16 year old seeking advice from my elders (lengthy post)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverwas

Reaction score
Hello van-dwelling/minimalist/cheaprvliving community!

I first want to say that the message, mission, and atmosphere of this entire site has brought me great joy as I feel as though I have finally found my tribe. There are some things that I really wish to ask those more experienced than myself, as this is a very difficult time of my life, but I truly feel as though this community is the one in which I will find the most helpful advice.
Although I am very young, (16 years old, 17 in April, Junior in High School) I have studied spirituality my entire life, as I grew up in a parochial Lutheran school. I have been certain since before I could read and write that I wanted to pursue spirituality. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I discovered Hinduism and Buddhism, and though I don't subscribe to any particular religion, I would say that the principles of those two beliefs are the primary foundation of my own, but I'm kindof doing my own thing. I have decided that I want to devote my life to a monk-like lifestyle, living off of only the bare essentials necessary and spending each and every moment of my life in the pursuit of the enlightenment and awakening of all the people on the planet. It is an unbearable surge within myself, sortof like a mission that I cant possibly not fulfill. Some call this being a Starseed or Bodhisattva, I'm jsut being me. I do not feel the need to pursue any particular civilized career, as I have no need for the pursuit of possessions. This is why I am here, because I believe the van dwelling lifestyle will provide me with the perfect amount of simplicity and oneness with the planet to live my life for others. (I promise I'm getting to point soon! xD)

The curse beneath the blessing of being so spiritually aware at such a young age is according to the U.S public school system, if I don't have a plan or a college admission, I am a failure. I try hard not to let the opinions of other effect my inner happiness, because I am aware that I am the only controller of my emotions, but I still am unsure. I know that living life on the road I will need a source of income, so I must prepare to learn a trade, but I don't know what trade to learn that would be the most versatile on the road. So now I am here, seeking the advice of my elder van dwellers, to ask a few simple questions, because I am very lost.

1.) Is there anything wrong with someone changing life to the van dwelling lifestyle after high school graduation for the purpose of a spiritual devotion to the planet and its people?

2) I will need to learn a trade in order to make enough money to live. What trade would be the best to learn for a van dweller? Which trade is easiest to find work with in any particular town I find myself in?

3)Is there anything wrong with not going to college? Or should I postpone my monk destiny after college?

4) what advice would you give a young person in a situation such as my own? I feel as though this is truly my destiny. But at the same time I am very young and impulsive, but I feel as though I've gave this much thought.
Thank you to everyone who replies and feel free to give any advice you can or tell me your own story. I wish all of you good vibrations and love on your travels and lives.

_Neverwas

Welcome to the club! Hope you're able to find the answers to your many questions. You will probably get various responses on why you should (or shouldn't) go to college. If you decide on going to college, which is generally a good thing, at least get a marketable degree. "Marketable" means something that employers find desirable and will want to hire you. Even a good vocational school for learning a useful trade would be a good thing. Others may disagree with me, but DON'T get a degree in basket weaving, fine arts, literature, or the like. Just my opinion of course. In any case, you may want to explore the world for awhile while you have virtually no commitments at this time in your life. It gets harder to live a carefree life when you get older and the world wants a piece of you. Good luck to you!

You will need money to start out. Find a part time job now, and learn for yourself what it is you like. At 16 it is early to decide to hit the roads.

At the start you will need a van, insurance, a way to cook, a way to stay warm, a way to keep clean~~~ as well as a way to support yourself.

The USA does not provide for monks as a rule. You have to find a way to make it possible.

Welcome to the forum. Check the Money Matters and Jobs section of the forum for info on work,etc. Is there any subject in HS that moves you? One that is useful along the lines of a career,maybe? If not, just get a good general ed. and be willing to learn and take instruction. You have quite a while to decide about college but early planning is good too.

To eat regularly you have to be 'practical' so you might have to deviate from your search for enlightenment a tad. I know you realize this as you mention 'a trade',etc. You might start while still in HS and work part-time to earn money for a van. Or do you have another source of funds to buy one?

BTW: Would traveling around in a van that may have various modern conveniences such as a generator, solar panels, internet devices,etc. and that burns copious amounts of fossil fuel and working at misc. jobs within our capitalistic society really be a 'monk-like' existence?

have you thought about taking a year off between high school and College?.....it will give you thought time , you can wander in a van and get a taste.......I did this with my son,he learned alot about himself and what he wanted in life by doing it!!!...He is now attending MIT , 2nd year.

it all looks good on paper or in a dream....experiences in life are where the real lessons are taught!!!!!

GotSmart said:
You will need money to start out. Find a part time job now, and learn for yourself what it is you like. At 16 it is early to decide to hit the roads.

At the start you will need a van, insurance, a way to cook, a way to stay warm, a way to keep clean~~~ as well as a way to support yourself.

The USA does not provide for monks as a rule. You have to find a way to make it possible.

I forgot to mention I am currently working as a lifeguard at my community centers indoor/outdoor pool. Making it possible, thats what I wake up every day for. :)

slow2day said:
Welcome to the forum. Check the Money Matters and Jobs section of the forum for info on work,etc. Is there any subject in HS that moves you? One that is useful along the lines of a career,maybe? If not, just get a good general ed. and be willing to learn and take instruction. You have quite a while to decide about college but early planning is good too.

To eat regularly you have to be 'practical' so you might have to deviate from your search for enlightenment a tad. I know you realize this as you mention 'a trade',etc. You might start while still in HS and work part-time to earn money for a van. Or do you have another source of funds to buy one?

BTW: Would traveling around in a van that may have various modern conveniences such as a generator, solar panels, internet devices,etc. and that burns copious amounts of fossil fuel and working at misc. jobs within our capitalistic society really be a 'monk-like' existence?
As I stated in another comment I have a job currently and I would definitely have to wait a while saving up for the supplies, van, etc. before I completely embark on the journey. I mainly am looking for a trade that I can get a degree and or certification in that will be so universal that I could find work no matter where I find myself. I've considered electrician, heating/cooling, mechanics, bartending, basic things that people will almost always need and that I could find work relatively fast. Thank you for the reply!

Lucky mike said:
have you thought about taking a year off between high school and College?.....it will give you thought time , you can wander in a van and get a taste.......I did this with my son,he learned alot about himself and what he wanted in life by doing it!!!...He is now attending MIT , 2nd year.

it all looks good on paper or in a dream....experiences in life are where the real lessons are taught!!!!!
That was the original plan honestly, but I think that if I take a year off I will probably take another....and another....and another.....;D
Thank you for the response.

PS: I forgot to add this link:

http://www.interstellarorchard.com/

This young lady lives in a small trailer and finances her travels by taking temporary jobs at Amazon, resort areas and finding gigs at Ren Faires,etc. Lots of good info. If done right, you can relax and ponder the Universe quite a bit between jobs while seeing this big beautiful country.

Spiritual people travel by many different modes, and levels of minimalism (some not so minimalistic). I'm acquainted with a particular group of men who travel on custom motorcycles, using the bikes as a focal draw to connect with "the masses". They are often found in a roadside bar lifting a pint with the locals and sharing their word...of spiritualism, not religion.
None of this group works, and yet all of their needs are met.
There, you have a story, and a real one, at that.
I'll also venture to say that most of us here travel as much with faith (of one ilk or the other), as we do on the need for the almighty dollar it actually costs us....who are "the masses".

You seem to be an intelligent person (M or F, I would ask?) and are fairly articulate. As a way of making a buck on the road I would suggest the possibility of writing for publication and blogging. If treated like a job, and given due diligence, one can make a tidy little sum each month.
My buddy's GF is visiting and she showed me her tallies for the past 3 months....I was astounded!!! Yesterday a FedX truck brought her a check from a publisher for $2800 and next week one is due from another company for $2200. Two other checks arrived earlier this month, as well.
Ok, she's been doing this for just over a year, but her 1st 6 months totaled a little over 5K....and that ain't hay ;)

Personally, I agree with the year off after high school idea. I think it gives a person a chance to sorta digest all that crap and see some of the real world before making decisions that will effect the rest of your life.

Welcome and all the best to ya :)

And....if you take a year off, and another, and another....maybe that is what the spirit you live by has in mind for your life.
Only you can find that answer.

I took time off in 1988 and never went back :)

bindi&us said:
They are often found in a roadside bar lifting a pint with the locals and sharing their word...of spiritualism, not religion.

These guys are in the UK riding Triumphs and BSAs,right ? :p

Neverwas said:
....(work that is) so universal that I could find work no matter where I find myself.
... basic things that people will almost always need and that I could find work relatively fast.

How about Lifeguarding? :D Pools and beaches everywhere.

I know far too many people with college degrees who are working as waiters and in fast food. In my opinion you are much better off with a trade. Electrician, Mechanic, Plumber, all are needed everywhere. You may be able to start learning a trade while still in high school. I know they had beautician and auto mechanic courses when I went. As a workamper, I know who gets the available jobs and it isn't those with degrees. It's someone who can fix the tractor or rewire the cabin. As a dog groomer, I never had a problem finding work no matter what part of the country I wanted to live. The most important thing is to find something you actually enjoy or you'll never be happy with your choice. The school aptitude test said I should be an accountant and yes I am good at it but would be miserable working in an office. You've got time on your side. Good luck

Get working and save money! Try to use only half of your money and get traveling now, while your young! I wouldn't worry about that second or third year off, I'd worry about never getting to the first year off. Keep records of your odd jobs in a "portfolio " to present to potential employers, something more personal than a resume'.

My advice regarding college is to start off at a community college. Focus the bulk of your course work on general ed requirements, but also try to fit in a few classes here and there that simply sound interesting. You may find a career in one of those courses.

For instance, when I was going to college, I spent three years at a community college. For my general ed science requirements I chose Astronomy and Anthropology because I thought they might be interesting subjects. I also took theatre classes as electives. Astronomy bored me to tears, but I really enjoyed my anthropology classes and gave serious thought to making that my major before I transferred to a four year college. Ultimately I decided to study Stage Lighting when it occurred to my that I would need at least a Masters Degree to not earn a living at Anthropology and I was already not earning a living at theatre.

These days I work as the Master Electrician for a venue in Southern California dealing with lighting and effects. I love what I do and couldn't be happier with my career path. I use the lessons learned while earning my degree all the time at work, but have learned considerably more through work experience and continuing education.

My dad on the other hand, barely passed high school, never went to college, and after a brief stint in The Marine Corps, drove tow trucks for 40 years before poor health forced him to retire. He loved driving those trucks and was very good at what he did. More importantly, he was happy with his career choice.

As for whether college is the right choice for you, I don't know. Ultimately, regardless of what anyone on this site or elsewhere tells you, it's your life and you need to make your own decisionas. Just keep doing what your doing now and try to make those decisions informed decisions.

While college can be a great thing for many people, it isn't for everybody. Don't feel bad if you put it off to later. It's much more likely that if you wait and then decide to go that you will know what you really want to do and will get the full value from it. Far too many people go too young and its a total waste of time and MONEY!

I think you have a great plan!
Bob

I agree with Bob....College is some where you go to perfect what your good at....not decide that something might work.

I spent 4 years in Med school only to finish up my life as an Industrial Plumber/HVAC....one was a dream , the other I loved!!!

I think the most universal skills are the trades, like electrician, carpentry, welding. There are a always jobs for these. Or what about truck driving? Could get trained and grab a cdl, they are always hiring just about everywhere.

I know a guy who welds and he'd work hard for a while then take off for a while, so it gave him a lot of OT money and freedom on the downtime.

Find a good trade school, or an apprenticeship program.

IF you were my son I would tell you this:
For now, finish High School and keep it college prep where you can. That way if you decide later to attend college you will spend less time making up for those basic courses.
After that, go travel. Take at least a year and go look about.
You don't have near enough information now to decide what you want to do with your life anyway, so have some fun learning about your self and your world. As long as you stay out of drugs and alcohol, you could only benefit from your experiences.
As for a long term career, you don't have enough experience to decide that now. I don't mean that you shouldn't try things now. All the previous suggestions are good things to try, HVAC, tow truck driver, health care, etc. If you can land an entry level spot there then go for it. Even flipping burgers is a learning experience. But a good work ethic and good physical condition will serve you well. Better than a degree of other piece of paper at this point.
-Bill-