Help me think this out.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcmjr55

Reaction score
New here, hello all. I bought a 2013 Nissan NV2500 two weeks ago to convert to a weekend camper. Watched hours and hours of YouTube vids and just found this forum. I want to be able to use the van for hauling, so I plan to add modular bed frame and base cabinets, probably permanently installed overhead cabinets.

Anyway, I will be using this “camper” almost exclusively as a solo camper for 3-4 day fishing trips. I want to wire for 12 volt power, but not sure I really need to go the whole 9 yards with solar power. Here are my thoughts, and please point out anything I have overlooked or gotten wrong.

I have a new 100 AH 24 volt lithium ion battery. Step that down to 12 volts and I hope to have 2400 watt hours available. My needs are as follows. House LEDs; water pump for 7 gal. tank; ceiling vent fan; USB for charging iPad and phone; 12 v fridge/freezer. I also need to power a CPAP, but I bought a small standalone 1021 watt hour / 1000 watt solar generator (with a 120w portable panel) for that purpose. I’m thinking the battery power should last me 3 days if used judiciously, and the solar generated AC power should last me the same. I could always set out the solar panel to recharge the solar generator battery. I also have a small 1000 watt propane generator I could run to charge the 24 volt battery and/or the solar generator battery. What am I missing?

I would think you would do fine. If you use the search for this forum you will find some helpful information on using the CPAP while living in a van and fishing. We had a member doing just that a few years back. By having the generator you can experiment without worry with your freezer as depending on ambient temperatures your power needs will vary. If your luck is like mine it will be windy, cloudy then rain all three days you try to fish! Lol!!! Good fishing and welcome!

Not missing anything but a 1,000 watt generator will not rapidly charge your battery, it will take quite a few hours. So if you know it is going to be cloudy and you will run low on battery power get started on the charging early in the day so you have sufficient for the night. That way you will not violate any nighttime quiet hours. Plus you will need some way to shelter the generator from rain as rainy days are when you are most likely to need it.

I have a new 100 AH 24 volt lithium ion battery. Step that down to 12 volts and I hope to have 2400 watt hours available. My needs are as follows. House LEDs; water pump for 7 gal. tank; ceiling vent fan; USB for charging iPad and phone; 12 v fridge/freezer. I also need to power a CPAP, but I bought a small standalone 1021 watt hour / 1000 watt solar generator (with a 120w portable panel) for that purpose. I’m thinking the battery power should last me 3 days if used judiciously, and the solar generated AC power should last me the same. I could always set out the solar panel to recharge the solar generator battery. I also have a small 1000 watt propane generator I could run to charge the 24 volt battery and/or the solar generator battery. What am I missing?
Where possible, I prefer the simplicity, redundancy and portability of a decentralized battery powered system. My lightning consists of three 7W 3000 mAh battery light bars ($40), mounted on the walls but detachable as needed, I typically charge them twice a month. My water pump is a USB water bottle faucet ($20), it pumps ~0.5 gal/min, I recharge it once a month. My devices (iPad, watch, headset) are charged by a 30000 mAh battery pack ($30), super convenient because the wires are built in. I do have a large power station, but the only things that are continuously plugged in are the fridge, microwave, and diesel heater. There is also ad hoc use for high watt activities like cooking with induction or charging the MacBook Pro. Still, with this approach, there is no single point of failure that would be catastrophic. If my power station were to fail, unless heating was essential, it wouldn't be terribly disruptive.

I am too dependant on power to rely on solar. I need a consistently reliable and predictable way of recharging my batteries. This means having batteries sufficient to last until I can recharge using my vehicle or plugging into shore power. A built in generator would also be in this category, albeit more of a hassle.

... simplicity, redundancy and portability of a decentralized...no single point of failure...would be catastrophic. If my power station [failed]...it wouldn't be terribly disruptive...
We built our ExpeditionVehicle with individual Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) components, usually acquired from some local-owned family-operated hardware store for simplicity, redundancy, and easy/cheap replacement.
But if the replacement is 'supply-chain disrupted' or if we need to wait on sticking it back in its duly-appointed, "it wouldn't be terribly disruptive".
I think reliance on a RV Technician [stands, salutes] fiddling around on an open-ended time-plus-materials contract while RVers are happy-camping in the repair-shop parking-lot is more fun than it sounds.
At the opposite end of the spectrum from us, I am vastly amused by enormously complicated components cobbled into enormously complicated systems, such as:
* the 'Entertainment Center' with built-in electric fireplace plus dual wine-chillers.
See, right there, that borders on 'complicated'.
All Hail factory RecreateVehicles designed by non-camping accountants... ...but great decals.

Last edited: