When you pass out it's like being dropped from your full height!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You don't go down easy like in the movies. You just drop like a sack of potatoes. When you pass out into a mesquite bush, it's like being dropped into a pile of sharp sticks. I now have deep scratches all up the left side of my back, my neck, and face.

I woke up yesterday with diarrhea and nausea. I'm not quite sure if it's food poisoning from the fish sandwich I ate at McDonald's the day before yesterday, or if I have the flu. But it hit me pretty hard. The first time I passed out, I got no warning that I was about to go and I was standing right next to a mesquite bush. All I know is that I woke up laying in all those dried, sharp, broken, sticks that make up the underside of most mesquite bushes. No major injuries. Just lots of deep scratches.

So, throughout the rest of the ordeal, I made damned sure I was never within 7' of a cactus. But, I did pass out again and the sharp rocks weren't too very comfortable either.

Was I dehydrated? Of course! I had been pooping nothing but water all morning. Plus I threw up all of my breakfast. And I couldn't hold anything down. So I don't need to be told that I should drink more water. 

Now I am just in that slow recovery mode. I'm hungry as hell but I don't dare eat too much at once. Fortunately, I had just stocked up on my favorite yogurt, and I have some Ritz crackers. So I have some easily digestible stuff to keep me alive while I get my strength back.

The worst part is that, every time I move, I stretch out what feels like an acre of fresh scabs.

There's not much anyone can do for me. I just felt like I needed some extra pity today.

Whoa, that doesn't sound fun at all. Please take care of yourself and if you don't start feeling better go to a walk-in heath clinic. Keep us updated.

LCTD
Yuck, that sounds awful. I hope you're feeling better soon. Do you have any aloe for your scrapes and cuts?

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

I’d bring you jello but I’m still not close enough. I hope you get feeling better soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fell chest first into a cactus once. Or, to be more precise, groin to pecs. That was in Hunter Canyon, near Moab, past the end of the trail.

Remembering to stay hydrated when you are sick is a problem.

How awful!

You deserve pity for what you’ve been through, and you have it from me.

Plain cooked rice can be helpful in calming things down, and bananas are usually not too threatening to upset systems.

I keep a generic Imodium AD in my first aid kit, which works pretty quickly to stop diarrhea.

If things don’t settle down pretty soon, I agree that you should get yourself to a prompt care, and maybe should anyway, to have yourself checked out.

Good luck to you.

I passed out when I was going through cancer treatment. I stood too quickly, felt the first hint of dizziness, then the next thing I was aware of I was bumping into furniture during the last few inches of my fall. It's like someone edited a second from my memory. Totally gone. As near as I can tell, mine was a semi-slow collapse to my side. No damage to me or my surroundings. Lucky me.

However, I've taken some good falls in the great outdoors while totally conscious. Catching a toe, or having a rock shift under foot, or a bit of grit on a hard surface making me slip... Banged up some knees, shins, hands, elbows... Fortunately, my automatic fall reactions have kept my head out of danger. And I've managed to not collide with any cacti. So far.

Glad you are feeling better now. Must not have been the flu after all so that is great news!

I always carry a 6 pack of Gator aid. I was soo dehydrated at American Girl Mine I could not get out of bed I purposely rolled over fell 2 ft to the van floor and crawled out and got help Nurse Sarge was called and fixed me up. I leave bottled water under bushes by the roadside, paying forward.

Hope your scratches heal quickly and easily! Glad to know you're on the road to recovery.

I am so sorry to hear you were sick and passed out. That’s awful. I suffer from nausea and vomiting a lot and keep ginger ale ( the real stuff not generic) and saltines. I fall or trip a lot or get yanked like last night *cough* stupid dog but I’ve never passed out. That’s scary. If it happens again you should get checked.
Sorry but I did laugh at your cactus remark. My dog has a lizard obsession and will dive into anything so I have to pay attention that it isn’t a cactus