What cooking appliance to get?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second the recommendation of using a Trangia 27-3 Ultralight Stove Set.

Mine is over 30 years old. Burns as hot as gasoline without the explosion or stink issues. Buy a gallon of fuel for $15 at any Home Depot.

I have a 4 cup aluminum coffee percolator that fits perfect and any 7-inch fry pan works great too.

Ignore the naysayers for they have no real world experience with this product
http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-27-3-...0588030&sr=8-2&keywords=Trangia+alcohol+stove

41DcwmjEV3L.jpg

Guy it looks like a Schrader valve to me from the outside, like what's in your valve stems. let us know what you find if you do this and be careful. highdesertranger

I've bought and tried just about every style of stove and mess kit possible in the last three years while living in my van. 

When I was still living in the SWB Dodge van I ended up using one of two mess kit/stoves:

The first one is the Swedish mess kit.
[img=241x124]http://kitup.military.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/05/swedish_mess_kit.jpg[/img]

I didn't think much of the alcohol stove, as it was tough to control/simmer, so I went and bought a Soviet era "clone" 8R stove.
[img=221x165]http://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/1310516652-russian8rclone-01-jpg.65195/[/img]
I've run it mostly on regular pump gasoline, but I've run it on Coleman fuel as well. I installed a silent cap:
[img=135x135]https://somecampingstoves.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/quietstoveforomnifuelandx2.jpg[/img]
I also had a 6" cast iron pan that I used once in a while to make breakfast with that Clone stove, and a Helikon mess kit.
[img=229x229]http://www.militarymart.co.uk/media...b8d27136e95/h/e/helikon_mess_tins_1.jpg[/img]

I also had a couple of German army utensils kits to shovel food into my mouth:
bundutensilset.jpg

And that's what I used for nearly two years. Day in and day out. The Soviet stove was rock reliable, and never gave me a single problem. It was efficient as I would go through maybe 2 cups of gasoline every week, and was as quiet as a propane stove once I had the silencer on. It was ultimately alot cheaper to run then a propane stove.

I use the propane cook top in my Ford RV nowadays. Its convenient, and easy to use. Oh yeah I also upgraded to MSR pots and ACTUAL dishes/bowls.

I was looking at our old BBQ the other day and the side burner that we've never used could be removed and mounted on a counter or have legs added to be a nice single burner. It has it's own knob, push button ignition and is hooked up to a regulator for a 20 lb tank. It could be adapted to a smaller tank if needed.

The reason I mention it is because I see BBQ's with side burners on the curb and on the free section of CL all the time. Often the side burner is barely used brcause like with us, it was a hassle to carry the extra food and pot out to stand there in the heat, wind, bugs and dust.

I own several stove,  I have a butterfly one for backpacking, propane and white fuel or Naphtha.   In my conversion I will be using a 2 burner propane  hooked to 20lbs Propane bottle.   If you ask e for a favorite stove I will said I like Naphtha or white fuel stove.  I own a an older two burner dual fuel stove that is 30 yrs old and I have used it extensively. I also own one burner sporter and those two are my favorite.   I can cook two meal per day for a whole month with less than 1 gallon of white fuel.

Attachments

• coleman_duel_fuel_sportster_ii_stove.jpg
    coleman_duel_fuel_sportster_ii_stove.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 11949553_10204715502272670_8934052875180483085_n.jpg
    11949553_10204715502272670_8934052875180483085_n.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 11951223_10204719358689078_1143981513701978075_n.jpg
    11951223_10204719358689078_1143981513701978075_n.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 318211_3185238035093_2146012346_n.jpg
    318211_3185238035093_2146012346_n.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 252299_3185092231448_1849108031_n.jpg
    252299_3185092231448_1849108031_n.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 22
steamjam1 said:
I've bought and tried just about every style of stove and mess kit possible in the last three years while living in my van. 

When I was still living in the SWB Dodge van I ended up using one of two mess kit/stoves:

The first one is the Swedish mess kit.
[img=241x124]http://kitup.military.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/12/05/swedish_mess_kit.jpg[/img]

I didn't think much of the alcohol stove, as it was tough to control/simmer, so I went and bought a Soviet era "clone" 8R stove.
[img=221x165]http://classiccampstoves.com/attachments/1310516652-russian8rclone-01-jpg.65195/[/img]
I've run it mostly on regular pump gasoline, but I've run it on Coleman fuel as well. I installed a silent cap:
[img=135x135]https://somecampingstoves.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/quietstoveforomnifuelandx2.jpg[/img]
I also had a 6" cast iron pan that I used once in a while to make breakfast with that Clone stove, and a Helikon mess kit.
[img=229x229]http://www.militarymart.co.uk/media...b8d27136e95/h/e/helikon_mess_tins_1.jpg[/img]

I also had a couple of German army utensils kits to shovel food into my mouth:
bundutensilset.jpg

And that's what I used for nearly two years. Day in and day out. The Soviet stove was rock reliable, and never gave me a single problem. It was efficient as I would go through maybe 2 cups of gasoline every week, and was as quiet as a propane stove once I had the silencer on. It was ultimately alot cheaper to run then a propane stove.

I use the propane cook top in my Ford RV nowadays. Its convenient, and easy to use. Oh yeah I also upgraded to MSR pots and ACTUAL dishes/bowls.
 I like that stove a lot, where you got it from?

HardcoreLurker12, and if you're planning on beans and rice...DEFINITELY get yourself a pressure cooker (pre-soaked beans cook in only 7 minutes)

arctic cat said:
 I like that stove a lot, where you got it from?

Its an old Soviet Union era "Clone-R" stove that was built from the '60's all the way through the '90s. I got it from a local used camp/sports equipment shop for $50 bux. Its rock reliable, easy to maintain (Floor mop string, and three O-rings that I got from the hardware store for $0.70.) I run it on regular unleaded gasoline, but will also work on Coleman fuel. I see them all the time on Ebay for $50-100 dollars. I used mine for the first two years in my van day in and day out. Not once did it fail to start up. In fact I have abandoned usage of all of my white fuel stoves in favor of soviet gasoline stoves.

I really love the old soviet union built camp stoves. They are built like TANKS, and the three I own will outlive me by many many years.

124zvwp.jpg

On the left is the Clone 8R. On the right is the Hornet-2. I really don't use the Clone 8R anymore because my RV has a propane stove in it, but I still use the Hornet just about everyday making hot water to keep myself clean/wash dishes. It can bring a gallon of water to bath water hot in about 8 minutes from 40-50 degrees. Both run on regular unleaded.

akrvbob said:
Coleman makes a flat single burner that I highly recommend. See it here:
http://amzn.to/1LwXfQP

Bob

I've used the stove Bob recommended daily for well over a year. I refilled the 1lb tanks for about 3 months and then bought an adapter hose to connect a 20lb tank. A lot less fuss and filling. Be aware if you plan on refilling the 1 lb canisters that each refill will have different amounts of LP. Good solid refills are great but on a regular basis you'll get a refill that is light, which means it will last 1/2 to 1/3 the run time. I had 5 canisters and would fill 4 at a time so all the tanks were treated equal. Go figure.

Previously I had used the same canisters on my Little Buddy heater, after many refills the threads on the canisters get a bit worn and can be a challenge to connect to the refill adapter. 

The Coleman stove is a great stove quickly boiling coffee water in the morning and simmers sauces.

We have the usual Attwood 3 burner stove/oven in our travel trailer, but I like to cook outside. I have used two burner coleman stoves, but the BTU output is pretty low, and they blow out easily in the wind. I then put a three burner stove from an old tent trailer in a pullout kitchen, and it was worse. I finally gave in:

0730_12213_0062_000_regular_02.jpg

No substitute for BTU's. :p

Zonie I have that same stove. if you have the room it beats the hell out of Coleman stoves. I have the BBQ that fits the stove and a griddle too. it's a very versatile unit. highdesertranger

ZoNiE said:
We have the usual Attwood 3 burner stove/oven in our travel trailer, but I like to cook outside. I have used two burner coleman stoves, but the BTU output is pretty low, and they blow out easily in the wind. I then put a three burner stove from an old tent trailer in a pullout kitchen, and it was worse. I finally gave in:

0730_12213_0062_000_regular_02.jpg

No substitute for BTU's.  :p
I've wanted to add one of these to my camping set ups for years because I was never satisfied with the lower BTU's of the smaller stoves, but always thought it might be overkill.  Seeing you and HDR having them is making me think it's time.

they make accessories for them too. like I said I have the two burner griddle, and a one burner BBQ. they make a one burner griddle and a two burner BBQ. they also make a pizza oven and side shelves. highdesertranger

I'm also a fan of the big powerful Camp Chef stoves. That two burner was my first, followed up with the big three burner, then the griddle, and also the the 2 burner size BBQ 'Grill Box'.....

BUT....these things are heavy as hell and not exactly 'Dweller' sized. Sure can feed a crowd, though. :cool:

I have a MSR Windburner for boiling water. The isobutane is expensive and inconvenient, but hands down the only stove I'm carrying in a pack. Can't set a normal pan on top of it though, blocks the air intake. Last weekend I was on the banks of the Copper River, wind blowing faster than the water was flowing, and I boiled a half liter of water in a couple of minutes while holding it in my hands.  Few minutes later, pulled out the tea bags, and was enjoying a hot cup of tea. Cant beat that.

Would not use it for everyday cooking though.  I have a two burner white gas coleman that is about to get repaired/chucked, it needs a new generator, but the thing takes up to much space. And I'm using to many kinds of fuel. And i have never liked the coleman 2 burner stoves. It probably goes back to childhood, where I would see the stove being used with cast iron pans in places we had to drag all of our gear with us on 4wheelers, pvc boats, or one time on a bmw chassis that was converted into a horse cart. Some horse drug a coleman stove and cast iron pots and pans on a bmw chassis so we could go up in the mountains and not find any moose. And we had to have the cast iron because it was hunting camp.

Also have a webber Q1000.  It takes up waaaaay to much space. And it doesn't have any indirect heat. But it feels so good to be able to cook up some hot dogs or chicken on the grill for friends and strangers. The thing is cast iron though, but my chassis is a one ton, and I have horsepowers.

I was looking at the MSR liquid fuel stoves, but this Soviet 8r clone on ebay looks more interesting.

Hank

I am also a fan of the pressure cooker. Some things that would take all night in a slow cooker can be done in an hour with a pressure cooker, (tenderize tough cuts of meat). Once the pressure builds and steam comes out, you can turn the stove way down, or even take it off and wrap it in an insulator like an old blanket, (one that won't melt at 250 degrees). It will continue to cook just from the residual heat.

HardcoreLurker1 2 said:
I actually bought a yeti 400 so I have electricity to cook with. Would you recommend something like an instant pot? I really just want to make rice, bean and chicken.

I have used my instant pot while driving so the van can support my electrical system, but recently bought a stove top pressure cooker off craigslist for $20.  I can cook a pot of soaked garbanzo beans in 15 minutes on my propane camp stove.  This is faster than the instant pot.

The pressure cooker I got is tiny (less than 2 quarts).  My thinking was it wouldn't take much space.  I'm thinking about looking for a bigger one so I can cook rice and beans at the same time (I do this in my instant pot by resting a little pot on a rack and cooking the rice in the little pot and the beans under the pot).  Also, it just barely cooks enough for the three of us.

51a%2BdTY3UQL._SX425_.jpg

Anyway, the pressure cooker is very efficient with the propane stove.  I recommend one.  (not necessarily this one, though)

Can Cooker Jr.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 14
That is the cutest pressure cooker. Ours was a two pot, one lid set. The smaller pot is better for smaller meals.

I was fascinated by the alcohol stove since they can be made by hand pretty easy. I do know if alcohol is spilled it is very hard to put out. One of the larger fires here in 2012 was started by a briefly unattended alcohol stove that tipped in the wind.

When it comes to BTU's, the burner design has a lot to do with it. Our trailers stove burners have a single row of orifice like our old white gas Coleman converted to propane. My Gaz butane back packing stove and a newer two burner table top unit have burners that are somewhat cone shaped and have many more holes than the other two. Both burn much hotter than the first two. I would imagine they use more gas too.