What made you happy today?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carlex.escapade said:
I have earned the forgiveness from a friend of mine. I guess there's nothing wrong with being nice and admitting that you're wrong even though it's not your fault.

There's an expression:

"Do you want to be right or do you want to be happy"

Okay, maybe not happy, but definitely thankful for modern asthma meds.  My lungs have been a mess for months and with the modern meds and a home nebulizer I get to live like a normal person (well, relatively anyway :D )!

Watching my truck being loaded on a wrecker to go to a real mechanic.

Being cursed at by the service guy at the shop that didn't fix it. Seems something I said offended him.

Rob

Reading Queen's post and realizing in spite of 35 years of smoking (quit 6 years ago) I have a pretty good functioning set of lungs that I've been taking for granted. Deep breath in through my nose, gentle exhale out through my mouth. Wow, that feels awesome. They say air is like sex. You don't think much about it till you ain't getting any.

I was sitting outside in my Polaris talking to a new tenant and his son, just smoking a cigarette and enjoying the night air. The guys wife came out and talked a bit when their daughter came out and wanted to know where her inhaler was, she was having an asthma attack. Mom told her it was packed and she would find it.

Girls started crying which made her worse. I have 'Early Onset COPD' and every type of inhaler the VA has. Got my emergency inhaler, which I seldom use and it's a match.
No ambulance needed and kids breathing fine.

The VA would not approve of my giving any meds away, so I told her she could borrow it...Until it's empty.

Nice smile from a kid my Granddaughters age makes me smile. It's the little things in life, Eh?

Rob

Gunny said:
Gary, Creamed beef on toast. Shit on a shingle in the military. A staple.

Rob

Civilian version, ground beef with gravy from the drippins, almost as good as Uncle Sam's

Got my access pass today. Ranger was real nice about it.

Anyone wondering, I got a copy of "Notice of Award" from a local Soc Sec place(she was bitchier than anyone), took that to the Head Quarters in Flagstaff, said, "I'm here to get an Access Pass for disabled people", he asked if I had Doctor paperwork, I said, "No, but I do have my notice of award", showed him the 2 page paperwork and he was super nice about it. Directly from their website, a "Notice of Award" is the same as a Dr. written paper. Its in a PDF and not easy to find, but a "benefits letter" doesn't cut it. Has to be "Notice of Award". Hopefully that's understandable and maybe helps someone.

ArtW said:
Civilian version, ground beef with gravy from the drippins, almost as good as Uncle Sam's

That's what I've always called SOS.  We had that chipped beef version in school lunches, but I've never seen that chipped beef for sale anywhere.  Must be made for institutional use.

Crow said:
Reading Queen's post and realizing in spite of 35 years of smoking (quit 6 years ago)

Damn, I wish I could quit.  If I had one goal for this 6 months, it was that.  Now 4 months in and I'm still smoking.  Cost as much as my gas, if nothing else.

I required pharmaceutical assistance to quit smoking
My ex did it first, then post seperation took the habit up again due to 'boredom'  :rolleyes:

I'm meeting a friend for lunch today, we haven't seen each other in a while, so many happy's!!

ArtW said:
I required pharmaceutical assistance to quit smoking

I've tried it all - hypnosis, patches - even the social shame hasn't worked.

Plus, they're so cheap here, its like they're paying ME to smoke. LOL

I didn't quit smoking - I just decided one day to see how long I could go without.  No pressure, just a little challenge to myself.
That was six or seven years ago I think.
Now if I could do that with pizza and caffeine I'd be all set :blush:

Since my beloved is still working, my happy for today is it's the WEEKEND!! Just love it when we get to hang out together all day and do whatever we want, retirement is going to rock!

A few weeks ago, my doctor wrote me a script.  Took it to Walgreens and they wanted $900!!!! For a one month supply.  This drug in much lower dosage is available over the counter so after checking that it is indeed the same thing, I bought a bunch of the OTC and take enough to equal the high dose stuff -- $90.

Here's the happy part.  Yesterday, I was in HEB, a Texas grocery chain, and just out of curiosity I stopped at the pharmacy and asked how much for the prescription version.  They said Walgreens must have quoted me the brand name (Prilosec), that with their discount for those without insurance, using the generic brand (Omeprazole), it would be $35!  Guess what I'm doing today?  Going back to get it filled!  Woo hoo!!

Had a beautiful swim today, a lane all to myself, I just glided along feeling my muscles work smoothly beneath my skin. I could feel my heart pumping and was breathing hard, when I finally got out my legs felt like jelly. It was glorious!

Queen said:
Had a beautiful swim today.   It was glorious!

I'm jealous.  I haven't been in a pool in years.  I have no excuse.  There's a pool at work I could any time I want.

I did get out for a nice bike ride today, though, and that made me very happy!

I left the best job I ever had in 2010 to pursue other life goals. Hardest part was leaving the people I worked with, although leaving the pay was a little bit hard too. Got a call from the owner today. He's called me every few months the entire 4 years i've been sick, just to check in and see if I need help with anything and see how my progress is going. Only worked there for a year, so it's touching to think he still cares enough to make those calls.

IanC said:
Damn, I wish I could quit.  If I had one goal for this 6 months, it was that.  Now 4 months in and I'm still smoking.  Cost as much as my gas, if nothing else.

I made a mistake that accidentally caused me to quit smoking.  The mega Corp that I worked for announced that starting next year (which was 2011) smokers get to pay 1500 extra for their health care plan.

So I (and most of the other smokers) thought fine, I'll just check the "I'm not a smoker" box and NOT pay $1500.

So Jan 1 rolls around, the new health plan kicks in and it occurs to me, hey, what if I have a heart attack or something and they do a blood test and find out I'm a smoker and NOT cover it?

So I decided I had to quit.  I mean it really got in my head that I HAD to.  Which made quitting cold turkey easy.  No use jonesing about it or wondering if I should have a smoke; I couldn't.  After I made it 2 days with that mindset I knew I was quit for good.My wife still smoked, I still went outside with the smokers at work on their smoke breaks just to hang out with them, no problem. It was easy, haven't smoked since, no temptation, no urges, I'm done.

I had always figured if I quit smoking it would just cause me to get hit by a bus and die anyway. Well,I was wrong.  It was a mid size SUV.  One week after I quit, lady turns left in front of me and broke my ankle.  There, not as bad as I imagined.