Wiring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopicma

Reaction score
Just watched the new YouTube post on wire.  Great subject guys.

I notice all the wire on the table is twisted strand. I have some wiring from my brick/stick house that is single (solid) copper wired. Can I use the solid core house wiring for a solar setup?

I wouldn't use solid strand wire for any mobile application. it can't handle the vibration. that's is a reason you can't use it for marine applications. it's to bad the RV industry lets builders get away with using it. highdesertranger

agreed, stay away from solid core wire in mobile applications

if you do have to use it. make extra certain to use plenty of strain relief and especially near any connections.

Not good for the 12V side (or 24, 48)
As the voltage lowers, it behooves you to use multiple thin strands to carry amperage, not one large one.
Think welding cable/jumper cable
Hair-strand thin...and a load of them.

Some of the old RV's even used aluminum wiring.
I would not even use single strand as a ground line for a steel rod hammered into the ground.
Rather have a jumper cable.

JD GUMBEE said:
Not good for the 12V side (or 24, 48)
As the voltage lowers, it behooves you to use multiple thin strands to carry amperage, not one large one.

it has nothing to do with the voltage. even 120 volt stuff on boats is done with stranded wire. the reason is strictly flexibility. stranded wire is much more flexible and will flex and come back like a spring. solid core wire wild bend and yield due to the vibration and motion. then just like bending a coat hanger wire back and forth over time the wire becomes hard, then brittle, then breaks

the only time voltage vs stranded wire comes into play is in alternating current where you are dealing with the skin effect. that is also only at much higher voltages and frequencys

Be careful buying larger diam speaker wire. I've seen some that was alum wire coated in copper that looked like solid sopper until you cut it & the claim was the skin effect.

you not only have to watch out for speaker wire some of which is CCA(copper clad Aluminum) but a lot of you heavy gauge wire is also CCA like jumper cables, battery cables, welding cable, and even your regular wire sizes.

you should never use speaker wire for carrying loads. use speaker wire for speakers.

highdesertranger

Actually, single core wires work well & eliminate the hassles of traditional wires
In fact I've replaced all my wires with these   But, do get a good one with a coating that does not wears off with time

Latest posts