What watt will work, we wonder

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nature lover

Reaction score
Hello from Pennsylvania. Another electrical question. I just got a teaser deal from Amazon. Great price on a portable 120 W solar panel. I think I wanted more wattage but 120 and this price is not bad. The problem is it’s 18 V. My refrigerator is 12 V. What say ye?

The panel operates through the charge controller and charges a 12 volt battery. The fridge operates from the battery.

All '12V' solar panels will put out 16 to 19 amps.

Does the portable panel have an integral charge controller?
Do you have a battery?

A refrigerator 'can' be run without a battery BUT you need to run it through a charge controller to ensure that you don't fry the refrigerator electronics AND the refrigerator will only run when the panel is putting out enough energy (5 or 6 hours a day).

I have to go back to see if the panel enclosures includes a charge controller. I know one is needed and had intended to put it closer to my batteries as recommended by some. I have to have the fridge for several medications. And since I prefer parking under a shade tree to camp. I have to goTo a portable panel. Eventually I’d like a rooftop panel to supplement the portable panel and have that rooftop panel working when I am driving rather than just reply on the alternator to charge while I am driving. Every time I think I know what I need to know about this electrical system I realize that I am confused and questions come up.

I just went back to the Amazon ad and cannot find a mention of a charge controller so I assume it’s not there. Good for me because I want to charge controller near the batteries when I’m running a portable on a long wire

So if I’m understanding the advice handed out here the panel is 18 volt but it will charge a 12 V system and of course it’s the refrigerator that requires to 12 V so I should be good to go. I was just confused and questioning if the 18 V panel was compatible with the 12 V system I am installing. Thank you so much for everyone who replied without you guys I would be lost and maybe I am still lost God bless us all everyone