Which doors?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesprite

Reaction score
Which doors do people use to get in and out of the van? I think some people block either the side or rear (storage is accessible, but a person can't pass through).  I've been trying to do my design to allow all doors to be accessible (seats in bed mode will block doors, but we don't need to get out when we are asleep). Do I really need to leave both side and rear clear if I can also go in and out via the cab doors? (I have to be able to do that - I'm not going out in rain, or out in PJs, just to go between cab and living area).

I'll be leaving my side sliding door open/accessible, and my rear door somewhat. My rear doors are an upper hatch and two lower side opening doors, with them open I'll be able to access rear storage, and I guess if needed I could use it as an escape route.

You say you don’t need access to the doors while you’re sleeping. The fact is that is That is one time you want to make sure that you have access to the doors. Coming out of a deep sleep you’re not as functional as you are when you’re awake. I have easy access to side barn doors and cab doors.

I'd be thinking less along the lines of routine access and more along the lines of exits in an emergency. Two is all right; three or more is better.

As nature lover pointed out above, when you first wake up (especially unexpectedly), it can take some time to get your bearings. When that you-don't-want-to-stay-in-here-get-out-now detector goes off and wakes you from a sound sleep, you want to have options.

Are you able to replace at least one side window with s school-bus-style emergency exit window?

My refrigerator is where the passenger seat used to be, so it's essentially blocked. My bed runs lengthwise with cabinets opposite. The side sliding door is clear and while I could get in and out of the back door, it's kind of a squeeze. So it's either the driver door or the side door for me. That setup has worked fine for the 7+ years I've been fulltiming.

I guess I wasn't fully thinking the bed situation out. When I say blocked in terms of the build overall, I mean having some piece permanently in front of the door making it impossible to pass one's human body through it.

But in terms of the beds, the blocking is just up to the height of the bed (will be about 16"), so a person who is already in the bed, can go out the door via that side of the bed, but will have a bit of a hop to get down to the ground (this is for the primary bed). A person who is not in the bed would be blocked to a greater degree, because of not wanting to climb over sleeping people to get through that door. For the main bed, it will be the rear doors. The secondary bed, which would be used if there is an extra person in the van, will, when open, have it's end in front of the side door, and it's side in front of the opening to the cab - I was thinking of that t opening as a door, but it is an interior passage, not a vehicle door. That secondary person would have to get up on the side of that passage and then out the cab doors.

most would block rear doors cause they open out and take space to open fully. Space is not always available to open rear doors all the time.

side door is a slider for most vans.....easy to open in tight spaces and big access out of van. Is the 'living area' with awning or tent area and most used left open space kinda.

cab doors. one for driving obvy, the other if wanted left open cool, but can also be used for other things to be put in that area if you don't have passengers in and out kinda thing. Alot of times people have the passenger seats for their pets LOL

even with a bed against the rear doors most can still open them from the inside if needed to roll out of bed and exit fast.

but the floorplan you want and how you wanna live in it is key so take your time and plan what you want.