Why in the actual are urine separators so damn expensive?!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

that420vanchick

Only 9 more states to go!
Reaction score
Seriously though? Do these things actually wipe your ass for you? I have literally be on the internet for the past hour maybe two trying to look up a clever DIY design for urine separators and have so far dry with the exception of one design that involves cutting a bucket in half but other than that it doesn't make sense to me. Anybody have any clever ideas

I have a separating toilet and it works well with 1 gallon plastic jugs. Basically your main concern is getting the funnel end to automatically go into the jug when you close it and preventing splatter while using it. I would be tempted to use heat gun to try and form plastic funnel/jug to work but “results may vary” Lol!!!

I have compost toilet systems on my land in AZ... I've been doing the ol, pee bottle under the bed and bag in the bucket thing in the van did a while.. It really doesn't bother me but I'm in the middle of drawing out floor plans for an interior build with the fact that my 13 year old will be getting this in 3 years... He's so Babylon dependant he's gonna need a toilet and drain otherwise I wouldn't care. I can't believe people are charging $200 for glorified funnels attached to hoses!! I need to get in on this game

Go to an auto parts store and purchase a “rectangular funnel”. Or do a web search to see what they look like. Get the largest size you can find. The shape makes it easy to attach inside a plywood box for a DIY composting toilet.

Women do not always shop at auto parts and hardware stores so might not have noticed that not all funnels are round in shape.

I purchased one from Amazon, plastic like hospitals use with the intent of putting hole to accommodate a tube into a jug. Project is yet to be done! I have also purchased a funnel like Maki suggested from the auto parts store.

I saw a few but it seemed messier than the ol pee bottle imo. Trying to get it cozy to pass on to my son in 3 years.... He's not a camper like his momma, he's addicted to Babylon
Somewhat OT question, but I'm curious - why are you planning on giving a camping van to someone who doesn't really seem to like camping?

Seriously though? Do these things actually wipe your ass for you? I have literally be on the internet for the past hour maybe two trying to look up a clever DIY design for urine separators and have so far dry with the exception of one design that involves cutting a bucket in half but other than that it doesn't make sense to me. Anybody have any clever ideas
$2.95 funnel in the auto department at Wal-Mart. Works perfect.

Attachments

• 16661995269375191071989442816129.jpg
    16661995269375191071989442816129.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Be careful about 3d printed diverters. It not carefully made and post treated the sides of the object can leak.

Seriously...urine separators...any clever ideas
a)
I think part of the expense involves the series of centrifuges plus the inevitable Bunsen burner and Jacob's Ladder, the governmental over-night, and the security involved.
And the minions, each named 'Egore'.
Of course, the laboratory setting must be adequately maintained, and none of the process could be considered 'cheap'.
Indeed, can you imagine the lifetime of study leading to certification in safe handling of the separated components in urine.
But I think the biggest issue in urine separation:
* who would want to?
* convincing a potential purchaser of the value of the separated components?
... but mostly...
* who would want to?
I think this parallels any quasi-legitimate endeavor involving the human species, the ever-present ('over-riding') 'follow the money, who benefits'.
b)
Bushes.

Last edited:
Lots of ideas on inter webs:
'Urine separating toilet seat'​
'DYI urine separating composting toilet'​
'female urine device'​
.....​