You Ain't Right Club

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shadowmoss
Whaaaaaaaat ?
You've been around for a while now....
You're not in YARC yet ??
Is that your final story ?
Just wanting to be a member makes you not right.

OK.
You're in.
I never said it would be hard.

naturelover

It wasn't exactly "The Great Escape" but what the hey , you're out here enjoying the open road.
That's the important part.

I was just wondering if I might get some ideas on breaking mom out of lock down for a drive or a take out lunch at the seashore......If I do , she gets quarantine for 10 days..... :p

So many don't understand the true meaning of being in the You "Ain't Right" Club ..
It's the "You Ain't Right Club" not the "I Ain't Right Club".
It's all in the quotation marks skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Rvpopeye - Thank God I got out before the Covid crap hit the fan. Now as to you “ain’t right” I didn’t have to read all 2000+ posts to figure that out. I just read a few of your posts and I knew you “ain’t right”. I used to think I was all right but then I realized if I was all right I’d fall over I must be half left. Problem is which half left? I will gladly pay you Thursday for a hamburger today.

I can't find the YARC bar at LaPosa South. Just arrived thi It was a long ride from Seattle to get here and I could use an adult beverage. Well maybe tomorrow one of you will let me know where you located it this year.

The original YARC site is rumored to be taken by a different group. I'll let those actually there chime in on what they find. I think the abnorm group will arrive sometime this weekend or right after.

I looked for jimindenver's rig off and on all day today, as I was told he is holding the new spot for YARC. Didn't see his rig and he hasn't answered the PM I sent him. (I don't think he checks here everyday.)

Yes, Abnorm says he'll be here in the next few days.

I don't have tanks, so I need to be near a vault toilet anyhow. Found a spot near the pavilion where I think I'll stay for the time being.

It's all good, things will coalesce eventually.

And the weather is near perfect.

Hi.  I'm Josh and I ain't right.

Yeah, I'm a musician, but not a good one, so not sure that qualifies me by default, but...

I got a degree in Psychology from UCSC in 1989.  It was more like a PhD in smoking weed.  I was trying to deal with my anxiety, which haunts me to this day.  Thanks, genetics.

Used the degree to work in mental health until 3 months ago.  Worked in a long-term locked facility for 4 years, graduated to outpatient case management for a whole lotta years, then graduated to management.  It sucked.  I mean, I like helping people, and Schizophrenia is fascinating.  Somehow I was able to relate to everyone and help them, but it was always stressful, mostly due to my superiors, 90% crazier than me, criticizing everything I tried to do.

So yeah, tolerated that abuse for like 30 years, tolerating daily death threats and such, until one day I left my gun in the bathroom while taking a dump.  I had a permit, but leaving it in the bathroom was a serious oops.  Of course I was fired and I deserved it.  

A good friend gave me a job back at the locked SNF where it all started after college.  It was all fun and games, but didn't pay enough, then the dreaded COVID hit a few months ago and I was like, "OH HELL NO."  Sold the house, bought a new RV and hit the road.  

They have like 27 cases and growing.  I'm not super high risk but I'm old, 54, and don't wanna die just yet.  Wasn't having any fun anyway, working full time just to a afford a crappy house in a crappy town and NOTHING ELSE.  For someone prone to depression, not the best of circumstances.

So to heck with it.  Sold the house, all my stuff, bought a new Winnebago Class C and hit the road.  

It was AMAZING for the first couple months, running from the cops around Monterey, CA, and the Sierra Nevada, paying nothing for camping, breaking the rules, doing my thing.  Then here come the fires.  Had to bail from Tioga Pass and head East.  No prob.  The dog and I hit a bunch of National Parks throughout California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and Arizona.  It was fun.

Mom needed shoulder surgery so I headed back toward CA at some point.  Got here and man, it sucks.  I left home a lotta years ago and remember why I can't spend more than a couple hours around the parents.  Dad is Captain Anxiety.  Mom is Captain Alcohol.  The plan was to be here a couple weeks while mom recovered from shoulder replacement.  **** me if Dad didn't need a pacemaker while here, too, so I'm here for another several weeks.  I can't sleep.  I'm drinking A LOT.  The butterflies in my stomach have turned into angry hornets.  

I don't regret anything, but it's difficult.  Everyone at the old job has tested positive for COVID.  People have started to die.  It's just, Dad keeps referring to me as homeless and unemployed, despite my best efforts to make money blogging, making YouTube videos, and taking photos, which aren't all that bad.  

So, suffice it to say I ain't right.  My heart tells me I'm doing the right thing, avoiding the dreaded virus and helping family, living on my savings, following my dreams, yet I'm failing at making any money on anything and a little nervous about the long term.  Add to that, despite a lifetime of loving to drive, it freaks me out anymore. and some days I can barely do 100 miles.

I dunno.  Guess I just need a little support.  I'll be fine.  I always have been fine.  But today, I'm not fine.

There are lots of seasonal jobs on coolworks.com and many volunteer positions that will give you a free full hookup lot to help stretch your money till something you enjoy comes along. Drinking can cause you some real problems so less is better, you won’t be able to help your parents if you don’t take care of yourself so you are better off to leave if it will destroy you by staying. You are not helping if you just cause problems. Many of the ski areas are just getting ready to open up hopefully, maybe get a weekend job to get away some. Covid 19 is a real concern and you may want to wait till a vaccine is available. Till then take some weekend trips. Good luck stay safe.

Welcome Josh,
Being at home and helping your parents in a place you don't want to be is stressful, but see it for what it is. Temporary.

Get a calendar and set a day for your departure, and count the days down. That will give you something to look forward too.
Keep off the booze, and don't drink with mom, it is not helping neither of you. You are a pro, you know it doesn't take much to become totally hooked on the booze, you have seen it.

While you are at it, pick a place you want to be, and check the job possibilities there.
It is bad now, but the bad (as well as the good) does not last for ever. Instead of wallowing in the depths of misery look ahead to better days.
We are here for support if you need it. You WILL be fine.

Sofisintown said:
Welcome Josh,
Being at home and helping your parents in a place you don't want to be is stressful, but see it for what it is. Temporary.

Get a calendar and set a day for your departure, and count the days down. That will give you something to look forward too.
Keep off the booze, and don't drink with mom, it is not helping neither of you. You are a pro, you know it doesn't take much to become totally hooked on the booze, you have seen it.

While you are at it, pick a place you want to be, and check the job possibilities there.
It is bad now, but the bad (as well as the good) does not last for ever. Instead of wallowing in the depths of misery look ahead to better days.
We are here for support if you need it. You WILL be fine.

Great advice, Sofi.

And Josh? I've been there. I always had a difficult relationship with my mom, but for the last 6 months of her life, I elected to go live with her and my developmentally disabled brother, so she could stay in her house for as long as possible. Someone needed to be the responsible adult. Neither age nor advanced Alzheimers had mellowed her out. And because I couldn't leave them for any length of time, it was a lot like being in prison. Not a bit fun.

Still, I'm glad I did it, and I was glad at the time. Whatever her failings, she spent a lot of years keeping me warm, fed, safe, and healthy, when she would rather have been doing something else, and I strongly felt I was repaying a karmic debt. The trick is to refuse, as much as possible, getting drawn into the family theater. You know who you are, and you are no longer that kid who had to navigate mysterious waters. It's only temporary.

Josh
You're in ! On more counts than one ...
lifetime membership granted ,,,and earned by the sound of it !!!
Great story .

"Ain't Right" just "Ain't Right" and you "Ain't",,,right ?
Crappy musician ?? No problem !
Even the best think they suck sometimes !
It's true I tell ya !

Report to vandwellerforum.com for further instructions.....

You'll do well out here in the land of nomads.
100 miles is a perfect distance you get to stop and smell the roses .....OK , you might want to go a little faster when going by feed lots ! ,,,you can smell those doggies at least 50 miles away if you're downwind !!!!!!

workamper.com and workampingjobs.com.... more want ads for workampers.
probably all of those national parks are staffed by workampers .
Amazon hires seasonals and buys you a site too.

Lots of job offerings booths at the big tent in Quartzsite AZ. plus free dispersed camping .

Thanks, new friends :). It's so nice to have people who understand.  Today was better.  Dumped the black tank.  It's refreshing, somehow.  Watched Bob's live stream and somehow stumbled upon the Volunteer Coordinator job, so spent some time on the 'ole resume.  Dunno enough about how HOWA works, prolly, but seems right up my alley.  Anywho, thanks for your support!  Plan to be back on the road 1/15/21.  I have a couple "secret" spots around Monterey and Pacific Grove, so will likely head there for some ocean air before heading to AZ for the rest of Winter.

Weird I got in big trouble for addressing one person and other people do it and no hand slap but that particular mod is always after everything I post. No matter what.

josh
Looks like you're getting a good start !
I posted a job website wrong before ,,, Workamper.com should have been WorkamperNews.com .

LERCA
Mods don't usually pay attention to someone that hasn't posted something that requires it.
I moment of self reflection may help you to find the path of less resistance...

Now the mod that monitors me owes me at least one rate point ! Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

I think you're doing not right, just right!
Give me the company of those that have been bent till it feels "broken" and survived.

I offer this in response to your relationship with anxiety, not as dogma or "truth" but as an optional view of it.

Alan Watts, philosophical entertainer, died in mid 70's
"A message for an age of anxiety".

Aloha YARC people. Your gnome at Quartzsite is alone again. No campers camped, no chairs or rugs. RUN!

Popeye, i just gave you a rate point but just to exetcute my freedom of choice to do it. Naturally it was not because I thought you did or did not deserve a point.  I am a trend setter, not a trend follower.  Today I might decide to give everyone I read a posting from a rating point just because it is the first day of December and I am in the sun instead of being in soggy Seattle.

I got no stinken badges cause I have not managed to steal any yet. But I will be skulking around YARC camp looking to grab some this winter. I am not clever enough to earn a stinkin badge so stealing a whole bunch of them is my only option. Too bad I can't trade them in for  something worth having like an ice cream filled waffle cone.

Holy cow Maki. Stealing stinkin badges certainly makes you not right. I nominate you for a badge for thinking about stealing an awful Stinkin badge!

Ravella we are on our way. Looks like tonight might be Albuquerque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk