Women Only: Power Tools [split from W-RTR]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From years on renovating homes, I can tell you the Milwaukee is the best in tools. You will not be buying new tools again.

I went through dewalt and Mikita very quickly.

Also...the tools that Home Depot and Lowes are cheap versions of the real thing.
Manufacturers build cheap versions to keep the cost down to where Home Depot and Lowes are willing to hit the price point. Those tools are NOT the best that manufacturer has.

Look to buy from a builder supply or woodworker supply.

VanKitten said:
From years on renovating homes, I can tell you the Milwaukee is the best in tools.   You will not be buying new tools again.  

I went through dewalt and Mikita very quickly.    

Also...the tools that Home Depot and Lowes are cheap versions of the real thing.
Manufacturers build cheap versions to keep the cost down to where Home Depot and Lowes are willing to hit the price point.   Those tools are NOT the best that manufacturer has.

Look to buy from a builder supply or woodworker supply.

Well, VanKitten, I already bought the DeWalt from Lowes so they're going to have to do.  So far, I'm pretty happy with their performance.  Sure wish I knew better what I'm doing as things might move more quickly.  As is, I have to watch lots of YouTube videos, then think of it a bit, and watch more videos, then once I'm sure I know what to do, I give it a try and adjust accordingly.  All in all, it's coming together.  But slowly.

ClassyGlobal said:
A bit o nonsense - I haven't done much research on tools as yet.  Someone else mentioned Bob's recommendation of RYOBI tools.  I like the idea of RYOBI as they also offer other products you can use their battery packs with such as LED Lanterns and pretty sizeable personal fans.  You can see a fellow van dweller using I think 2  fans in a YT Interview/Tour with Bob, she has a used Roadtrek...

I'm going to go look for that video right now.  Thanks ClassyGlobal!

I've been wanting a cordless drill for ages. I saw one (Black & Decker) at Ace Hardware last week on sale for $17! I know it's just a cheapie version, but I'm thrilled to finally have my own drill / driver. Now I don't have to hire someone to put up shelves or hooks or small things in my little trailer. I've been using it a lot.

I've been renovating houses for years. Power tools come in many levels of quality.
From long experience, is you want to buy a power tool (Cordless or not) pay the extra for the quality and buy Milwaukee. You will go through many Ryobi or B&D while you would have still the same Milwaukee. Buy once

I purchased the Bosch 12v Drill which also included a spare battery and charger and bag.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-12-Volt-3-8-in-Cordless-Brushless-Drill/50149528

I bought it over some of the other "better" drills because of its size.  My husband's drills
are toooo heavy for me to use for very long at a time. This little drill fits me just great.
Holds a charge very well, and lasts as long as I need it to, or I grab the spare battery.

Pete even uses it in small, tight situations. 

And, it tucks into my van into a tiny spare little area that just begs to be filled!

ValerieP said:
I bought the Ryobi that Bob recommended in one of his videos. They are cordless, but I could use another battery. I was terribly frightened of them- especially the skill saw because my dad had a bad accident once. But, I overcame the fear and have used the electric drill, skill saw, and jigsaw.

Thank you for that information. Are you able to charge the Ryobi tools Bob suggested on solar easily then? I imagine I will just need to watch that the battery does not get too drained. 

I am new to solar. I have a 280 watt solar panel. Can I recharge with my 1500 watt pure sine, Blue Sky 3000i, and 280 watt panel ok? 
Thanks,
Frances

Francesfree said:
Thank you for that information. Are you able to charge the Ryobi tools Bob suggested on solar easily then? I imagine I will just need to watch that the battery does not get too drained. 

I am new to solar. I have a 280 watt solar panel. Can I recharge with my 1500 watt pure sine, Blue Sky 3000i, and 280 watt panel ok? 
Thanks,
Frances

I would imagine you could- I don’t think it takes much to charge.