Where does the poo go?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeriLynn

Reaction score
I am curious to find out where others dump their waste from poop buckets, bags or whatever system has been used. I have only spent three nights in my van so far and I used public restrooms in town except for night pee which went into a plastic jug which I dumped in morning in a store toilet. I wasn't able to wash out the jug in public restroom which makes that method unsanitary so not practical except as a short term solution.  In the city or out in nature, dumping toilet waste is my main concern about staying in a van for more than a few days. All replies appreciated.

City - public trash can.
Boondocking - dig a hole.

I can't help you out with the city issue as I have an RV with a toilet and use it to pee in (no poop or TP) and if necessary can use public toilets.

In the country, except for some desert locations, I pee outside and poop in a hole (if no toilets close by)...just don't bury bags. I carry a short-handled shovel to help with digging holes. I'm a backpacker so used to it. You can dump a pee jug anywhere in the backcountry but often it's just easier to drop your drawers and pee on the ground.

Oh, and pee is fairly sterile so if you let it air dry and sit in the sun it will be fine.

The problem is everyone in this country thinks flushing waste down a toilet is the only way, solves all the problems and doesn't pollute therefore all sorts of things get put into toilets and become someone else's problem that shouldn't be put there. Out houses were the standard in times past and before that a cat hole made sure you kept your hair and helped keep game in the area. It amazes me that we promote putting diapers and dog poop in plastic bags in the trash, again becoming someone else's problem. Dig a hole where allowed the proper depth and cover it up, dilute and spread, or add bleach water then put it in the trash. Public restrooms are just that, a can of spray disinfectant makes it sanitary before and after. If you have a problem a little food coloring may make it easier for you.

Get a 3 gallon bucket with a screw top lid line it with a plastic bag a bungie cord to hold the bag in place get buy some peat moss, put about a 2" layer at the bottom store it in another 3 Gallon bucket with a screw (gamma) lid. do not I repeat do not mix urine with poo if you do this method will not work for you and pee in a plastic bottle before you poo. Home Depot has gamma lids after you do it add some more peat moss and screw the lid back on I have easily done 2-3 weeks without dumping

I bag it and dump it in any convenient trash can or dumpster. It's no different than a baby diaper.

If you can separate the pee from poop... toss a handful of red worms in the poop and you have humanure composting which will reduce the amount you have to dispose of. Course, if they don't like the environment they will leave. Escape is a bit traumatic for those who don't like to harvest little squirming things that must be picked up with gloves and the area decontaminated.

Research derived advice to bushwalkers in Tasmania (Australia) is to defecate in hole about 200 mm deep. Toilet paper should be placed on top of the solids before urinating on and over the toilet paper and solids. The hole should not be too deep as high loads of desirable bacteria and organisms are close to the surface of the ground, in a location that regularly gets frost in the winter. The wet environment provided by the urine helps the decomposition process. A rock or tree branch will minimise the chance a small animal will dig there.

The porta pottie in the campervan is emptied in a dump point, usually, and in a seriously deep hole if in the bush if a dump point is not close. I normally use a pee bottle to reserve the capacity of the porta pottie.

Ticklebellly said:
The porta pottie in the campervan is emptied in a dump point, usually, and in a seriously deep hole if in the bush if a dump point is not close.   I normally use a pee bottle to reserve the capacity of the porta pottie.

Bolding is mine.

Do NOT, repeat DO NOT dump a porta pottie that has had chemicals used in it, in a hole anywhere!

The chemicals are meant only for disposal in a sewage treatment system. They are extremely harmful to the environment.

"Some of the most common chemicals used in the holding tank are bromine, formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde."

"The chemicals contained in standard portable toilets cannot completely disinfect human waste. In addition, these chemicals are highly toxic to humans and wildlife alike. For these reason, the contents of a porta potty cannot be released directly into groundwater, and must be processed by an appropriate wastewater system."

If you're going to be THAT far away from civilization for that long, that you aren't able to properly dispose of the contents of your porta pottie then, please, for the love of the environment, quit using the porta potty and go dig single use cat holes, pee in a jug, invest in an environmentally friendly toilet system, do something other than pollute!!

I had a bad experience this morning...watched a van dweller who had pulled in not 10 feet from my door at midnight (despite being on BLM land with dozens of open places to camp, and don't get me started on that!) walk out with a roll of TP 100 yards from camp and take care of business...then kicked some dirt over it and left it...no hole to bury it, no packing out TP...just left it all. No I wasn't standing there watching but it was right out my kitchen window. So gross and disgusting...at least bury the damned stuff. I should have said something but I didn't

so common now a days Dune. just pull off any interstate out in the boonies, it's disgusting. pee bottles, TP, human waste. highdesertranger

I know...and sad. Ugh...wish it wasn't. We're going back to the dark ages with human-waste-borne diseases becoming more prevalent again. I make a point to go to the gas station if I can...this guy wasn't even trying to be discrete!!! I just love watching some guy with his ass in the air wiping his ass...even for just a split second before turning away!!!

Almost There said:
Bolding is mine.

Do NOT, repeat DO NOT dump a porta pottie that has had chemicals used in it, in a hole anywhere!

On what grounds do you assume I would ever do that?

I live on a 2 Hectare, self constructed Eco Island not far from a major city and take my long standing commitment to responsible use of the environment with me, where ever I go.   No need to order me to behave in a particular way in regards dumping the contents of my Porta Pottie.   :mad:

DuneElliot said:
I had a bad experience this morning...watched a van dweller who had pulled in not 10 feet from my door at midnight (despite being on BLM land with dozens of open places to camp, and don't get me started on that!) walk out with a roll of TP 100 yards from camp and take care of business...then kicked some dirt over it and left it...no hole to bury it, no packing out TP...just left it all. No I wasn't standing there watching but it was right out my kitchen window. So gross and disgusting...at least bury the damned stuff. I should have said something but I didn't

The offer of the use of a shovel to the offender can sometimes result in a better outcome for all concerned.

Ticklebellly said:
On what grounds do you assume I would ever do that?

I live on a 2 Hectare, self constructed Eco Island not far from a major city and take my long standing commitment to responsible use of the environment with me, where ever I go.   No need to order me to behave in a particular way in regards dumping the contents of my Porta Pottie.   :mad:

I simply quoted what you posted!

I'm really glad that you take your responsible use of the environment seriously BUT you were suggesting in your post that it was okay to dump the contents of ANY porta potty in a deep hole out in the bush.

One of our mission goals here is to help teach/inform others who are not familiar with how to live in a vehicle. Your statement was seriously misinforming those who are new to this!

Ticklebellly said:
The offer of the use of a shovel to the offender can sometimes result in a better outcome for all concerned.

Like I said...I should have said something...my mistake. It would have been a good moment for some education.

I recall, years ago, when the metropolis of Jerome, AZ, was encountering new tourist problems...
Disposable diapers were becoming a problem at their sanitary landfill. Too many of em !
wheels

I don't think people change much. I have walked across a lot of truck stops parking lots that are worse than any where else I've ever been on BLM.

Almost There said:
The chemicals are meant only for disposal in a sewage treatment system. They are extremely harmful to the environment.

"Some of the most common chemicals used in the holding tank are bromine, formaldehyde and glutaraldehyde."

"The chemicals contained in standard portable toilets cannot completely disinfect human waste. In addition, these chemicals are highly toxic to humans and wildlife alike. For these reason, the contents of a porta potty cannot be released directly into groundwater, and must be processed by an appropriate wastewater system."

can you share what you're quoting here?  source?
i'm curious, because digesters using formaldehyde and the like are falling out of favor, and biodegradable compounds are more common.  i wonder how that changes things.