Dual fuel 18,000 watt generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy Clipper

Reaction score
OK. Let's assume I am not going with solar this year. First of all the bus is totally electric and normally would run off a generator. There is a 25 gallon electric hot water heater, a microwave, the water pump, the lights and the television. I am adding two forced air blow dryers and two central vacuum units and two small submersible pumps and two small water pumps. Let's say I take the time and find the most energy efficient models and I add an 18,000 watt dual fuel generator to this set up. I would like to enjoy power without running the generator in the evenings. Because the generator Would run for at least four hours each day Would I be able to add batteries and an inverter to run the microwave, the refrigerator a few lights and my laptop overnight?

Also nothing in the main part of the bus would be running while we are working in the shop. I know this sounds like a lot but I bet your average Rick band traveling around in a huge bus like this uses about the same juice. Also only two appliances would be running at a time.

Doesn't the bus have an on-board diesel generator already?

I recall seeing a roof AC on the bus...so figure that in also.

The bus probably has a bank of 4 large truck batteries...and these can normally power the incidental 'hotel loads' all night.

It does have a generator but I am not sure of the age so I was thinking worse case scenario. I wasn't really thinking about the heat. But it does have four new batteries.

Generally speaking, those 4 batteries will be able to easily power normal, intermittent, or  light loads all nite long...but I dont know how much power the fridge draws and they certainly wont operate the AC all night long in the desert. If you invest in a DC fridge like the TruckFridge units, then YES...the batteries will power it with no problem. You can also buy a standalone LVD (low voltage disconnect) for the fridge and other loads, so if the batteries begin to drain, those loads will be disconnected and an alarm will sound.

As is, thru an inverter you can run a microwave a few times and at least some lighting and easily charge the laptop, assuming some genset run time during the day.

In commercial lingo, which you may remember, these are all called 'hotel loads'...not including the AC, or any of the other dog-grooming equipment you mentioned.

If the on-board genset turns out to be history: if it were me, I would buy a diesel generator with electric start and that way you only have to carry one fuel, and you can buy all you need with only one stop at the diesel lanes.

a 18Kw generator is huge, usually mounted on a trailer that's enough power to run 3-4 houses. also it doesn't matter how big the generator is as far as charging the batteries. this falls on the battery charger. keep in mind heating anything off electricity is very inefficient. that bus was meant to be plugged into the grid. highdesertranger

Some of the large bus-conversion motorhomes have 12 to 20 kw diesel generators...(often called power plants). Power is NEVER a problem. We're talking VanHool, MCI, Prevost etc.

But...I have no idea what is in that older MCI. Probably much smaller.

There is a diesel power plant in it. I'm not sure of the size or condition until I get there. I hadn't tea considered it would power the additional equipment but if I am smart in my choices of equipment I am sure the on board power plant will take care of anything I need to run during the day. I have seen that even if I have to replace the entire thing they are fairly common an not totally outrageous price wise. I just don't want to have to run it 24/7 as to be a good neighbor and enjoy quiet time. I am in contact with the seller and he is really just the second owner so he should have most of these answers for the current capabilities. I just don't want to keep bothering him with these kinds of questions. Supposedly it is road ready. But he knows nothing about adding solar or the grooming equipment. I figure I can keep picking the brains here and get some idea what I will be dealing with when I get there to pick it up.

Another thing to consider is cost of fuel and maintenance. A generator that size will burn about a gallon of diesel fuel an hour at 1/2 load, and about 1.5 gallons at full load. I doubt that it will ever run it at full load though. So if you plan on running it 4 hrs a day that's about $15/day. Other fuels would be even costlier. You could pay for a FHU passport America CG for that price and have all the electricity and water you want, not to mention all the other amenities, like a bath house, etc. Just something to consider.

Chip

I'm not sure I made myself clear. I am using the coach for my home and my business. Actually I will probably run it more than four hours a day. I was just trying to figure out how to come up with "quiet time" so I could be a good neighbor. Also I'm not really sure of the size of the generator or its condition. I am just trying to find out what my options are. If I have to replace it or repair it I want to know what I should do it with. But most likely I will replace it with another diesel generator and add to the batteries to make it so I can run a few creature comforts after I am finished working for the day.

Chip, I think her plan is to run the genset when she has paying customers...and then offset the fuel cost with that income.

Someone walks up with Fido, says he needs the 'works'...and so Miss Clipper fires up the generator, heats up some water, grabs the clippers and gets to work. An hour later the deed is done and she earns...I have no idea what that earns...Forty dollars? I haven't had a dog that needed grooming in 35 years so I have no clue....

But at any rate, the fuel cost along with supplies, plus some profit, is all figured into the cost of doing business. This repeats a couple of times or more, on an average day...I would actually be more concerned with water supply....I would imagine this job uses a fair amount of precious, clean water.

But if she had a couple of 100 watt panels then, electrically, the coach might be close to self-sustaining during days when there is no income.

Exactly! And that is about what I charge. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's all depending on the customer and the dog.
Water isn't really an issue either as I use a recirculating bather and very low sudsing organic shampoos. The entire process takes less than ten gallons depending on how much hair my little client has.
Honestly this coach has ever need to do it except me doing it. I will never be able to replace the entire system and go solar because it is appliance heavy. And most the tools I use run 1/4 HP to 1 HP motors.
A portable generator is cheaper to run I would think but even at that there are so many added issues. And honestly not grooming dogs is probably cheaper but I like doing it and I like to travel so this works out well.