Good Deal Duel Fuel Champion 4000 watt Generator at Walmart $299

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flylo

Reaction score

Sportsman 4000W Portable Dual-Fuel Generator​

$299
$499.00
+ Free Shipping
FancyMoney9667
+50 Deal Score
33,786 Views100 Comments
dollarStack.svg
INTRODUCING SLICKDEALS REWARDSAdd up to 10% back at hundreds of your favorite stores.Join Now
Walmart has Sportsman 4000W Portable Dual-Fuel Generator (GEN4000DF) for $299. Shipping is free.

Thanks to Community Member FancyMoney9667 for finding this deal.

Product Features:
  • 4,000 peak surge watts and 3,500 rated running watts
  • Can run most household appliances and power tools
  • Runs on gasoline or liquid propane fuel
  • 7 HP, 4-stroke OHV engine delivers maximum performance
  • Recoil start
  • 212 cc engine displacement
  • 120V operation
  • Decibel rating < 69 dB @ 0% Load
  • Four 120V outlets, one 120V RV outlet, one 12V DC outlet
  • Regulator hose kit included
  • 3.6-gallon fuel tank
  • Gasoline run time 10hours at 50 percent load
  • LP run time: 12 hours at 50 percent load (on 20lb Propane Tank)

Editor's Notes & Price Research​

Written by powerfuldoppler
  • About this deal:
    • Our research indicates that this offer is $50.99 lower (14% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting from $349.99.
    • Please read the Forum Thread for more deal discussion.
  • About this product:
    • Rating of 4.3 from over 320 Walmart customer reviews.
  • About this store:
    • Details of Walmart's return policy (here)
  • Deal Image
  • Deal Image
  • Deal Image
Deal Image
See Deal
Good deal?
Bell.png
FancyMoney9667 posted this deal. Say thanks!
Give Thanks

"High Altitude Use: This generator is not recommended for high altitude use above 3,000 feet."

This usually means they don't offer a high altitude carburetor jet for the unit.

Most gen sets say that. I have 2 & never a problem. They have the HA Jet, here's a you tube on how to install. Imaginary problem solved!

How does altitude affect a generator’s performance?

All generators operate on the combustion that requires oxygen. But at high altitudes, the oxygen available in the air becomes lower and lower so much so that the generator no more runs fine and faces operational difficulty.
Without proper combustion, the generator can lose power, and its performance efficiency can drop by 3 percent at a higher altitude. To counter this issue, some generators come with a high altitude kit for enhanced operation above sea level, which offers a simple method of adjusting the air/fuel ratio by injecting a limited amount of fuel into the carburetor.

How do I estimate generator power loss at high altitude?​

Any motor will create a given measure of force dependent on how much fuel and air it burns-through. High power burdens and RPMs burn-through more fuel. Since fuel and air are in a to some degree consistent proportion, the motor will require more air at higher power yields. Lamentably, as we drive our RVs up into higher rises, the air gets more slender and the motor loses it’s capacity to deliver it’s greatest evaluated power. This outcomes in a comparing drop in generator yield wattage.
Various motors will respond in differing sums. For example, the yield wattage of the Onan Marquis Gold series of gas fueled generators will lose 3.5% for each 1,000′ in height gain more than 3,000′. The Onan QuietPower Diesel 10,000 watt will derate 3.5% for each 1,000′ more than 500′ and it further derates by 1% for each 10 degrees F expansion in temperature more than 85 degrees F. A decent guideline for most gensets is that you will lose 10% of the appraised yield each time you gain 3,000′ in elevation. This implies that a 7,500 watt generator running at 9,000′ of elevation may be fit for creating somewhat more than 5,000 watts at that height.
Diesel motors are really well ready to deal with the fuel infusion prerequisites at higher heights yet carbureted gas controlled motors don’t have that extravagance. The Onan Marquis Gold series of generators utilizes carburetors. These gensets do have a height pay change on the carburetor. By dialing in a higher height you will incline out the combination to forestall flash fitting fouling and exorbitant smoke. It is vital that you additionally dial it back when slipping to bring down heights or probably the motor will run lean and you will consume the motor’s valves.

What are the other environmental factors that impact the performance of a generator?

Apart from high altitudes, temperature fluctuations, and changes in humidity levels also impact a generator’s performance. High temperatures also mean thinner air causing similar problems as caused by the high altitude. Meanwhile, water vapors present in the environment with very high humidity can displace oxygen resulting in impaired combustion. Be it altitude, temperature, or humidity, all these factors impact the availability of oxygen in the air and result in inefficient combustion.

Last edited:
Most gen sets say that. I have 2 & never a problem. They have the HA Jet, here's a you tube on how to install. Imaginary problem solved!

No, they don't.

Most 'brand-name' generators DO come with instructions in the manual on how to order and install the high altitude jet. Brand names such as Honda. Yamaha, Champion, Generac, etc. In fact many of these brand name gensets are rated to operate at 4000 to 5000 feet without a jetting change.

My caution to the readers is that if they purchase this genset they might have to change the jetting with aftermarket parts and/or deal with carburation problems (flooding, rough idle, hard starting) and/or accept reduced output at higher elevations. Manufacturers use a higher wattage rating label on a genset for operation at or near sea-level which is common, but not realistic at the higher elevations many of us are located, especially in the warmer months.

This is not an 'imaginary problem'. It is actual physics.

Not saying the genset is not a good deal, if a buyer wants and is willing to live with a loud contractors open-frame genset in a typical campsite or boondock area, but just be aware that it may not be suitable for some of our members here who cannot (or will not) accept the task of carburetor modification.

And what's with the ginormous bell icon and the link to 'slick deals'...are you getting a commission thru an affiliate link with that company?

Just asking.

Last edited:
Champion makes some nice small and QUIET inverter dual fuel gennies. I've got one rated at 2800 running watts. It's pretty sweet. Those open framers are probably best at a S&B location or maybe on a job site. It's a good deal for though. Just not what I personally would take on the road.

Cheers!

That was another thing I didn’t see was whether or not it was an inverter generator which if I understand correctly makes a difference when running some modern electrical appliances and computers.

That looks to be a really quiet inverter generator and you got it $150 below list price in the add! Good going! What does the owners manual recommend for fuel or fuel treatments? My generator required ethanol treatment to prevent fuel system problems, would have never known if I hadn't read the manual

When I bought it list was $499 & it was free delivery. I don't use ethanol. We have a local station that doesn't use ethanol & many airports sell MOGAS which is car gas with no ethanol. Do you know how to test for it? Use a jar & put about 1/3 full of water & with a sharpie make a line where the top of the water is. Add 1/3 jar og gas, put the lid on & shake then let it set for a few minutes & if the water level hasn't moved from the line there is no ethanol. It's added at the fuel farm just before leaving or sometime at the station. Worst thing they've done to fuel IMHO.

I don't know that I have ever seen - or more importantly - heard a generator that wouldn't make me want to pack up and move along. I know many of us consider "personal choice" a highly important thing. And, I do too. But, there comes a time when not intruding on my neighbor is even more important.

Sportsman 4000W Portable Dual-Fuel Generator​

$299
$499.00
+ Free Shipping
FancyMoney9667
+50 Deal Score
33,786 Views100 Comments
dollarStack.svg
INTRODUCING SLICKDEALS REWARDSAdd up to 10% back at hundreds of your favorite stores.Join Now
Walmart has Sportsman 4000W Portable Dual-Fuel Generator (GEN4000DF) for $299. Shipping is free.

Thanks to Community Member FancyMoney9667 for finding this deal.

Product Features:
  • 4,000 peak surge watts and 3,500 rated running watts
  • Can run most household appliances and power tools
  • Runs on gasoline or liquid propane fuel
  • 7 HP, 4-stroke OHV engine delivers maximum performance
  • Recoil start
  • 212 cc engine displacement
  • 120V operation
  • Decibel rating < 69 dB @ 0% Load
  • Four 120V outlets, one 120V RV outlet, one 12V DC outlet
  • Regulator hose kit included
  • 3.6-gallon fuel tank
  • Gasoline run time 10hours at 50 percent load
  • LP run time: 12 hours at 50 percent load (on 20lb Propane Tank)

Editor's Notes & Price Research​

Written by powerfuldoppler
  • About this deal:
    • Our research indicates that this offer is $50.99 lower (14% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting from $349.99.
    • Please read the Forum Thread for more deal discussion.
  • About this product:
    • Rating of 4.3 from over 320 Walmart customer reviews.
  • About this store:
    • Details of Walmart's return policy (here)
  • Deal Image
  • Deal Image
  • Deal Image
Deal Image
See Deal
Good deal?
Bell.png
FancyMoney9667 posted this deal. Say thanks!
Give Thanks
In America, we no longer have 20# five-gallon propane bottles.
The label clearly states 'Fifteen pounds, 4.2-gallons'.
Taking this into consideration, run-time might be different than advertised.
And an open-frame genset might keep the neighborhood happy if you build a sound-absorbing enclosure...
...or only operate it inside your rig with the windows and doors shut tight.
The engine should probably die about the time the oxygen is depleted, so there is no danger of it running out of oil or other maintenance issues.
Kidding.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220403-010037.png
    Screenshot_20220403-010037.png
    420.1 KB · Views: 4