What you? Herbivore or Carnivore

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you eat?

• No animals or animal products

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Animal products but no animals

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 8 oz of meat/day or less

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • more than 8 oz of meat/day

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
A statement made in the 'Going Green' forum stated 'so many nomads [are] vegan' that I am not sure is true.  Hence a poll.

You're too quick HDR. It took me a while to figure out how to make a poll.

sometimes I don't eat meat in a day but most of the time I do. it just depends on what I am in the mood for. highdesertranger

The poll shows a lot of people 8 oz or less. Maybe people are forgetting about eggs, fish, and chicken and are thinking pork and beef.

I'm also an omnivore. I have incisors, canine and molars for teeth. If I only had molars I guess I would be vegetarian or vegan.

I dunno....is BACON considered 'meat' or 'CANDY' !!   :p

DannyB1954 said:
The poll shows a lot of people 8 oz or less. Maybe people are forgetting about eggs, fish, and chicken and are thinking pork and beef.

I mostly eat chicken, just because I like it. But I also have a weakness for Beef-n-Cheddars, and Big Macs. 

;)

As a remnant of my backpacking days though I usually go for the highest calories in the smallest weight.

Most of the family including 1st, 2nd, & 3rd cousins are in the Kill It & Grill It camp, but now a nomad I'll just grill it.

I'm skeptical of vegans, but I find myself going more and more that way. Having veggies on the road is a challenge, especially fresh and frozen.

I have eaten both. But I find herbivores have a better flavor.

I eat lots of chicken. Oh, and eggs. Sometimes protein shakes. Other proteins here and there.

I've been vegetarian on and off, but didn't like what tofu was doing to me and didn't find any other proteins could replace meat, eggs, and dairy. At least not without giving me horrific gas -- and I mean that in every way it can be interpreted.

I'm about 85% vegetarian which in the eyes of herbivores means I'm 0% vegetarian.

I shared this thread with some folks as we were gathered round chatting when the conversation turned towards food. Among us were meat eaters & plant eaters & junk food junkies & fans of Dunkies. Seems that the latter two categories were the ones that didn't have to kill something to eat so they were feeling pretty good about their choice of diets, especially after listening to the meat & plant eater debate. In the end though we all agreed that something had to die to make the beer and we were all good with that.

From this very carefully designed and scientifically valid poll :p , 20% of respondents claim to be vegetarian, with the majority of those claiming to be vegans (15%).  About 3.3% of the American population claim to be vegetarian, with 2.7% claiming to be vegan.

This validates the statement that 'so many nomads are vegan', at least in this group.
https://www.vrg.org/nutshell/Polls/2016_adults_veg.htm

The two surprises for me was that the vegans are a significantly bigger slice of the vandweller than the general population and that (my defined) meat heavy eaters outnumber the meat light eaters.

mudbunny said:
I was raised on  . . . lutefisk and lefse.

I could not stay in the house when my mother was cooking lutefisk (a Christmas tradition in our family).

Yep Spiff, it requires an acquired taste that I never really acquired. I loved the lefse but only ate the lutefisk so I could get prune cake (vina-torta) for desert. Lutefisk ranks right in there with liver on my food ladder.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.