Why in the actual are urine separators so damn expensive?!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That the urine we excrete is sterile urine is another one of the common myths that get passed around and around on social media. So I am going to bust this myth.

It is not sterile, it picks up bacteria as it passes through us. It is very much normal to have some live bacteria in the urine you excrete. Likely not enough to harm us, and not always a dangerous to our health types unless it is the kind that gets overgrowth and creates UTIs, kidney, bladder or other systemic infections. If you plan on drinking it? You would want to boil it first to kill all the bacteria and any other organisms so that it truly is sterile.

Last edited:
I have never seen mentioned the method that I have used in unimproved camping areas. I carry a standard post hole digger and a 72" San Angelo bar ($37 at Tractor Supply, usually higher elsewhere).

Somewhere near my van, I dig a hole the size of a post hole (~8" wide). I loosen the soil with the San Angelo bar, then dig it out with the post hole digger, back and forth until I have a hole about 2 feet deep. Save the pile of soil.

I have a 5-gallon bucket with a plastic toilet seat (a Luggable Loo) on the top. I urinate in it a few times, and empty it into the hole after I defecate.

I usually cover the hole with a square concrete paving stone that I carry with me. They are usually 12x12x2", and are either gray or red, and weight about 17 lbs, and cost about $2.

I NEVER fill the hole with waste more than foot below the opening, and top it with the soil that I dug out originally, packing it down.

For anyone who thinks this is unacceptable in areas like BLM land and NFs, ask yourself if you've ever heard of pit toilets or septic tanks.

Last edited:
I have never seen mentioned the method that I have used in unimproved camping areas. I carry a standard post hole digger and a 72" San Angelo bar ($37 at Tractor Supply, usually higher elsewhere).

Somewhere near my van, I dig a hole the size of a post hole (~8" wide). I loosen the soil with the San Angelo bar, then dig it out with the post hole digger, back and forth until I have a hole about 2 feet deep.

I have a 5-gallon bucket with a plastic toilet seat (a Luggable Loo) on the top. I urinate in it a few times, and empty it into the hole after I defecate.

I usually cover the hole with a square concrete paving stone that I carry with me. They are
Cool

I paid, I think, $30 for a urine diverter from Etsy. A gentleman there sells 3d printed ones. He also has a kit that has exhaust hoses and fans to suck out any smells. Wife loves our luggable loo bucket with urine diverter. No issues emptying the bottle on a grassy area. Good for the plants. Makes hay fields a vibrant green. Keep the poop and urine separate and there are no smells. If it does smell, time to change out the poop bag and cedar shavings and dispose of it.

Seriously though? Do these things actually wipe your ass for you? I have literally be on the internet for the past hour maybe two trying to look up a clever DIY design for urine separators and have so far dry with the exception of one design that involves cutting a bucket in half but other than that it doesn't make sense to me. Anybody have any clever ideas
The reason they are so expensive is because they are so easy to make so folks capitalize on the idea that folks will likely hunt & pay instead of DIY a funnel, a bowl with a hole, well positioned urinal spout, a melt cut water/milk jug so many easy ways to achieve the same result... But those who insist on buying must pay for the simple high priced device

The reason they are so expensive is because they are so easy to make so folks capitalize on the idea that folks will likely hunt & pay instead of DIY a funnel, a bowl with a hole, well positioned urinal spout, a melt cut water/milk jug so many easy ways to achieve the same result... But those who insist on buying must pay for the simple high priced device
I like these ideas. I think I'm going to go with a canning funnel into a jug though but we'll see. I think what it all comes down to is there's not a high enough demand for them to make these things in bulk so each individual units expensive but what do I know

Dudes don't need comfort, just a place to relieve themselves.
Dudes also tend to be slobs, especially 16 year olds. He can't even keep his piss in the real toilet in his bathroom now 🤣😂 I value the valley in my van, so will he whenever he goes to sell it

Dudes also tend to be slobs, especially 16 year olds. He can't even keep his piss in the real toilet in his bathroom now 🤣😂 I value the valley in my van, so will he whenever he goes to sell it

Years ago I dated a woman who had a 13 year old son with the same problem. I 'repaired' his behavior.

On another note, please reduce the size and pixel count of your signature image, we have lots of users with limited data plans.

Years ago I dated a woman who had a 13 year old son with the same problem. I 'repaired' his behavior.

On another note, please reduce the size and pixel count of your signature image, we have lots of users with limited data plans.
I don't even know how to do that 😬

no one has to 'repair their own pee' cause GALS AND GUYS are SO diff and I love this is a 'gal issue' we are chatting but just not a separate the liquid from solid issue.

GALS rule as a gal gotta do for a gal but this didn't start as a gal rule to only separate U from other but ya know in the end, the poster NEEDS THE BEST FOR WHAT SHE NEEDS!!!

What amazes me is the amount of concern over the treatment of human waste when we have domestic dogs and cats allowed to do as they please where they please. One of the main improvements the car brought to mankind is streets clear of horse dung. I guess at least we hold ourselves to a higher standard than animals! Lol!!! Maybe we just feel the need to spend more money! Wonder what color pee diverter sells the most? Lol!!!

What amazes me is the amount of concern over the treatment of human waste when we have domestic dogs and cats allowed to do as they please where they please. One of the main improvements the car brought to mankind is streets clear of horse dung. I guess at least we hold ourselves to a higher standard than animals! Lol!!! Maybe we just feel the need to spend more money! Wonder what color pee diverter sells the most? Lol!!!
I had to laugh at that one too. Not to mention all the squirrels and raccoons and other little random critters that pee all day on the ground all the time or me for instance who pees in the ground in a hole when I'm on my property in the desert.... You know as well as I do at the end of the day there are just some people out there that will find any little thing to complain about and if you notice it was the same person.

When I said I 'repaired' this young man's anti-social behavior, I did exactly that. It had nothing to do with physiology and everything to do with his actions. Not gonna go into details.

yea like everything thru the eons has crapped and pee'd all thru it yet 'make masses' with no disposal in human concrete cities and on top of millions of others, yea we got massive issues...ick, lol.

only humans truly do the worse on this planet as we know. :) but when one speices dominates, all hell will break loose as we sure as a species on this planet are 'hopefully smart enough' to see, or not :) ! hmm

Latest posts