2014 Chevy Express 2500 Van Build: Luisafernandes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeRuth said:
Your having way to much fun out there. The video's are an absolute crack up :)

Thanks Mike! It was fun having all that silliness come out on the first take, but let me tell you, it was C[emoji300]️[emoji300]️LD!
[emoji106][emoji604]

ha ha ha. light bulb mic. everyone knows they don't work in cold weather. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
ha ha ha. light bulb mic. everyone knows they don't work in cold weather. highdesertranger

[emoji1][emoji23] that mic took just a few minutes to put together, and oh yeah....shhhhh, keep it quiet, I don't want everyone else to know that...oops I just did. Darn it. [emoji1][emoji106][emoji604]

Fantastic job on the build. I came across the build last night and read it start to now. I had already planed on building my 2500 Savana in the spring with pretty much the same layout as what you have done. Its great to see it in pictures and how functional it is. You had mentioned a sink in the near future. You have a work station across from the front side door that it looks like you have a laptop on it. You could install a small rv style sink bowl, under the countertop style, with small 1 or 2 gallon fresh and grey tanks bellow it. I don't think you'll use a lot of water before dumping the tank. Cut and stain a piece of 3/8 plywood to match the cabinets and cut it out to fit around a faucet. The plywood sits flat over the sink bowl opening giving you your work station and can be lifted off to use the sink. You use a lot of magnets in your cabinet builds. You could simply lift the sink cover to the side and stick it to the side cabinet with magnets or place it under the sink. The cover could also be held in place with 4 flush mounted magnets in the sinks countertop for traveling down the road. Sorry for the um drawing. I'm a mechanic, I failed art class:blush:.

This fine extravaganza epic motion picture filmed entirely in the jungles of Penn's Woods, is brought to you by lots of sweat, bruises, frozen body parts and sore throats. No animal or human was harmed in this production. Only the finest actors and equipment were used, as always. We at Rolling Earth-Ship productions, together with 1 Camera Studios and 5 minute Videos, would like to thank you with all sincerity for taking the time to watch. Enjoy! And please Subscribe!

Well, in that one we all learned not to build our overhead cabinets too close to the bed! :D:D

You look like you're having way too much fun in the Penn woods!

Almost There said:
Well, in that one we all learned not to build our overhead cabinets too close to the bed! :D:D

You look like you're having way too much fun in the Penn woods!

[emoji1] I actually never hit my head on those cabinets, only when production value requires it[emoji23], so yeah. You are safe building them over your bed[emoji1]
Thank you very much for watching![emoji106][emoji604]

I honestly cannot believe I just read this entire thread lol.

I have the exact same van and plan on doing a very similar build over the weekend. I know it probably won't be done in 3 days but hey, it's worth a shot.

This is about where I am.

I was thinking of using the industrial carpet they use in like Best Buy and Radio Shack for my walls once all of the insulation is done. Then shag carpet on the floor. Yea :D

SinnTek said:
I honestly cannot believe I just read this entire thread lol.

I have the exact same van and plan on doing a very similar build over the weekend. I know it probably won't be done in 3 days but hey, it's worth a shot.

This is about where I am.

I was thinking of using the industrial carpet they use in like Best Buy and Radio Shack for my walls once all of the insulation is done. Then shag carpet on the floor. Yea :D

Hi SinnTek!
How long did it take you, half a day?[emoji1]
Personally, just my own opinion, I wouldn't use carpet in a such a small space. It's going to be a nightmare to keep clean, though it may look good for a time. Just a thought. Fell free to ask any question you may have. If I don't know the answer, there's plenty of people here who will. [emoji106][emoji604]

Only problem I am having right now is deciding what to use on the walls. The reason I was thinking industrial carpet is because it is easy to work with as well as easy to clean. It would also be a very good option for hanging my paintings when I am at market / selling them in public.

Took about 3 hours in total. Plan on using all day today, monday and tuesday on setting up the insulation. Right now I am using 1 1/4 inch of styrofoam, about an inch of bubble wrap and then either carpet or wood to finish. Not really planning on going to heavy with insulation, just want to be able to handle Colorado weather for the most part.

SinnTek said:
Only problem I am having right now is deciding what to use on the walls. The reason I was thinking industrial carpet is because it is easy to work with as well as easy to clean. It would also be a very good option for hanging my paintings when I am at market / selling them in public.

Took about 3 hours in total. Plan on using all day today, monday and tuesday on setting up the insulation. Right now I am using 1 1/4 inch of styrofoam, about an inch of bubble wrap and then either carpet or wood to finish. Not really planning on going to heavy with insulation, just want to be able to handle Colorado weather for the most part.

Colorado weather isn't very mild, at least not compered to the east coast.
I have insulation, as you've seen, and I'm very glad I got it. I think, living in cold weather can be very miserable without it. [emoji106][emoji604]

Luisafernandes said:
Colorado weather isn't very mild, at least not compered to the east coast.
I have insulation, as you've seen, and I'm very glad I got it. I think, living in cold weather can be very miserable without it. [emoji106][emoji604]

Yeah. I was planning on going the more minimal approach as in not using a bunch of spray foam, ten layers of styrofoam... blah blah blah. You get where I am going.

I am thinking about 3 to 4 inches of styrofoam as well as 2 layers of reflectix throughout.

I am really only trying to keep the van around 30-50 degrees during winter. Which should not be too hard.

I'm from Northern California so the climate where I am planning on going doesn't seem to much different or too hard to achieve that comfort level in the van.

Today, I am installing 2 sheets of styrofoam around the entirety of the inside of the van as well as looking into the Mr. Buddy Portable Heater.

SinnTek said:
Yeah. I was planning on going the more minimal approach as in not using a bunch of spray foam, ten layers of styrofoam... blah blah blah. You get where I am going.

I am thinking about 3 to 4 inches of styrofoam as well as 2 layers of reflectix throughout.

I am really only trying to keep the van around 30-50 degrees during winter. Which should not be too hard.

I'm from Northern California so the climate where I am planning on going doesn't seem to much different or too hard to achieve that comfort level in the van.

Today, I am installing 2 sheets of styrofoam around the entirety of the inside of the van as well as looking into the Mr. Buddy Portable Heater.

Very nice [emoji106][emoji604]

I did not know that, but I might have missed it. Kind of just scrolled through.

I'll definitely have to check them out when I get home.

SinnTek said:
I did not know that, but I might have missed it. Kind of just scrolled through.

I'll definitely have to check them out when I get home.

Yep, rolling earth-ship is the name.

You can just click on a video that I posted and it should take you there.

The only issue with carpeting on the wall is air quality (it will inevitably hold in dust/dirt) and "van stink" will be harder to get out. With wood panelling you can just wipe it down.