What Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XanHart

Reaction score
I just had a question. I have a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator.link Im looking to buy a 100 watt solar panel for it. I've heard that Renogy makes good ones. Im looking at the 100 watt foldable suitcase link. I know I need an adapter in order to hook up a non Goal Zero panel to the Yeti Solar Generator. My questions are: On the solar Panel; do I need to get one with the controller? or no? And considering that this solar panel will not be mounted on my car, and that space is at a premium, is this the best "bang for your buck" option? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks -Xan

I find it amusing that something marketed as a solar generator, has a big asterisk.

*One needs to add solar photovoltaics.

Do you know what size/type/brand of battery resides within this product?

How many AH capacity?

Knowing this one could make recommendations toward more 'ideal'
But in general more solar is better, especially when cycling the battery to 50% as charge rate plays a huge part in AGM battery longevity.

I am not sure what type of connections come with renogy's suitcase solar.

I like Anderson Powerpoles in 30 and 45 amp flavors for a good low resistance electrical connector. They are not perfect for every situation, but I know of no better options and employ them widely on anything that can pass no more than 45 amps and use upto 8awg wire with them, with some difficulty. 10awg no problem.

SternWake said:
I find it amusing that something marketed as a solar generator, has a big asterisk.

*One needs to add solar photovoltaics.

Do you know what size/type/brand of battery resides within this product?

How many AH capacity?

Knowing this one could make recommendations toward more 'ideal'
But in general more solar is better, especially when cycling the battery to 50% as charge rate plays a huge part in AGM battery longevity.

I am not sure what type of connections come with renogy's suitcase solar.

I like Anderson Powerpoles in 30 and 45 amp flavors for a good low resistance electrical connector.  They are not perfect for every situation, but I know of no better options and employ them widely on anything that can pass no more than 45 amps and use upto 8awg wire with them, with some difficulty.  10awg no problem.
GOAL ZERO YETI 400 SOLAR GENERATOR
$459.99

33Ah sealed lead-acid battery (AGM), 

Charge Times
Wall Charger (72W): 5 hours

Car Charger (30W): 13 hours
Boulder 30 Solar Panel: 26-52 Hours

Ports

USB port (output): 5V, up to 2.1A (10W max), regulated

6mm port (output, 6mm, green, hexagon): 12V, up to 10A (120W max)

12V car port (output): 12V, up to 10A (120W max)

AC inverter US (output, 60Hz, pure sine wave): 110V, 2.6A (300W continuous, 600W surge max)

Power Pole Chaining port: 12V, up to 33A (400W max)
charging port (input, 8mm, blue, circle):14-29V, up to 10A (120W max)

http://www.goalzero.com/creative/assets/guides/Yeti400.pdf

$460 for a 33ah battery, solar charge controller and 300w inverter is extremely overpriced.

XanHart said:
I just had a question. I have a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Solar Generator.link Im looking to buy a 100 watt solar panel for it. I've heard that Renogy makes good ones. Im looking at the 100 watt foldable suitcase link. I know I need an adapter in order to hook up a non Goal Zero panel to the Yeti Solar Generator. My questions are: On the solar Panel; do I need to get one with the controller? or no? And considering that this solar panel will not be mounted on my car, and that space is at a premium, is this the best "bang for your buck" option? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks -Xan

I'm  glad you're not buying the Goal Zero solar panels - $140 at Costco no less for a 30W panel. That's a simply extraordinary markup compared to what you can get elsewhere. I don't know where I've seen a markup like that....

I actually had a Yeti $400 and two GZ 30 watt solar panels. The 400 was supposed to power up my laptop three times before running out of juice. It never got close to that and once I learned more about solar I sent it and the solar panels back. Costco, thankfully, refunded the everything.

The Yeti is super user friendly but I would consider building your own system if you can return it. You can get a lot more bang for the buck.

On the other hand if you're using it in a car - it's very easy to use. (I think the Yeti has a controller in it?)