Happy Fledgling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
Hello all,
So I'm not a "Nomad" yet.  My "ship" is in "drydock" still.  I'm hoping to get out while Summer is still in it's prime, but we'll see. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]However, every leg is part of the experience, so I figured I share my experience here where it most belongs.  Reaching the most recent milestone is what prompted me to do so.[/font] 

I'm hoping to leave while Summer is still in it's prime.  Also, my build is about to transition into the heat and humidity the Southern Delta is notorious for.  So, the sooner the better.  Being a "Captain" has many responsibilities.  Such as the leaky windshield I've discovered after I thought she was water tight.  I'm also noticing all the little spots of bare metal where the doors have worn on the paint.  I love the  Summer, it's my favorite time of the year, for there's always an anticipation of promise, fun, and people are becoming less afraid of being around one another.  And quite frankly, I wouldn't enjoy having nothing to show for all that.

I've just started building my battery compartment.  I didn't go in the tradition build order I observed per YouTube videos, but I made sure I didn't set myself up for failure.  Meaning, I didn't take the other aspects of the build to an extent that would inhibit the completion of other projects.  I had no choice but to keep working in whatever way I could.  My batteries took a month (SOK) to get here and every day I stay over my projected  departure date eats into my travel budget (I'm not doing this without a hardy savings account).    So that meant I did all my sound deadening and most pf my insulation first, and before that I took care of the rust, any leaks I had knowledge of, and installed my fan.

As of yesterday, I'm ready to install my solar, and for some reason it feels like things are starting to get "serious" or like "Wow, I'm really doing this!"  A little trickle of the freedom I'm going to feel hit me the other day, and the excitement of traveling at my own pace, without worrying about getting back to a job (I quit mine at the end of March to build).

The other joy has to do with this being a considerable life change for me.  One that people in my circle generally show a lack of support for if not approval, or interest for that matter-not that I'm doing it for them.  So, I kind of feel like I'm on my own. Though I'm a pretty independent person, this actually feels like more real time experience in solving problems who's solutions I will be truly dependent on.  Such as my solar.  My ribs are curved which makes it difficult for paneling, let alone a rigid piece of plywood for my components.  
So I mounted them underneath the van where it's nice and flat-gotcha!, just seeing if you're still paying attention.  I guess what I'm trying to say, particularly in the context of "building" is, we literally have to make solutions happen, apply them.  Mainly, I'm enjoying the lessons in self-reliance (not that mine are of any intensity).  A van is almost a self-sustainable home and we're "the guy" or "the gal" when things go wrong.  

Furthermore, the design of my battery compartment is dictating how the rest of the van's interior will be built. I have one side that no longer leaks through the drip rail, but being a Submariner, who dealt heavily electronics, I wouldn't trust my components under there to save my life.  Also I'm being a proponent of weight distribution, as I'm also a pilot. So my grand fantasies are being rearranged with the rest of my interior. It's funny how I had all these fervent, preconceived notions on how it was going to look. I don't know how other people feel, but I think I confused "Customizing a van" with "Living in a van (I'd love to do the former-vans rule!) I actually enjoy this more, it's teaching me to be creative and I usually thrive in the "make more out of less" scenarios.

So today will be comprised of making my cuts for the battery compartment, taking a break to watch Chase Elliot win the road course race at Sonoma, a sandwich, a Pepsi, good music, and listening to rain fall on the shop.  It's actually kind of cool.  Life's pretty good already.  I'm building in my dad's shop with a hydraulic left so it actually feels like my van's in dry dock.  Buys into the whole Star trek fantasy.

Safe Travels,
Rabbit

Yep, it is very easy to bore friends and family to death talking about projects they have no real passion for or involvement in. It is not actually a lack of support, it is just a yawner to many people who have other interest in their own lives.

I am very used to being a boring person to most unless I am engaging with others who are doing similar things.

kklowell said:
She's a 1995 Chevy G10, and I love her to pieces.  During that time Chevy didn't stray much from how their vans rode in the 70's.  Very clean, from a truck driver who did repairs on it. Was already sitting out in the middle of wilderness by a lake, ripe for the plucking.  Lucked out and I have an aftermarket CD player that not only has a USB but is recent enough to access my my music on my iPad, though my goal is the living area to be completely "unplugged".  What about you, if you care to share?  Didn't look at your signature to see if you listed it.

maki2 said:
Yep, it is very easy to bore friends and family to death talking about projects they have no real passion for or involvement in. It is not actually a lack of support, it is just a yawner to many people who have other interest in their own lives.

I am very used to being a boring person to most unless I am engaging with others who are doing similar things.
Ah, how I wish it were so.  Not in my case.  I get where you're coming from though and agree.