You Ain't Right Club

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cammalu I am happy for you. I hope you enjoy your new rig. I am happy when people are able to sell their house and rv full time. I am happy when people decide they want a sticks and bricks again. I am happy when people downsize and when they upsize. I wish everyone could be satisfied where they are in life. I try not to get offended when someone is ranting about the boomers living the lie, working all their lives so they can enjoy a little bit of life. I try not to get offended when people are so self-righteous about how little they live on. I am happy that is where they want to be in life. If they want more, we all know how to get there. I chose to work hard and play hard. Everyone I know had the same opportunities that I had. They made different choices. I do not feel guilty, or feel obligated to help them. They did not help me when I was raising kids and going to work. Some of our choices bear consequences many decades later. When my sister and one of my daughters chose not to have kids, they enjoyed their life. I will not worry that they do not have anyone to take care of them, or help them as they age. That is not promised, but your odds are a little bit better, if you have kids and all the work they entail. I am sure they did not feel guilty, when they were young and living the good life without responsibilities and without thinking about how or why they should have helped me.

So, enjoy your wonderful, expensive new rig. You have a great heart, you have invited everyone to your sticks and bricks and have made everyone feel welcome at the YARC camp in Quartzite. You deserve to be happy. Good on ya!!

Debbie, there is a thin line around here between rightness and you ain't rightness. Cammalu knows I'm teasin' her. She posted a thread in the RV section a few weeks ago, and everyone tried to help her. She has very special needs, such as needing "a lot of counter space". We're all happy for her that she is fluent enough to afford a half-million dollar RV. We determined that I could fit my entire van into the living room of her new rig.

I pretend to be a hard-core minimalist living in a van with 2 rats as pets, but in reality I live in S&B in a 23rd floor "pad" with a 200-mile view in all directions. :cool: Life is good. My hero is Camo Dave (not!!). He lives in S&B but pretends to be some kind of genuine RVer, and scuttle-butts about all the youtube RVers, just to make money off of them. He ain't right neither.

Qxxx, My rant was not directed to you. I'm pretty sure most people that post in YARC know Cammalu and love her. But sometimes, it gets tiring to think that being poor is some level to aspire to. There are many people that have more, and many people who have less. In fact, at different times in our lives, most of us can fall anywhere on the spectrum. Some people sell everything to buy their Class A. Some have a large home and disposable income but don't want to spend it on depreciating assets. I just want us all to be happy for each other in their choices. I have a lot to learn from peeps on this forum. I also have some experience to share. I don't want those who have more, to have to be shamed into silence.

Thanks Deb. I went with a larger RV because John has a terribly bad back and was stuck in a creaky recliner because he couldn’t lie down. I searched for a rig that had space for an adjustable bed for him and I had to go pretty big for that. He was in horrible pain and miserable and I’m hoping this solves that problem.

You’ve got me all wrong about being nice and inviting people to camp at my pond. When they get here I put them to work feeding the bass or raccoons. I’ll have the next one that stops on the tractor or mower!!![emoji12]

PS. To Qzxxx. This rig didn’t cost half a million dollars you looney lol.

Well I got bored today so I read the whole thing.  Wow! Some pretty funny stories there as well as a few low points. 
On a safety note @PODEB: When parking, always set the parking brake, that's why it is called the parking brake. Because of stories like yours, I always double check it.
I am a believer in Bigfoot, and will tell you about my experience on Mount Hood decades ago when Bigfoot was not a big thing like it is now. I was camping with a friend, and we were up there during the wild blueberry harvest, camped by a small lake. There were some native people in the area harvesting the berries. It was great, sunny days and none of the bad weather Hood is known for. We had camped a long time and were running out of food, except for brown rice and the wild blueberries we had nothing to eat. But when you are having fun camping, going back to town is just not an option. So one day a very old woman came by and told us of a legendary wild man who lived in the area and asked if we had seen him. She said he was wild and wore leather clothes, and had a long whip that he cracked in the air to drive away the people. Of course we had not seen anybody up there and assumed that she was telling a wild tale to these dumb kids, trying to get us to leave. Well that very night was clear and the stars were so bright, I can remember being so tired from the day that I was sleeping hard. My friend had built a fire and we were sleeping on the ground around it. I was awakened in the middle of the night by something whipping the air above my face, and sparks would fly up from the fire with a crackling sound. I did not see a bird or bat making the sensation of air moving against my face, and did not see a creature either. The next day my friend was looking for footprints in the mud by the small lake, but after that night the good vibe we had going was gone, and we decided to leave that paradise on the mountain. Was it the breath of Bigfoot? Was it a bird, or some other creature? Was it the legendary wild man who lived alone up there? Was it a sudden violent gust of  mountain wind? We will never know.     ~crofter

PODebbie said:
I don't want those who have more, to have to be shamed into silence.

Haha. Shame me into silence? Good luck! What so many don’t realize is that the size of your rig doesn’t always mean the size of your pocketbook. I camp with people in all different sizes of rigs from car camping on up.

These people are also from all walks of life and include a retired truck driver, an aerial photographer, retired military, a retired shrink, a retired biology professor, a lawyer who I think still can take cases, an author and many more. It just runs thru the spectrum but we enjoy each other’s company. Some may be quite well off but be in a small camper or van. It’s just ridiculous to try to judge by what a person is driving because you’ll often be wrong.

I never had a ton of money but I always worked at having good credit. I moved to an area of the country where you can actually still buy property at a good rate. I bought a few rental homes with no money down and the renters pay a fair price which is more than paying the mortgages.

You don’t have to live in LA and pay those outrageous prices. Last year I bought a mobile home, old gas station and a 3 bd 2 ba house all on five acres with a pond for $25,000. They are all fixer uppers. The mobile home was fixed up and rented last summer and more than pays the mortgage on the whole place.

With good credit and a bit of effort the deals are out there. I’ve never paid more than 25,000 on a rental house and after fixing them they are really cute (actually better than my own house).

I haven’t lived in my house for a few years. I moved my niece and her hubby in and it’s pretty much their problem. They also manage the rentals. I. The summer months we are here in KY for the renovation of the other buildings and to visit family. We are living in the RV in the driveway sorta.

I’m not rich I just try to make good decisions.

Cammalu said:
No comment. If I post pics I’ll be vilified.
yea they pretend to joke at ya but they mean what they say......LOL   who are we kidding here :)

jokes are ways of getting at ya and pretending ya don't mean what you say and I been hit on this site also and never understanding the true experiences of others and what they do on the road in their fancy rigs and have some options others might not want or can get.  UGH is all I can say to it truly without getting the boot also here :) Keep it light and fluffy and endure the stupid comments that do fly and let the site live on in its judgements.

I would have said a big bird ( Ibelieve in Big Bird too) but then there was that cracki g sound not like a bird. Prob was the wild man.   -crofter

Well said, Cammilu. As most of you know, I started this journey in my 21yo car. I never once felt that any of my fellow campers looked down on me for not having a bigger or better rig.

I was taught as a child not to judge a book by its cover. That's still good advice. I am more interested in the vehicle's occupants than the vehicle itself. Shaming others for having something bigger or newer? I really haven't seen that at all, and I have camped with people who travel with cars, trucks, vans, schoolies, RVs, you name it.

If someone was trying to shame me because of my rig, my clothes, or anything else, I would just walk away. That's probably not someone I want to engage.

However, I have been nothing short of amazed at the nomadic community. I have found them for the most part to be friendly, kind, compassionate, and fun to be around.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Encouraging people to do the best they can with what they have is still admirable even if they have a lot. Even if you don't live simply, one shouldn't be encouraged to be wasteful. One of the things I learned while teaching on the reservation was some tribes believe everyone in the tribe should share equally all that they have in order for everyone to live together happily. If one member kept more than the least member had they were justified in taking what the person with more had in order to make them a better person than they wanted to be. One reason I like living around very few people! LOL!!!

So how is it even possible to be judged in the YARC thread- unless you aint right! !
It is possible to hsve too big of a rig, if your destination is really small or on a road with really tight turns. Then you have to back that big rig out of there, not fun.  -crofter

moontiger said:
Well said, Cammilu. As most of you know, I started this journey in my 21yo car. I never once felt that any of my fellow campers looked down on me for not having a bigger or better rig.

I was actually kinda jealous Paulette that it was so much easier for you to take a trip to Walmart when I had to lug over that RV.

I hope you are ready to have fun with me again and head out to the desert on the puttputt!!

Yep. I am definitely ready for some new adventures with you in the putt-putt. [emoji7]

Also hope to join you for the quilting/sewing meetups. I will bring my crochet or cross stitch or whatever I am working on. Never been into rock hounding, but who knows, I might like that as well.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
When they get here I put them to work feeding the bass or raccoons. I’ll have the next one that stops on the tractor or mower!!![emoji12]

PS. To Qzxxx. This rig didn’t cost half a million dollars  you looney lol.
I drove a tractor once, It was fun, I would love to do that again. Riding lawn mowers OK too. Push mowers I will push off a cliff or into the street so don't offer one of those to me if I visit.

Every one in a full size van or RV can look down on me in my little travel trailer cause they are all sitting up higher. I guess that means I will be getting looked down on quite frequently, especially by those big rig truck drivers when I pull into a truck stop.

Maki you can come over and drive the little tractor and the mowers to your hearts content. The mowing never seems to end. The tractor has a bucket you you can move dirt or dig around if you want too.

This is John on it from my window a couple days ago.
eb00c356e97c8ea68014d9bc70b6a0d2.jpg

It’s a pretty nifty fun little toy.

Latest posts