2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One Awesome Inch said:
Its a nice thought but it aint going to work. She told me last year she doesnt love me anymore. We were very close to splitting up but decided it would be better for the kids to stay together. She is a good person and she hasn't indicated she would do any of those things. She keeps me around to pay the bills and help with the kids. Someday soon we are going to have to have the "talk" and when that comes I am 95% sure that will translate to I'm moving out. We have tried marriage counselling before and it didnt work. She didnt want to go because the counsellor wanted to see her separately and she told me that she was just told all the things that are wrong with her. Frankly, we are beyond counselling. There is no romantic love there at all. She can be very demanding and high maintenance... and often grumpy. Before when we used to actually talk, everything remotely controversial would either turn into an argument or a lecture session. So I just started not talking as I hate arguing. Now I'm just done with all of it. Just trying to get the van finished and save up more money before the split. I still think she is a wonderful person and an excellent mother. We are just not compatible. I hope to make the split friendly so that we can still hang out with the kids at birthdays and holidays. The longer I stay the less likely that may happen. Don't know for sure though.

[emoji17][emoji17][emoji17]
Very sorry...
...still, you never know, strange things can happen.
[emoji106][emoji604]

Yeah you never know... but we've been together for 18 years. I don't think either of us is going to change.

Anyway... here's to new beginnings!

One Awesome Inch said:
Yeah you never know... but we've been together for 18 years. I don't think either of us is going to change.

Anyway... here's to new beginnings!

[emoji106][emoji604]

Hi friends!
Just saw a cool video on YouTube. It's called Indiana VanJones in VanMan's Treasure. Superb acting by this famous actor, very well known, his name is...is...well, the name escapes me but he's well on his way to an Oscar award.

Freezing my butt off in -12 degree weather! I need someone to ship me a whole lot of sunshine from the southern states![emoji1][emoji295]️[emoji295]️[emoji295]️

[emoji106][emoji604]

I watched that one. Have you considered using some sort of heavy duty tape to keep your vent open but not flying away in the wind?

Another option would be putting a vent somewhere else... like behind the license plate or maybe in the floor.

Stay warm bro!

BTW they say you need one square inch for every 1000btu of propane heat for adequate ventilation. You should probably double check that though. :)

One Awesome Inch said:
I watched that one. Have you considered using some sort of heavy duty tape to keep your vent open but not flying away in the wind?

Another option would be putting a vent somewhere else... like behind the license plate or maybe in the floor.

Stay warm bro!

Tape is out of the question, as I would've to climb on top of the van to apply it and remove it, while rendering it useless for controlling the quantity of air. Not to mention stealth.
The solution is a vent cover, which I won't do till I'm no longer in need of stealth.
Staying warm, thank you! Same to you.
Thanks for watching![emoji106][emoji604]

Luis, it's cold and raining in the southern states, lol! Maybe not as cold as where you are but miserable without sunshine anyway.

You would probably have to go to Mexico to get sunshine right now!

Stay warm!

Another option is to get a vented heater like the espar or Dickinson P9000. I plan to do the P9000 because I just refuse to be cold on a regular basis. You can be stealth and stay warm but it will cost some cash.

Bela said:
Luis, it's cold and raining in the southern states, lol! Maybe not as cold as where you are but miserable without sunshine anyway.

You would probably have to go to Mexico to get sunshine right now!

Stay warm!

[emoji1] how about Hawaii? Been there before, but just on my way to LAX from Sydney. Do you think my van will float?[emoji1][emoji40][emoji106][emoji604]

One Awesome Inch said:
Another option is to get a vented heater like the espar or Dickinson P9000. I plan to do the P9000 because I just refuse to be cold on a regular basis. You can be stealth and stay warm but it will cost some cash.

Yes, I've considered the Dickinson heater, and I'm still considering. I just have two problems with it. 1- I need to get money first, and 2- even if I have the money, space might be a problem. [emoji106][emoji604]

I hear you about the money thing. Its going to take me a good while to save up for it. Might even have to get a second job.

As to space, I knew going into this a heater was going to be priority number one in terms of van contents so I tried to plan my layout accordingly.

Like so....
V5_zpsq9fniton.jpg

One Awesome Inch said:
I hear you about the money thing. Its going to take me a good while to save up for it. Might even have to get a second job.

As to space, I knew going into this a heater was going to be priority number one in terms of van contents so I tried to plan my layout accordingly.

Like so....
V5_zpsq9fniton.jpg

I see that you have your set up done the way you think its best. From what I understand you're going to live in stealth, that means parking on side streets? If so, because the way streets have a crown and pitch to the sides, you might be rolling off the bed, or rolling against the wall.
With a bed like the one I have, going across the wheel wells I can switch sides and always keep my head up. Just a thought. [emoji106][emoji604]

Thats a good point!

I will see how it goes. One thing I could is use some wooden blocks to prop up whatever side needs it the time. Another idea is to use car jacks. For me, I have to have my bed situated like this. I am putting two inches of insulation on all my walls which means I am losing 4 inches + of bed length if I had it like yours. I think the insulation will be worth it though... not only for keeping warm and saving $ on propane, but to help keep outside noise down a bit.

One Awesome Inch said:
Thats a good point!

I will see how it goes. One thing I could is use some wooden blocks to prop up whatever side needs it the time. Another idea is to use car jacks. For me, I have to have my bed situated like this. I am putting two inches of insulation on all my walls which means I am losing 4 inches + of bed length if I had it like yours. I think the insulation will be worth it though... not only for keeping warm and saving $ on propane, but to help keep outside noise down a bit.

The beauty of all this is that each one of us can make basically the same space look very different. No design is perfect and if I started a new build I probably do it differently myself. Having said that, I'm not sure if two inches of insulation are merited, as your space is very limited and I'm not sure how much more that would keep you warm and/or save you much on propane. Also remember: come summer time unless you have an AC, the heat sooner or later will get in and will take a lot longer to get out because the insulation will be trapping it in.
Don't get me wrong, I love my insulation, and if my rig was bigger and I had an AC I would definitely go thicker with it.
Like I said, I'm just not sure if all the lost space is worth it just to have more insulation that may not be that more effective. It's a fine balance between more insulation and more room. [emoji106][emoji604]

Yes indeed it is a fine balance of trade-offs. I hear what you are saying about the heat being trapped in the insulation in the summer. I have considered that, but it only gets above 25C for about one month of the year where I live. I am going to try and park in underground garages during that time. We'll see how it goes. Worse case scenario I rip stuff out and change stuff around if really needed.

As to floor space you are certainly right that its precious. However I think I'll be okay without the 4 inch area the insulation takes up. I'm a minimalist and need very little to be happy. All my entertainment needs are met by my large screen smart phone with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Clothes, food and tools comprise everything else besides my music gear... which does take up space, but I plan to have at least half of it under the bed.

The layout below is what I am modelling my build on....

2014-10-04-22-06-15_zpsawcfhfb2.png

Its just a youtube printscreen so not a great pic, but I love this setup.

One Awesome Inch said:
Yes indeed it is a fine balance of trade-offs. I hear what you are saying about the heat being trapped in the insulation in the summer. I have considered that, but it only gets above 25C for about one month of the year where I live. I am going to try and park in underground garages during that time. We'll see how it goes. Worse case scenario I rip stuff out and change stuff around if really needed.

As to floor space you are certainly right that its precious. However I think I'll be okay without the 4 inch area the insulation takes up. I'm a minimalist and need very little to be happy. All my entertainment needs are met by my large screen smart phone with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Clothes, food and tools comprise everything else besides my music gear... which does take up space, but I plan to have at least half of it under the bed.

The layout below is what I am modelling my build on....

2014-10-04-22-06-15_zpsawcfhfb2.png

Its just a youtube printscreen so not a great pic, but I love this setup.

That set up looks wonderful! If you can park in level spaces, sleeping will be accomplished much easier. Just remember, the back of the van is higher than the front.
As far as you changing your mind regarding the insulation and taking some out after you're done with the build, personally I think that's a nightmare waiting to happen. You'll have to undo everything you've done, put it somewhere, remove one layer of insulation, if you didn't spray-glue it together, then make everything fit back together again with the space no longer the same as it was.
I had to look it up, 25 C is 77 F, not too bad. And you want to park in the shade, that should help keep the interior cool enough. Problem; you want solar. Problem; you can't charge your batteries in the shade, trust me, I'm sure plenty of people here have tried it before.
So if you want power from solar you'll have to be in the sun. Being in the sun will make the interior sooner or later the same temperature as the outside. As long as you can open windows and doors, and wait for night time, and the cooler temperatures it brings, then you should be alright. [emoji106][emoji604]

Yeah solar is a problem up here in the PNW because its cloudy/rainy probably around 7 months of the year. However, in those 5 months we do get sun it would be helpful to have solar to power some fans to uh... beat the heat from the sun! Very circular! But hey we do what we can.

As to the insulation... at the very least I'd want one inch (one awesome inch... ha!) So really I'm only losing two inches all told.

But yeah, its all trade-offs. :)

One Awesome Inch said:
Yeah solar is a problem up here in the PNW because its cloudy/rainy probably around 7 months of the year. However, in those 5 months we do get sun it would be helpful to have solar to power some fans to uh... beat the heat from the sun! Very circular! But hey we do what we can.

As to the insulation... at the very least I'd want one inch (one awesome inch... ha!) So really I'm only losing two inches all told.

But yeah, its all trade-offs. :)

That's about what I got. 3/4 foam plus two layers of Reflectix on the walls (about 1/4 inch each piece of Reflectix), and 3/4 foam plus one layer of Reflectix on the ceiling. [emoji106][emoji604]

Luisafernandes said:
Reporting live for the WVLN Channel, Mr VanJones; the weatherman!

[emoji1][emoji106][emoji604]

Your having way to much fun out there. The video's are an absolute crack up :)