2-Way Text Satellite Messenger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken ed

Reaction score
Just reviewed today on gear junkie. The SPOT X 2-Way Satellite Messenger

Send and receive text messages without a cellphone or cell coverage starting at $20.00 a month,,, just 25 messages a month. But unlimited messages for $30.00. Interestingly you are assigned a cell phone number so people can text you from a cell phone.

Can call for help S.O.S. from nearly anywhere in the world, life and death emergencies only.

Here's an outline of the review, or read the whole thing here at Gear Junkie.

- Two-way satellite messaging: Send and receive messages and short emails
   - S.O.S.: Emergency notification and direct two-way message communication with 24/7 search-and-rescue services through the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center
   - GPS tracking: Waypoints tracked via Google Maps at intervals of 2.5, 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes
   - Check-in: Users can let contacts know they are OK with the push of a button
   - Post to social media: Link to Facebook and Twitter accounts to share adventures with followers
   - Navigation: Built-in compass and programmable waypoints
   - Keyboard: Easy-to-use illuminated QWERTY keyboard, usable in any light setting
   - Battery life: SPOT X has a rechargeable battery with an average of 10 days of battery life when tracking in 10-minute intervals

Spot website here: https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php

can't you do the same thing on Ham radio without the subscription fee? highdesertranger

I would say, not reliably on a ham radio, or more fiddly?

Garmin came out with the inReach mini recently too.

I've seen Iridium GO! satellite mifi units go for ~$400

Lots more functionality right?

broken ed said:
Just reviewed today on gear junkie. The SPOT X 2-Way Satellite Messenger
Send and receive text messages without a cellphone or cell coverage starting at $20.00 a month,,, just 25 messages a month. But unlimited messages for $30.00.

I have an inReach SE that can do all the same things (I don't know or care about Facebook) for > $15/month.  10 messages/month plus 3 pre-recorded messages that I can send as many times as I want.  Higher device cost/less monthly cost.

highdesertranger said:
can't you do the same thing on Ham radio without the subscription fee?  highdesertranger

Ham would be more convoluted.

With inReach:
 - I hit an SOS button. The device sends a signal to a central site that includes my GPS coordinates.
 - Their central site tries to communicate with me via text on the device to determine what the problem is while simultaneously contacting my locations SAR.
 - If I am able to communicate I am put in contact (text) with local SAR through my device.  If not, SAR will send someone to determine the problem.
 - I can communicate through the device (cumbersome) or through my cell phone linked via bluetooth with my inReach.

With Ham:
 - Contact another ham.
 - Explain my problem and give my location (how well can I explain where I am?).
 - Other ham has to look up the appropriate SAR, contact them and explain the situation.
 - If local SAR has ham we can try to connect, if not a 3-way communication is needed.

Biggest differences IMO:
  • SAR is sent my exact location (GPS coordinates) without my needing to know it.
  • All I need to do is activate the device (slide a switch and push a button); SAR is initiated by my activating the device.  If I loose conscienceness or otherwise cannot continue communication the device will continue to transmit my location until the battery runs down (~90 hours?).
  • My device is a little bigger than my iPhone 5 (twice as thick).  Size of portable ham transceiver?  Important when away from basecamp.
  • I am put in direct contact with SAR via text without the middleman.
  • I am totally unfamiliar with antennas, power supplies, transmission limitations, et.al of ham radio.  Everything  necessary for emergency communication is in my inReach.  All I need is to have the battery charged and a subscription to their service.

Thank you Spaceman Spiff - very useful insight, especially on the inReach.

I'm with you, I couldn't care less about Facebook, Twitter or any of the others in that type of apps. I'll be taking a harder look at the inReach.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong: HAM Radio I don't do and don't want to be bothered with everything that goes with it. But I would imagine the one advantage would be that you could ask for help that was not an emergency. Whereby pressing the S.O.S. button on an inReach or similar device for something non life threating (i.e. a wrecker because you're stuck in a ditch) would have a large fine $$.

Latest posts