Yosemite boondock

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
PROBABLY A HDR question I drive over 120 (Tioga) quite often and have pulled off the road looking for a spot taking small dirt roads. Have never really found anything the whole place seems to be under controls has anyone had any luck with this?

the 120 east from the junction of 395 to Benton Junction is wide open for boondocking. there are some great spots there. from the 395 west it's highly regulated. right before the Park there is a road to the north to saddlebag lake. you used to be able to boondock there but I believe not any more. you can go north or south on 395 to find many spots. my favorites are after Conway summit to the north the most beautiful boondocking in the eastern sierras. highdesertranger

Thanks I figured THE PARK is off limits but will try saddlebag and if not Conway. Buy you a few beers at The Boonies, Dogs are OK.

Aramark just got the consession bid from NPS for the park. The gate probably won't be manned after 10 at night with NPS lack of funding and probably stealth camping possible as campground hosts are usually not at Aramark controlled parks! I guess there is a little outlaw in all of us!

OK my senior status just evolved, after 10PM 2 hours after bed time perhaps leave later and try to stay up longer Yuk we shall see leaving on 6/30/16

wagoneer said:
OK my senior status just evolved, after 10PM 2 hours after bed time perhaps leave later and try to stay up longer Yuk we shall see leaving on 6/30/16

I just go to any of the hotel parking lots and Voila, good to go.

well there are no hotels on the 120 east of Yosemite. there are a couple in Lee Vining but their parking lots are really small. I don't think they would take kindly to someone taking up a spot without staying in the motel. highdesertranger

All of the land around Mono Lake is BLM and easily boondocked. No campfires without permit though, and the locals will call the police out to any campfire they see.

On the West side of Yosemite, just outside the Hetch Hetchy entrance, is boondocking in the Stanislaus National Forest.