And So It Begins ... Again ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon33w

Reaction score
If you haven't heard ... After the missus and I got back together we moved up to Phoenix, stayed there for 2 years, and then moved back down and into a house while starting our company. I've been working solely for that company and have sunk just about everything I have into it. Well ... Our relationship has ended ... Again. But this time, I have no job, my security clearance has gone inactive from lack of use, my bankroll is sunk into the business, and I even sold my daily driver since I was working from home.

So ... Today I picked up my new home. A 1997 Chevy 2500, 5.7, rebuilt AC, 181k miles, and a reasonable amount of work into it. Steering/suspension is tight, starts and runs smooth, and the shifts are like butter. Now, there's a few things to address but nothing unreasonable (pinion seal and water pump being the big ones). Then I start converting it.

Sadly, I wont be able to document the build very well since all of the production company equipment now belongs to her. Not to mention my timeline and budget. I'm hoping to sell my last toy soon since every dollar I have currently is going to be spent on the van + maintenance + build. But, at least I have a van ... :)

I'm trying to keep my head up but between the general crappiness of the situation, the emotional trauma, and my ongoing struggles with depression and PTSD ... I dunno. We'll see.

Making lists, keeping myself busy, and working towards goals certainly helps. Wish me luck!

Well, at least you now have a starting point. Congrats on getting the Chevy Van.
PS, I'm no stranger to losing everything due to breakups.

I'm glad I found it. Had to drive 4 hours there and 4 hours back to get it but it was almost exactly what I was after and one of the VERY few options in my price range.

Things are starting to go your way already.

cool,are you going to do the pinion seal?

I'm planning on doing the pinion seal and water pump on Monday. I'd do it tomorrow but that time is already called for.
My tune-ups are usually pretty in depth but this time might just have to stop there for now.

going to do the mark the nut method? i have a dana 60hd with spacers not crush sleeve and i'm scared of changing mine,mess it up and poof goes your rear end,i dont have the right sized socket so that's my excuse

Yeah, shouldn't be a biggie though I don't have air tools so there might be some cussing involved, haha. Thinking I'll probably put the U clamps back on, slip a bar through, and then bang that towards the front.

Hmm, that's a tough one. All too easy to be a little off. You could always yank the diff cover and lock everything down, no? Never done one with spacers myself so I'm not sure but if it's a slow leak and you're aware of it then it can be hard to justify. $5-10 a quart for the oil so if you're only losing a half quart a month or so then it can be hard to justify the risk.

Congratulations on finding your van!! Just did the start over from $0 myself 3 years ago! Time passes quickly when you're having fun, so make it fun!! :)

I'm glad I could find ANYTHING viable that wouldn't break the bank. Got lucky!
Once I'm stable I plan to take advantage of the freedom like I couldn't before.
While the build-out is difficult on a budget I do really love to build and work on things.
At the very least, there's a cathartic effect to the whole thing.

This morning I picked up some maintenance bits, aqua-tainers, a camp toilet, stove, and some misc.
Can't start the build on it yet but I was at the stores anyways so why not? Haha
I already have my build plan and design all drawn up. Fairly standard setup minus the blocking of doors I will do.

"Hold onto your butts"

QOfHwQW.jpg

congrats on the van find. good luck hope you can make it to RTR. BTW doing the pinion seal with the spacer and no crush sleeve is super easy because it's almost impossible to over tighten the pinion nut. highdesertranger

bigsallysmom said:
Looks like you are working at an awesome pace.

Well, any slower of a pace really isn't an option, haha. 
But also, it keeps me focused and goal oriented.