what bike? (motorbike)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My KLR loaded for a trip.
IMG_20170628_113617918_HDR copy.jpg

And camp set up.
IMG_20170628_185303974_HDR copy.jpg
IMG_20170628_185231316_HDR copy.jpg

My dream all around travel bike was never sold here in the states. That would be the original Yamaha 660 Super Tenere. My son heads to Australia next week - I asked him to find me one I could import. But I'll still keep my KLR, it's been a very good and reliable bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20170628_113617918_HDR copy.jpg
    IMG_20170628_113617918_HDR copy.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20170628_185303974_HDR copy.jpg
    IMG_20170628_185303974_HDR copy.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20170628_185231316_HDR copy.jpg
    IMG_20170628_185231316_HDR copy.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 8
Spitfire Riggz said:
Bringing this thread back instead of starting a new one. What's everyone riding right now and why? (Motorcycles)

I have a cruiser vtx1300 but also love sportbikes. In the dream world I'd have a sport bike a cruiser and a dirt bike but that is not the minimalist way I'm trying to embrace!

I figure a dual sport is the absolute best bike for nomads. I think I'll end up trying to get a Suzuki DR650.

Guess I'm a minimalist. I've got a 1968 Trail 90 with a 140 engine that I often haul on a bumper rack. Only weighs 170 lbs. Mostly I ride a Lifan 200cc dual sport (Chinese) that I bought new 10 years ago for $1300. Still going strong at nearly 60,000 miles. Sold my last big bike years ago.

Lots of really nice motorcycles !

These look like plenty of fun for me... 6 minute desert video

wheels

First moto I ever rode, a rented Ruckus. First bike I ever bought, Lifan 150 full size dual sport. $800 delivered to my door in 2007. Both a blast and started me on my moto adventures. That, and the first time that I saw Long Way Round.

The Lifan motors seem to hold up really well, and cheap to fix if they give up...
I've got an assortment here in various states of disrepair I need to sell off pretty quickly.
I like my Helix which runs very well, but rough roads would eat it up.
I plan to run my kymco people 250 because it has the big wheels.
The Vespa 150s has fuel pump probs and my CT90 just won't start.
Buncha others! wheels might be a good handle for the likes of me !

Agree with many into the Yamaha Trailways 200 [TW200]. Yet: disagree as well!

Placed my money where my mouth now is...chose & purchased a Honda NX-250, circa 1989...low miles, still with me...hope it makes it to Quartzite!

Honda's very first "Adventure Bike". like later TW200's they offer both kick & electric start.
I absolutely love that "E Button" and as I pack on more years of seniority won't go without electric start!!

They [Honda] broke into the then undefined adventure market trying to capitalize on a niche then- undefined.
They hawked both aNX 250 version & an NX 650 model...too heavy as some in the thread state the Why the TW-200 is primo.
Agreed, bigger cc's can be over my own paygrade/given advancing age.

THE DIFF 

TW200's are slightly more low-slung than NX's and that should matter to men & women under a certain height...tryem.

The TW200 is lower slung and near impossible to "dump", NX= almost same...favor to TW.

TW200's are, well, 200 cc...and power does matter, especially out-West where air temps can render the output horsepower decisively lower at mid-day temperatures.
Throw on altitude causation of robbing power....a sea level motor might be 200HP, but Flagstaff is quite another story, as Density Altitude  causes severe declines in power....can one accelerate and join traffic or avoid a threat; can one hold interstate speed IF necessary?

TW200 is not rated for Interstate Speed. It wont keep up, period.

The NX-250 is with one more gear....HUGE....plus 25% more CC's [200 vs 250].

Further, the NX has legality for two-up riding and: CAN keep up with traffic given more HP & another gear!

They are no longer sold, so I'm not playing huckster.

Caveat Emptor

Duke 

{have owned and operated a number of bikes}

College of Southern Nevada (Las Vegas) runs MSF classes. Great program.

http://sites.csn.edu/workforce/motorcycle.html

I was in a class of four. A Ducati, that was a incredible blend of form and function, a Honda 600 sportbike, a Harley Softtail, and my Suzuki DS200. The instructor knew each bike and gave individualized instruction for each.

Take the class and pass, you do not have to take a driving test in NV.

I haul around a 1986 KLR 250. It gets me to town at 65-70, and is fun on the trails. At about 270 lbs, it is easy to load on my hitch mounted carrier.

Sailing VANessa said:
I haul around a 1986 KLR 250. It gets me to town at 65-70, and is fun on the trails. At about 270 lbs, it is easy to load on my hitch mounted carrier.

I have a 1987 KLR 250! Great bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kawasaki has a KLX250 for 2018.

I would have bought a KLR250 instead of the Suzuki DR200 had the KLR been available new in 2015.

Suzuki has the VanVan. It's 200cc fuel injected. weighs roughly 282 pounds. 

I sat on one for the first time the other day and was surprised how comfy it was to me as a big guy. 

Big fat tires that would be good on sand and moderately off-road riding. 

My class C only has a Class I hitch though, so I couldn't put it on a hitch mounted carrier. When I get a chance, I'm going to look into whether the rig could be upgraded to handle a class III hitch.

That Suzuki has a small gas tank. Maybe not a problem for most.

This is THE bike, only $11k new.
 Bargains can be had used for less than $10k. Lol.
A little adventure eye candy.

KTM 500 EXC moto travel video from Austria to Egypt FYI.
Well done video by a pro, right mate?
Riding wheelies in front of the Pyramids, how cool is that?

I own quite a few. I will agree with prior post. My Husky FE501/KTM 500 is the best bike I have ever had.

A Honda Grom, Kawasaki Z125, or Kymco Spade seems like perfect small bikes to accompany life on the road. Easy to store, easy to transport, great MPG, and a whole lot of fun. No, you don’t want to take any long trips on one, but that’s what the primary vehicle is for. Think of it like an escape pod, figuratively and literally.

It's a TW200 for me. I'm trying to figure a way to make it my surf fishing ride.