Who's behind your user name

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pappys Dash said:
The second parts come from a friend who is photographer specializing in cemetery statues(morbid but he is successful at it). He sent me a picture of a headstone and it is a quote from it.
"It isn't the date on either end that counts.But how they used their dash.​
For that dash between the dates represents all the time they spent alive on this earth.​
And now only those who loved them know what that little lines is worth."​

Love that quote!

John Muir is one of my all-time hero. He referred to himself as a "tramp" (a person who travels from place to place on foot) and since I have a van... "Van Tramp" it is.

My name is actually Daniel, but most of my life people have known me as Danny B , (my last name is 8 letters long and a bit much for people to pronounce). 1954 is my birth year.

First initial, middle initial, last name
Needed a single name my young son could remember easily.
Just stuck with it.
Has made it easy for extended family and school mates to find me.

Wandering Larry

My mother did it!!

It was 1971, we were downtown in my small (20,000ish) city hometown. We ran into an older woman who was a bit prudish so to speak. I was dressed in the 'uniform' of the day which my Mom, a depression kid & war veteran thought was great. She encouraged me to have fun! So the woman asks:

"Is this the youngest of your brood?"

Mom never missed a beat, put her hand onto my head & proudly stated:

"Yes, this is my little Hippie Chick!"

She pushed me into a photo booth at the end of the block & said I might need the picture someday. Hippie chick in one form or another has been me since then.

Attachments

• IMG_20160511_205142.jpg
    IMG_20160511_205142.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 20
Bob is my first name, B is the first letter in my last name and ski are the last 3 letters. BobBski

Teskimo. At my factory job my workmates called me TES, as I signed the reports with my initials. Later my stepdaughter called me Teskimo because I identify as part native American, and she said it sounded Indian.
I liked it so well, I kept it.

This thread is really fun!

I learned at an early age to accept the nicknames people give you, if you say you don't like it they just come up with one that you REALLY don't like !!!!!!

Most people can't handle the truth about the world we live in or the people who run it. A cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort experienced by someone when confronted by information that conflicts with their existing beliefs.

This started when I was a little kid. My mom was a kindergarten teacher with a Masters in speech therapy. My dad was a PhD physicist who taught electrical engineering and owned a small aerospace consulting firm on the side. (This was a long time ago, when such graduate degrees really meant something.) They both loved to teach, and they knew how to make learning fun. So, I learned to read, write, think and do, long before I ever set foot in any school.

When I did set foot in schools, the learning experience changed. I experienced plenty of cognitive dissonances of my own until I accepted that teachers and other authorities were frequently clueless and perhaps even more often dishonest. It also became clear to me that Acton's dictum that "power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" was more the expression of a physical law than a philosophical observation. 

My interests and avocations bring me into contact with a broad range of people, many of whom keep their heads in the clouds, the sand or somewhere else. They are not truth seekers. (Only a very few of us are, and that's ok.) I don't mean to, but I seem to trigger cognitive dissonances wherever I go. So, it's my handle online!

BTW, years back when I joined Zero Hedge, I was startled to find out there was already a user named Cognitive Dissonance. Till then, I had never seen this handle used by anyone else, anywhere. He and I think very much alike, but that's not me...

BobBski said:
Bob is my first name,  B is the first letter in my last name and ski are the last 3 letters.  BobBski

Besides, it's fun to say fast. :)

My name is a combination of Bob + Robert, dropping the letters "Ro"... 
Also, through the 47 years of my life, many upbeat people just liked to call me bobbert. I thought it was cool.

Previously, I was under the username of "white trash". After some pondering, it was time for a change.
Because I insisted upon vandwelling, I faced the abandonment of close friends + close family members, all of which resorted to name calling (i.e. "white trash"). 

Well, the joke's on them. 
I actually earn more money than most of them "former" acquaintances" + I will retire early, thanks to my mobile lifestyle! 
Oh, + I have my freedom.

Well......my name is Michele.  My parents set me up for a lifetime of having my name constantly spelled wrong because it's usually spelled with two L's not one like mine.

And if that wasn't enough......most spell the nickname as Shelly or Shelley but again, my parents decided to make mine unique by spelling it Cheli.  I'm constantly being called Cheli with the Ch sounding hard as in Chicken.

Funny story.  I work at a towing company on Fridays only (I have a different job Mon thru Thurs) and I've been there for many years.  One Friday, several years ago, my father called looking for me and asked for Michele.  The driver that answered the phone said there was nobody here by that name and my father told him I worked there and the kid said no, nobody here by that name.  After he hung up the owner told him that was me.  Well the next Friday I came in and he said "hey Cheli, I never knew your name was Michele.  Your father called looking for you and I told him you didn't work here".  LOL  I guess not everyone knows Cheli is the nickname for Michele.

rvpopeye said:
This thread is really fun!

I learned at an early age to accept the nicknames people give you, if you say you don't like it they just come up with one that you REALLY don't like !!!!!!

Wayne the pain. So I said, I'll switch to my first name
Arthuritis OK, just Art
After that I started hitting :D

Hey , that doesn't sound so bad......
Imagine this , I would get introduced from the stage as the man that makes us not suck or whatever popped into their heads I didn't have a curtain like the Wizard of OZ I was usually out in the middle of the audience! (Of course I could always shut off microphones any time too or just as easily make them suck at the worst possible time !
But I might not have a job after that sooooo.)
The popeye is a long story that I think I already covered , but IF I didn't like it they would have had the squints point the follow spots @3000watts each at me and called me anything they wanted (insert the worst your imagination can come up with then multiply by ,say , like a million !!!
They could/did even write songs about me ,don't ask.) I didn't need any of that kind of fame ........................

well I am new to the group and my name is Dean

Attachments

• PICT0616.JPG
    PICT0616.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Guy I have often wondered about gsfish. thanks, I wasn't even close always thought it had something to do with fish. highdesertranger

My real name is Judy Widger.  Nickname of Widge a lot of times.  But my screen name is Ackidge. ACK being the call letters for Nantucket where I lived for 20 years. & IDGE is part of my last name.  I have been using the same screen name for almost everything for as long as I can remember.

VanCamper
This is very simple, I camp in my van. Sometimes in a Walmart parking lot, sometimes in a park, sometimes in a interstate rest area, sometimes at a race track on a race weekend.

Gary68 said:
1000 internet points to anyone that can guess what mine means

I'll go for it!! :D     Steelers fan or former player.... Gary =you or favorite player......68= age, B-day, or player # 

I think I covered all the variables........Did I win anything?  My two toned pink crocheted pig pot holder won 1st place blue ribbon at the Tuner County Fair , Parker SD.......so whada I Get?   gimmee gimmee gimmee :D 

JEWELLANN

Have always had a station wagon in between the Porsche's and trucks the need to be able to lay down in your vehicle has always been important to me
I guess it started when me and whomever would go watch the submarine races at the beach.