Xterra Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Project_X

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Here's a really quick write up on my Xterra build to maybe spark a few ideas for your own project. It's not perfect, but I have been in

it for over 2 months now and it has worked out very well for my needs.

Started by taking the seats out to see what I was working with and I used the same seat bolts to bolt down the joist hangers. Using a titanium drill bit I drilled holes in the bottom of the joist hangers large enough to fit the 17mm bolts. Towards the rear hatch I put 2 1/2" L braces to screw into the 2x4's. With the seats out there seemed to be more of a hollow echo so I used silicone in the holes I didn't use and put Dynamat down to help with the noise.  
GetAttachmentThumbnail

I started with a 2x8 in the front that I screwed down. Eventually i'll have to notch out an inch or so for the 2x4's to lay level.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

I used 3/4" Plywood which was the strongest subfloor material from The Home Depot and what the research that I did plywood was stronger, lighter, and safer to sleep on than OSB. The cuts are sloppy as I did all my cuts with a cheap Black and Decker jigsaw. The hinges I used were continuous hinges from The Home Depot that I cut to size with a hack saw. The platform was screwed in to the floor joists with 2" screws.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

This is the finished platform at the moment. I used a $5 3 qt stainless steel mixing bowl from Walmart for the sink and a $20 pump faucet from amazon. I'll have to add some pictures of the fresh and grey water tanks, but for the fresh water I used a 2 gal weed sprayer tank that I can use for a shower with decent water pressure. The cabinet was made from 3/4" birch and the counter top and doors were cheap $.99 leftovers from IKEA. There is a 16lb magnetic latch holding the doors shut. 
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Looks like you tried to link images from your email account. That's not going to work. You could use the forum attachment option here, or upload to an outside service like imgur.com.

Sorry everyone. I'm new to the forum and not sure how to edit my post. There's an error with the attachments so I just made a imgur.com under ProjectX7. Is there a way to share link it to this thread? 

Thanks!
Chris

Thanks for the picture update. The forum doesn't allow you to edit a post beyond a few minutes (15 mins now I think? I forget) but you made it with the link addition.

I was impressed to see that 1) none of the cuts in your plywood were straight and 2) in spite of that it came out looking great! :p

One can get far with just a bed and a sink.

TMG51 said:
Thanks for the picture update. The forum doesn't allow you to edit a post beyond a few minutes (15 mins now I think? I forget) but you made it with the link addition.

I was impressed to see that 1) none of the cuts in your plywood were straight and 2) in spite of that it came out looking great! :p

One can get far with just a bed and a sink.

Haha yeah all my cuts were done with a battery operated jigsaw in a home depot parking lot and it definitely shows. I've been living in it for two months and it's been great so far. I'm also planning a trip in August for a month off the grid in some of the most remote places in the Colorado Rockies