cook for a ghost town cafe

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
So the cafe in Chloride, NM has been closed since Covid but the owner -- who also runs the museum -- says she'd reopen it if she had a decent cook. I didn't think to ask for details, but it sounded like she usually hired 2 people, a cook and a waiter, although she might be able to get the wait staff locally. I think there's free housing that goes with the job. She'd prefer someone with restaurant experience.

Chloride is an old mining town, about 45 minutes off I-25 (decent 2-lane road, not sure what it's like in winter) and a little farther from the nearest town with shops and services, which is Truth or Consequences. Buckets o' history, buckets o' scenery, buckets o' nature, and apparently a lot of artsy-craftsy people in the general area. I don't know what the non-ghosts do for a living, probably ranching would be my guess.

Currently the museum/gift shop is open, the cafe is closed, and a small RV park + couple of cabins are open. I think it would take some initiative to make this work, but for the right person it could be fun. She would prefer to be contacted via the cafe's email -- [email protected] -- but if you want more info about the place in general you could check www.pioneerstoremuseum.com ... or just mosey on over and camp in their RV park for a couple days!

Posted on 8/13/2023.

That's a sweet spot for someone who likes the SW boonies. I drove through there a few years back. 6200 ft elevation so pretty ideal climate. 13" of rain, avg highs low 50s in Jan, high 80s in July. Any snow wouldn't last long. Vast Gila forest directly to the west. Winston is a little bigger and only a couple miles away, and TorC has a nice Walmart and all the basics.

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3468572,-107.6557338,15z/data=!5m1!1e4?entry=ttu