Cheap dual fuel 2500 watt generator on sale now (June 2023)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37446

Reaction score
Hi all,

I like to window shop on Amazon, it’s a tmewaster but gives me some idea of what is available. I would like to post the info to see if anyone is interested. I have zero to gain by doing this, just saw a good deal and maybe it will solve someones problem.

In that spirit, heres a deal that, if it helps someone, I’d be glad:

Champion Power Equipment 200961 2500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight​

Visit the Champion Power Equipment Store
4.5 4.5 out of 5 stars 1,637 ratings

Amazon's Choice in Outdoor Generators by Champion Power Equipment
Deal -51% $414.42
List Price: $839.00

Nice, I have the Champion 2,000 watt generator and I really like it. It broke in nicely and I drained the gas and put it away until I leave next month. I looked at the 2,500 watt unit but decided to get the smaller one and, I caught a good sale and coupon and got it for about $365.00 on ebay when amazon was selling it for $440. Ironically, my unit was actually shipped to me by Amazon so I assume the ebay seller was also an Amazon seller too? Mine is not dual fuel but I do not really need that feature. $414 for that unit is a steal in my opinion. Champion seems to get good reviews overall.

I have that generator but have only run it on propane powering an efficient low energy 5,000 btu air conditioner which it did fine after properly breaking it in and changing the oil a few times. Nice to be able to store it without dealing with the problems old gasoline can cause.

I have that generator but have only run it on propane powering an efficient low energy 5,000 btu air conditioner which it did fine after properly breaking it in and changing the oil a few times. Nice to be able to store it without dealing with the problems old gasoline can cause.
Storing without gas problems is a big plus, yes.
I believe the power output is reduced by a couple hundred watts when run on propane, something to consider when sizing.

The Champion manual on mine says if not going to use for a few weeks, to follow the long term storage proceedure, which is basically just running it until it stops from lack of fuel. This eliminates the fuel in the carb. bowl and helps prevent the damage that the ethanol in the gas can do to those carbs. On my 50cc scooter, I have had to replace my carb 3 times even though i used a fuel stabilizer in the system over the winter months. That ethanol just eats up the metal in the carbs and i was astonished by the damage it caused. We only have one location here that sells ethanol free gas and they charge a rediculous price for it. New carbs for my scooter cost only $25 so cheaper in the long run to replace them every 2 years. I dont mind doing the long term storage proceedure on the generator but i can see where propane has an advantage there, and it also contains no ethanol.

If you go by an airport see if they have MOGAS which is 94 octane car gas with no ethanol. Some stations have real gas with no ethanol also some equipment dealers. Many planes have STCs to use car gas but no ethanol. You can test for ethanol buy filling a jar 1/4 full with water, marking the level with a marker then adding about the same amount of pump gas, shake up & wait 10 minutes. If the level where the gas meets the water is at the line you drew means no ethanol. If the airport asks what you're putting it in just say ultralight which your genset is.

A Mogas Primer

Mogas (also called autogas) is lead-free, ethanol-free gasoline that meets ASTM D4814 specifications, which includes most automotive fuel.

If you go by an airport see if they have MOGAS which is 94 octane car gas with no ethanol. Some stations have real gas with no ethanol also some equipment dealers. Many planes have STCs to use car gas but no ethanol. You can test for ethanol buy filling a jar 1/4 full with water, marking the level with a marker then adding about the same amount of pump gas, shake up & wait 10 minutes. If the level where the gas meets the water is at the line you drew means no ethanol. If the airport asks what you're putting it in just say ultralight which your genset is.

A Mogas Primer

Mogas (also called autogas) is lead-free, ethanol-free gasoline that meets ASTM D4814 specifications, which includes most automotive fuel.
Great idea, my only issue would be cost. Even way back when I was flying planes out of our local airport, autogas was still 2 times the price at the pump and I bet it is even higher now. It is great gas though and is exactly as you describe. The one station in town here that I know of that sells ethanol free gas is extremely high on the price, which is why I never bought it for my scooter. A $25 carb once every 2 years was much cheaper than buying that high priced fuel all the time. (Plus it is way on the other side of the city from me and I never get to that side of town.) It is pretty easy to remove the ethanol from pump gas and I see folks on YT videos demonstrating this. One thing they forget to mention, or do not know, is that now that the ethanol has been removed, the octane level of their gas is now way below the specs required for just about all engines and can cause damage if they use it like that. One guy said he gets around this by adding "octane boost" to his gas after removing the ethanol. I hated to tell him that most octane boost products are made up of alcohol, either methanol or ethanol.

I wonder, does that really high octane of the Mogas make the small engines hard to start? Most of these engines were designed to be used with regular gas and 94 octane is higher than even the highest octane gas available at the gas pumps for cars. I am not saying it would, just wondering. I used to race go karts back in the day fueled by 100% methanol. Since the octane was so much higher, it could be difficult to start up sometimes. Some folks started on gas then switched over to alcohol for this reason when starting. My understanding is that a higher octane fuel has a higher resistance to being ignited and burned than lower octane fuel, which is why higher octane is used to avoid pre-ignition/detonation with higher compression ratios. My guess is that my generator would start and run just fine on mogas.

When I was flying regularly I made a deal with the local Shell station to not use ethanol & we all bought our gas there. I had 30 & 14 gal roll around gal cans & would mix 5 gal of auto with 1 gal of 100LL & 8oz of MMO for my '38 Taylorcraft after they quit selling 80LL & never fouled a plug. It had a true 3.5 GPH burn rate cruising 100 & flew for $10 per hour but gas was cheaper then. I bought the Bonanza V-tail that cruied 185 @ 22 sqd on 10 GPH & cost $50 per hour in fuel. 100LL is now $5.75/gal.

When I was flying regularly I made a deal with the local Shell station to not use ethanol & we all bought our gas there. I had 30 & 14 gal roll around gal cans & would mix 5 gal of auto with 1 gal of 100LL & 8oz of MMO for my '38 Taylorcraft after they quit selling 80LL & never fouled a plug. It had a true 3.5 GPH burn rate cruising 100 & flew for $10 per hour but gas was cheaper then. I bought the Bonanza V-tail that cruied 185 @ 22 sqd on 10 GPH & cost $50 per hour in fuel. 100LL is now $5.75/gal.
Wow, a Bonanza V tail, what a great airplane. I never flew in one but I knew a guy that had one and flew all over the US in it and he loved it. I could not even afford the gas for a Cessna 152 these days.