Starlink - The Scoop From A Nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price per unit will be determined by the market. If the cost per unit is too high, then there will be fewer takers and that will cause a decrease in overall profit. Just let it play out and see.

, on the modest investment...

One of the detractors stated against SL is the upfront cost, yet I see people that desire a lot of bandwidth, shelling out similar amounts for WeeBoost type systems, and paying $149 a month for Nomad Internet....

So then, when comparing apples to apples SL is not all that much more.

Also note that when some say they have unlimited bandwidth for less, they are likely getting less in the way of lower resolution streaming...

However.. IF you are getting what you need at lower cost, this is good... but what you are getting is not the same product.. it is serving your need well, but a cell connection that can deliver the bandwidth you get with SL will cost as much or more than SL...

Apples to Apples

Usually if it sounds too good to be true, it turns out badly.
In the case of Starlink it certainly sounds good, but there are still minor operational technicalities that should get ironed out in time.

I'll let those Beta folks enjoy the current technology for the time being and look at it again 6 months or a year from now before pulling the trigger, or not, on the modest investment...
I agree.
Starlink is only going to get better.
That being said, I make it a habit not to buy the first and sometimes not even the second generation of something. Let other people work the bugs out and I can continue to gather data.

There was so much wrong with Robins video, I had to unsubscribe. So much wrong.

As someone who tried weBoost, and nomad internet, and now happily using Starlink, there is no comparison. Starlink is far and away the best provider. It's still kind of awkward setting up and tearing down compared to a cell plan hotspot, but it works everywhere!

There are a few people around me that have it.
I also know a few people living indoors that have them too.
I have found through them that it works well, well enough and it’s only going to get better.
It means I can go to Mattole beach for the full 14 days if I bring enough water. 🙂

Just watched a youtube video from a couple who use nomad internet and they are happy with it.

Anyone here have nomad and can share your opinion of it?
Be aware of positive reviews that include referral links - they get credit for having convinced someone to try the service. There are also negative reviews on youtube, and they have no incentive to post those - they post them because that is what they truly feel.

Make sure you check other sites as well. Yelp and TrustPilot for example have overwhelmingly negative reviews on Nomad.

I suggest you start a new thread dedicated to Nomad Internet for more feedback. This thread we're on is meant to be about Starlink and some folk with Nomad experience may never even click on this one.

Be aware of positive reviews that include referral links - they get credit for having convinced someone to try the service. There are also negative reviews on youtube, and they have no incentive to post those - they post them because that is what they truly feel.

Make sure you check other sites as well. Yelp and TrustPilot for example have overwhelmingly negative reviews on Nomad.

I suggest you start a new thread dedicated to Nomad Internet for more feedback. This thread we're on is meant to be about Starlink and some folk with Nomad experience may never even click on this one.
Nomad Internet is a company name, you’d be better off with a thread called Internet for Nomads.

Nomad Internet is a company name, you’d be better off with a thread called Internet for Nomads.
I was replying to a post that specifically asked for opinions of the company named Nomad Internet; the question was not about the general topic of internet for nomads.

With the recent increase in speculation about extraterrestrials visiting our skies, I think I'll wait. Logically, one of their early steps in making contact with us Earthers should be giving us some sort of quantum telecommunications system for free. Lagless, unlimited, unthrottled internet with uploads-downloads at the speed of thought regardless of environmental obstructions. And impervious to snow.
If you're serious, please forgive my high degree of laughter... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A new report out is a good read. SL's download speed is up on avg for stationary clients and down some on the upload. Other articles referencing this report bemoan the price increase but cushion that with the fact that it is the only high speed service many rural users can get. It also mentions that there are other providers ramping up to compete with SL. This is good.. competition will make all products better and keep costs reasonable.

https://www.ookla.com/articles/starlink-hughesnet-viasat-performance-q1-2022
My video is almost ready to publish.. ;)

I live 5 miles south of a tiny little town in Southern NM, 30 miles north of the Mexican border and am surrounded by onion fields, pecan orchards, cotton fields and cattle farms. Yet, I get ATT and verizon ok. I know this doesn't apply to everyone who is in a "rural" setting, but city folks I've known are blown away by how "country" it is where I live. So, there's "rural" and "really really rural", I guess.

I live 5 miles south of a tiny little town in Southern NM, 30 miles north of the Mexican border and am surrounded by onion fields, pecan orchards, cotton fields and cattle farms. Yet, I get ATT and verizon ok. I know this doesn't apply to everyone who is in a "rural" setting, but city folks I've known are blown away by how "country" it is where I live. So, there's "rural" and "really really rural", I guess.
Hughesnet satellite reaches very rural. I used it for about 6 years. Starlink provides internet for mobile users, which hughesnet doesn't.

There are a few other mobile internet providers besides Starlink.

“So, there's "rural" and "really really rural"
Try saying that fast three times after a few drinks. 😝