to shape nature into what we think is ideal. sometimes nature is harsh and ugly. look past that and find the beauty you will not be disappointed. highdesertranger

Latest posts