You Ain't Right Club

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough crowd here on this thread, where is the comic with the sledge hammer and watermelons asking "Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?"

Probably why the comic needs the hammer and the melons in their act.

Nope, he just likes to get back at the hecklers on the front row!

I beg to differ, they can be called a flock but then again so can birds.  The people who tradionally tend sheep are called shepherds and sheep dogs are in the clasification of herding dogs. so if they are being herded they are therefore indeed a herd.

Well I have owned herds of cattle and flocks of sheep, I have never owned a herd of sheep. Calling sheep a herd ain't going to get you to far with ranchers. kinda like going to a rodeo with a PETA sticker on your bumper. But hey if you want to call them a herd go right ahead. But just to let you know, That ain't right.

Highdesertranger

Yes a group of sheep is called a flock not a heard. But if you want to move a flock of sheep you heard them (Oh my I just realize what this sounds)you don’t flock them. There are rumors that some shepherds do but I’m going to leave that to your imagination, And try to get the idea out of my head.

According to the "Book of Saint Albans" published in 1486 it is a "flock of sheep". Did you know a group of wombats is called a "wisdom" but few people have ever used this term because they never gather in groups in the wild? Doesn't seem very wise to have a word for something that never happens but I guess people need something to do! So let's capture a wisdom of wombats so we can use the word and help keep language alive! Speaking of stupid shit did you know wombats poop comes out in almost perfect cubes! How do they do that? You will win a lot of friends playing trivia with that one!

If you want to get technical and ultra picky the sheep in question are neither a herd or a flock. They would be called a band.

Band is the ternminology for a large sized group of sheep feeding on open grange land that are being herded by dogs and the occassional prescence nearby of a human. So what differntiats these is it is a very large amount of sheep and they are on open range public land, they are not on private property.

The band keeps singing the same tune over and over. There are a few black sheep in the band. I tried counting them but got drowsy and was afraid of falling asleep while driving by on my way out to comply with the eviction notice. I guess the sheep got to stay as they don't have opposible thumbs for lighting fires.

Actually the sheep are lessening the fire danger by grazing.

Ugh I never herd the term band of sheep but sure enough 1,000 sheep is a band. learn something new everyday. Thanks

Highdesertranger

Let’s not gather a murder of crows. 

A bloat of hippos , a zeal of zebras.  

Do you herd them?  I say let  basking crocodiles bask.

highdesertranger said:
Actually the sheep are lessening the fire danger by grazing.

Ugh I never herd the term band of sheep but sure enough 1,000 sheep is a band.  learn something new everyday.  Thanks

Highdesertranger
A band as I read about it does not have to be as large as 1,000 woolies but it is a larger number of animals than what even a big a farm with fenced in fields could support.

I did help the sheep dogs move the sheep across the roadway. I gave my car horn a beep and then  a hu dred or so of the stragglers took note and started running across the road. The dogs were tagging at the far end and came up to my car window. I snapped a few photos but have not yet taken the time to resize them for posting.

Terms that we use and what they mean are always regional. I think it is a natural defense that alerts us to an "outsider".

I know I'm dealing with an outsider when they generically label a herd of cattle as simply cows, which of course is just momma's. A herd of cattle will have heifers and steers and possibly a bull.

I speak with many folks raising sheep and they all refer to them as a herd. Maybe closer to the cities they call them flocks but not once have I heard that term used in my neck of the woods. 10 head I'd likely b think of as a flock... 100 head definitely a herd.

https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/group-sheep-called-9563a42eb1f5c4ec

I love the fluidity of words and meanings. It is the evidence of a dynamic society for good or bad. Freedom of speech allows for all kinds of terms and meanings. And we all know who is part of our " tribe" by their choice of those words.

Shamalama Bingbang

And if you have more than 10 sheep and one bull in the same field is called a “woolly bully”.

Just popped in to see how HDR was doin' ,,,,keep yer head above water in the YARC Buddy, they'll swamp ya if they can !

Herd , flock ,,orrrrrrr whatever , I'll tell you this.
When they're on the wrong side of a fence ,,,,it could be problematic ! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh........

TFTD
Things have gone back to nothing here. !
Kinda boring huh ?