what would you do?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsun

Reaction score
Ok plans are to leave sometime in may. Putting in applications saying my availability is late may - october. Im working now in a job I dont care for but making decent money. Planned to stay there another 3 months to give me a decent emergency savings. Then leave out for a summer job in the PNW.

Get the call last week going over basics said $25/week camp is available and early june is fine. scheduled a more in depth phone interview for yesterday. The HR girl says cheaper camp is full but the other one is not. But it's for large RV's and $60 a week. Then said I need to be there by april 11th. (cause I want to drive through rockies in april!) and it's only 4 days a week 2 night shifts and 2 day shifts. I wanted nights due to my dog...she can sleep while I work.

So it went from june is fine, $25 a week camp, 40hrs a week to april for $60 a week and only 32hrs. It puts a huge financial uncertainty on me and presses me for time. I still got a bunch of work to do on the camper let alone getting rid of my crap here while working 50hrs a week. Plus IDK about committing to a job for 6 straight months. Who knows if It's going to work out.

should I forget it? They want an answer by friday.

Do you other possibilities in mind? That is a lot of changes and will cut you short on your emergency savings giving up a month. I'm guessing this is quite a distance also. Personally, I would be afraid the deal might change again when I got there. Have you been able to see any reviews on this employer or have you asked around about what this employer is like? I think do some investigating if you are considering going to make sure the employer is worthy of your presence.

My thoughts too. Get there after driving 2300 miles and suddenly the dog isn't allowed. Not much reviews to check.

I had a similar experience happen to me recently and figure the deal could be a as they feel that day thing. Fine for them but it would suck to spend the cash to drive that far and find the deal changed again.

Don't trust any of them till you have been there and seen and talked with long term managers, and some places they don't exist (don't plan on working there long if ever). Even jobs that have been forever may not be tomorrow, and I do mean the next day! Don't let you emergency fund get so low you can't survive until you find another job. Just had a fellow commit suicide because he got fired and had no place to go and no way to get there if he did and didn't know anyone he thought could help, sad.

They're already screwing with you by changing things up. It's not going to get better.

Are you on FB? There's a workamper group. Someone, there, might be able to offer more insight.

:s I've only had 2 experiences attempting to work in a campground that I knew little or nothing about.  Central TX @ yogibear c.g.......minumum wage ...very few hrs......& I was to pay them to camp while I worked there.  Thankfully I'd only driven 200 miles to check it out before I committed....I passed on it.

In SD I drove across the state E. to W after closing my house and loading everything I needed for a long term stay only to find the provided housing was filthy, with trash and dirty underwear laying about and a big hole it the hallway floor covered with a throw rug.  Also it was supposed to be a 2bdr and summer work for my teenage son for the summer......It was a small 1bdrm house trailer and no one even there at my schedualed arrival time.   I was to be the cafe manager.......made me wonder how they'd treat a minimum wage staff member.     I took pics., put the cat back in the Bronco and drove back home.

Where did you find these guys?  Have you tried Workamper News?  I think they keep an eye on and may record employers that up to standards.    

Hope things work out for you

Jewellann

Id have backup options. Especially if its changed once, who is to say they wont again?

Im a planner.

It happened to me and my friend with an agency that took over our site. 3/4 to interview they cancelled cu my credential wasn't up yet. My friend try bait and switched her 3 times. Told her not to bother with them. They're playing games. Good luck.

I didnt take it. I stayed put and am working at a small time bike shop for the summer.