boondocking around NOLA and the Gulf of Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qxxx

Reaction score
Anyone tried boondocking in those areas? I have a shy engine mechanic friend who is hesitant to ask for herself, LOL.

WHERE'S THAT "LOL" BUTTON???!!!???

And I'm a non-engine Fixer of Broke Stuff. :D
Muggles: Qxxx and I are both Firefly fans... deal with it, or Assimilate into Our Cult. ;)

Less Geekily:
It's time I start researching where to spend this winter.

I'm inclined to not have a catastrophic engine failure and get stuck in the far North of Wisconsin. That's Requirement A. :)

Requirement B is Quiet.

Req C: I need to minimize travel (i.e. gas consumption), so I'm thinking center-ish of the country (i.e. not SW AZ).
Ideally, once I'm "there", I do not want to move often, and not far.
I'm out here to do volunteer work, not to "travel".
I also want to avoid Scary Monster Bugs. Y'all know the sort of things that creep out most people.

Last year, I was planning to start in the northern OK National Grasslands, then drift very slowly around that general region, most likely to include northeast NM.

Kaylee, everyone knows you're not "the" shy engine mechanic :dodgy: . I still wonder if people boondock along the Gulf. I did do a search but found de nada.

LOL!
I have read reports of boondocking along the Texas part of the Gulf.
One factor mentioned was salt air & rust. #ScaryMonsters#
That, and the distance, make me inclined to just barely drift into Texas (have always wanted to visit, for the birds).

There are a few campgrounds in that area and of course walmarts. As for boondocking, unless you could find an understanding landowner, nope.

Owl, do you know anything about camping on the "beach" by the Gulf? Some years ago, I did camp on North Padre Island in south TX.

Yes, they still allow camping on North and even some of the other beaches in the area. Holiday weekends can be a nightmare but surprisingly most other days are pretty nice. Weather is real important down there as I'm sure you know. lol

arhly & Qxxx: thanks!

That link eventually got me to this excellent region-based WMA finder map (ideal for those of us who don't know where each WMA is):
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/wma/find_a_wma/

Searched a bunch, and the permit is called a "Limited Public Use (LPU) Permit".
I couldn't find a master overview page.
Of the pages I checked, this had the most info about the LPU & camping:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/faq.phtml
Camping for more than 14 consecutive days on the same unit of public hunting lands, or for more than 21 days in any 30-day period is prohibited.
Ok, so that sounds doable.
For 9 days each "month", I could pop out to a neighboring state, or mix in some visits to friends in the area.
Are there low cost campgrounds that might be an option for some of those 9 days "out" periods?

Any other advice from experienced users would be welcome. :)
In particular, I welcome recommendations for specific campsites in specific WMAs that are quiet & have cellular access.

Speaking about the beaches on the upper part of the coastal bend in Texas (the part between, say, Rockport, Texas, and the Louisiana line) I can tell you that you are not allowed to camp overnight on the beach at Galveston any more, but you are still allowed to do so on the other side of the Houston Ship Channel on Bolivar peninsula. You take the ferry from Galveston over there to get to it.

There are also lots of places along the shores of Galveston Bay on the west and north sides of the bay where you can stealth park overnight without being bothered, but you can't set up camp and you'll have to move every day. Don't try it at Galveston, though. They're pretty strict about overnight parking on the seawall and on the beach there, sorry to say.

Johnny

Thanks johhny, Bolivar Peninsula looks nice. Looks like you do have to get a parking sticker for $10 to be proper. 27 miles of sun and surf in the winter. I am hoping the beach is fairly firmly packed for driving.

https://www.crystalbeach.com/camping.htm
"Camping is allowed anywhere on the 27 miles of beaches of Crystal Beach and Bolivar Peninsula. You can drive the beach and pick a spot to set up camp. Campfires are allowed".

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/beach-camping-near-high-island-texas-111447.html

Ten bucks for a year isn't bad at all. Of course, pretty soon, I'll have a vehicle so covered with stickers no one can tell if I am stealth camping or not, and I'll be paying 200.00 a year to camp at places all over the US :)

"I'll be paying 200.00 a year to camp at places all over the US".

55 cents a day. What a deal. Now, if you can learn to eat for 55 cents a day, you've got it made. :p

Kayle said:
Req C: I need to minimize travel (i.e. gas consumption), so I'm thinking center-ish of the country (i.e. not SW AZ).
Ideally, once I'm "there", I do not want to move often, and not far.
I'm out here to do volunteer work, not to "travel".
I also want to avoid Scary Monster Bugs. Y'all know the sort of things that creep out most people.

I recently started looking for wild camping spots along the gulf, too. I'm in Illinois and can't afford to travel to east, nor west, coasts yet. So I'm looking at what is between southern Illinois and the Gulf (to get out of the snow come December). I found numerous boondocking spots along the Gulf via Campendium, freecampsites.net and iOverlander.

Rutherford Beach sounds good near the Louisiana/Texas border:

https://www.campendium.com/rutherford-beach?

Also noticed many free campsites in Arkansas that I hope to try out.

Qxxx said:
Thanks johhny, Bolivar Peninsula looks nice. Looks like you do have to get a parking sticker for $10 to be proper. 27 miles of sun and surf in the winter. I am hoping the beach is fairly firmly packed for driving.

https://www.crystalbeach.com/camping.htm
"Camping is allowed anywhere on the 27 miles of beaches of Crystal Beach and Bolivar Peninsula. You can drive the beach and pick a spot to set up camp. Campfires are allowed".

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/beach-camping-near-high-island-texas-111447.html

When you go South from Winnie, Tx., you will cross a tall bridge called High Island bridge. A mile or so later, the road will make a hard right. To the left of that is a pull off. That’s crystal beach. Right when you turn in, there will be a small shack with a porta potti.

The beach is very drivable with a 2wd van. Here is what you will see.

I took this pic last week.

4bab9eb8c3f67ff70841f4504cfde223.jpg

I’m from Louisiana and I work on boats. I know every spot there is between Bolivar and Panama City, FL.

Feel free to ask away.

If you make it to Gulf Shores, AL., you have to pay for beach parking. BUT, 2 miles down the road is Orange Beach, AL., and there are small parking lots between condos. They’re free in Orange Beach. And no signs that say no overnight parking. I’ve stayed there before.

Also all the beach access points have outdoor showers and bathrooms. So you can take a bathing suit shower at night and no one will be around after dark.

The Louisiana coast is pretty bare. Lots of swamp lands. But I can give you some great spots to stay.

It is those tiny little bite sized creatures that will get you.You will absolutely need good window sock screens.

CaptainBuilt said:
If you make it to Gulf Shores, AL., you have to pay for beach parking. BUT, 2 miles down the road is Orange Beach, AL., and there are small parking lots between condos. They’re free in Orange Beach. And no signs that say no overnight parking. I’ve stayed there before.

Also all the beach access points have outdoor showers and bathrooms. So you can take a bathing suit shower at night and no one will be around after dark.

The Louisiana coast is pretty bare. Lots of swamp lands. But I can give you some great spots to stay.
You are going to be a great resource for us:)

Thanks!