Women Only: Power Tools [split from W-RTR]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yo rockie

Reaction score
Glad to see someone else was thinking about tools!  I'm looking at cordless right now as I'm going to need them to build the bed and shelf.  I hated the idea of spending money and then having to leave them behind.  But then thought that maybe if I went with cordless I might be able to charge them with my solar panel....But then realized I don't know enough about solar panels to know if this is even possible.  So much to learn.

Cordless is the way to go, even if you aren't in an RV... so much better than the corded tools.

:)

Thanks Nissi,
Well then, that's decided!  I'm going to try to find a small cordless today.  Hopefully, it will be useful even after I make my platform bed and shelf.  At the very least, I'm sure someone will need a tool on the road and I can help them out.

Home Depot here rents tools too. So if its something youll only use once or twice, maybe thats the way to go.

Thanks Genie!  That's something I didn't know about and will look into.

Whatever you get keep it the same brand and voltage (like 18 or 20 etc) and you can switch batteries between multiple tools and have to keep only one charger. I like the dewalt brand.

bigsallysmom said:
Whatever you get keep it the same brand and voltage (like 18 or 20 etc) and you can switch batteries between multiple tools and have to keep only one charger.  I like the dewalt brand.

That's a good tip.  Thank you.  I've had Makita before and was very happy with them.  I guess my question really is: are they chargeable with the electric I'd capture with a solar panel?

yo rockie said:
That's a good tip.  Thank you.  I've had Makita before and was very happy with them.  I guess my question really is: are they chargeable with the electric I'd capture with a solar panel?

Yes, they are!

Some are available with 12V charging - it's a small step up to the 19V?? that most are IIRC. The other choice is the standard 120V charger plugged in to a small inverter but that means taking 12V up to 120V and then back down to the 18 or 19V of the charger.

It will all depend on how much solar you  have and how much you need to charge the batteries which of course will depend on how often you use them.

If you're still in a S&B situation and want just to do your own build take a look at pawn shops and buy the minimum amount of power tools you can get away with. Unless you can't possibly reach with a 100' power cord then simple inexpensive old fashioned plug in tools will get the job done. If you're in to collecting tools like a lot of the guys are here, then have at the new cordless power tools, otherwise spend your money on other stuff!

Personally, I found that all my cordless tools always seemed to run out of power just when I was trying to finish a job. Without a second or third battery pack I was done for the day!!

I did my entire build with only a jigsaw and a drill and did just fine! My most favorite tools weren't power tools anyways!

Almost There said:
Yes, they are!

Some are available with 12V charging - it's a small step up to the 19V?? that most are IIRC. The other choice is the standard 120V charger plugged in to a small inverter but that means taking 12V up to 120V and then back down to the 18 or 19V of the charger.

It will all depend on how much solar you  have and how much you need to charge the batteries which of course will depend on how often you use them.

If you're still in a S&B situation and want just to do your own build take a look at pawn shops and buy the minimum amount of power tools you can get away with. Unless you can't possibly reach with a 100' power cord then simple inexpensive old fashioned plug in tools will get the job done. If you're in to collecting tools like a lot of the guys are here, then have at the new cordless power tools, otherwise spend your money on other stuff!

Personally, I found that all my cordless tools always seemed to run out of power just when I was trying to finish a job. Without a second or third battery pack I was done for the day!!

I did my entire build with only a jigsaw and a drill and did just fine! My most favorite tools weren't power tools anyways!

Well, thanks Almost There, you seem to have a good grasp on the subject!  Maybe you can help me with this question: I had some Makita power tools before and was going to go that route again.  They were 18V.  I'm wondering if I should go with the less powerful 12V this time?  Would it be a better match for charging with solar?  I've been intending to go to Home Depot or Lowes but I'm pretty sure they won't have a clue what I'm talking about.

I bought the Ryobi that Bob recommended in one of his videos. They are cordless, but I could use another battery. I was terribly frightened of them- especially the skill saw because my dad had a bad accident once. But, I overcame the fear and have used the electric drill, skill saw, and jigsaw.

As Norm Abram would say, " There is no tool more important than eye protection". For anyone just starting out with power tools get some safety glasses. They are cheap and eyes are important.

yo rockie said:
Well, thanks Almost There, you seem to have a good grasp on the subject!  Maybe you can help me with this question: I had some Makita power tools before and was going to go that route again.  They were 18V.  I'm wondering if I should go with the less powerful 12V this time?  Would it be a better match for charging with solar?  I've been intending to go to Home Depot or Lowes but I'm pretty sure they won't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Haha, don't know a thing about the difference between 12V and 18V power tools except that the voltage is different. I don't think it makes a difference in charging, it probably  makes a difference in how much oomph the tool has though. Note I said probably...haven't a clue.

I've not owned cordless power tools for years. I gave up on them because the batteries always wore out for the day before I did.... :rolleyes: I went back to the old-fashioned drag the power cord around with me style tools.

This is one problem that having stuff in the women only section creates. Go ask in the regular section and 20 knowledgeable guys will give you an answer...  :D  Either that or PM one of the guys like HighDesertRanger (Mike)

I don't know about the solar inverter stuff yet but. I DO know how to run several power tools!

Ryobi is OK, but I prefer Dewalt' 12 v. as someone mentioned. A good battery charged drill like that should come with several
attachments needed. Be sure it does. Like, the reversible flat and phillips screw heads, extension head for tight places
you can't get into otherwise.

then there's the getting used to changing the heads out. If you haven't done it before have someone
show you how! Generally they come with the charger and two batteries.

Skill saws are great for slicing through wood that's over 3/4 in. thick. at straight angels But, jig saw lets you move it around at any angel.
(curving rounded areas)

I wish I wouldn't have sold my tools man! lesson from me, NEVER sell off your tools!!

ValerieP said:
I bought the Ryobi that Bob recommended in one of his videos. They are cordless, but I could use another battery. I was terribly frightened of them- especially the skill saw because my dad had a bad accident once. But, I overcame the fear and have used the electric drill, skill saw, and jigsaw.

I wish I'd seen that video.  But, after a LOT of research I purchased a Dewalt 20V driver that came with two batteries, a charger and carrying case.  Tomorrow I'm going back for the jigsaw that's compatible.  Then the fun begins!  Wish me luck!

JustACarSoFar said:
I don't know about the solar inverter stuff yet but.  I DO know how to run several power tools!

Ryobi is OK, but I prefer Dewalt' 12 v. as someone mentioned. A good battery charged drill like that should come with several
attachments needed. Be sure it does. Like, the reversible flat and phillips screw heads, extension head for tight places
you can't get into otherwise.  

then there's the getting used to changing the heads out. If you haven't done it before have someone
show you how! Generally they come with the charger and two batteries.  

Skill saws are great for slicing through wood that's over 3/4 in. thick. at straight angels But, jig saw lets you move it around at any angel.
(curving rounded areas)

I wish I wouldn't have sold my tools man!  lesson from me, NEVER sell off your tools!!

Got my Dewalt driver today!  I'm so glad to hear you say that the jigsaw will suffice and that I don't need the circular saw.  I'm picking that up tomorrow.  Sure wish I had a helper, but I'm just going to go ahead a tackle this myself.  Might look funny, but hopefully it will be ok.

Rockie - I lacked the circular saw as well and did just fine. I didn't have one and really don't like using one so I just did work arounds... :)

Remember that the lumber yards will cut wood to any size you need. I always took in my list of exactly what I needed cut out of what. I did layouts in advance and placed things for maximum coverage..sewing skills in doing fabric layouts helped there... :D 

They used to charge a buck after the first cut but the last few times I've used H/D for multiple cuts they've not charged me at all...guess it depends on who you get and how busy they are...maybe whether they're in a good mood too... :rolleyes:

Take a look at my build thread and you'll see that I mostly managed to hide any bad squiggly cuts by planning ahead.... :D :D

Using the jigsaw takes a little bit of practice. Most of the trick is in using the right blade for what you're cutting. I picked up a package that had all different blades in it and they were labelled as to what they were for.

I also swear by the use of the Kreg Jr. kit for screwing things together. It's my favorite tool!

sreesekelley said:
As Norm Abram would say,  " There is no tool more important than eye protection".  For anyone just starting out with power tools get some safety glasses.  They are cheap and eyes are important.

I had to Google Norm Abram but recognized him right away when I saw his picture.  And yes, I also watched some videos on YouTube and one in particular stressed eye protection.  So tomorrow, when I pick up my new jigsaw, I'm going to purchase that too.  Thanks for the tip, Sreesekelley.

Almost There said:
Rockie - I lacked the circular saw as well and did just fine. I didn't have one and really don't like using one so I just did work arounds... :)

Remember that the lumber yards will cut wood to any size you need. I always took in my list of exactly what I needed cut out of what. I did layouts in advance and placed things for maximum coverage..sewing skills in doing fabric layouts helped there... :D 

They used to charge a buck after the first cut but the last few times I've used H/D for multiple cuts they've not charged me at all...guess it depends on who you get and how busy they are...maybe whether they're in a good mood too... :rolleyes:

Take a look at my build thread and you'll see that I mostly managed to hide any bad squiggly cuts by planning ahead.... :D :D

Using the jigsaw takes a little bit of practice. Most of the trick is in using the right blade for what you're cutting. I picked up a package that had all different blades in it and they were labelled as to what they were for.

I also swear by the use of the Kreg Jr. kit for screwing things together. It's my favorite tool!

Wow, what a lot of work you did!  So, I can see you know what you're talking about.  I'm starting out with a very small vehicle so there won't be anything nearly so elaborate that I need to do.  My brother's advice seemed good and so I'm waiting until I try this out a bit to make sure it's all I think it's going to be.  Then, spring for the van.  So, I have a Honda Element and I'm going to work with what I have.  I'm investing in pretty good tools so that I can use them again when (not if) I know I want to live the full-time lifestyle.  I'll use them to build something more comfortable and practical in a van.  I'd not heard of the Kreg but Googled it and will read up on it.  I appreciate the tips and encouragement.  Thanks!

sreesekelley said:
As Norm Abram would say,  " There is no tool more important than eye protection".  For anyone just starting out with power tools get some safety glasses.  They are cheap and eyes are important.

And hearing protection too.

A bit o nonsense - I haven't done much research on tools as yet. Someone else mentioned Bob's recommendation of RYOBI tools. I like the idea of RYOBI as they also offer other products you can use their battery packs with such as LED Lanterns and pretty sizeable personal fans. You can see a fellow van dweller using I think 2 fans in a YT Interview/Tour with Bob, she has a used Roadtrek...