what bike? (motorbike)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1513056129947.jpg

This Suzuki S40 Boulevards is I think the perfect back-up vehicle. I tow mine on a 4x8 trailer behind my 1993 Dutchman MH. I get 55-60 mpg and it can comfortably carry two up at highway speeds. With bags and a luggage rack it can easily carry the groceries home.  The wet weight is under 400 lbs. Jeff

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1513056129947.jpg
    FB_IMG_1513056129947.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 23
Check out a madass 125. Yes, that's it's name. It's about 200 lbs and gets about 70 mpg.

I got one of these, 500 bucks Honda clone Coleman, never done this just been walking to town or getting a ride or taking a bike. Not sure how local Az. leo will respond.

Attachments

• IMG_5545.jpg
    IMG_5545.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 10
When I retire in the next year or so I plan on taking my dual sport (DR650) with me but I want to be able to explore dirt roads and trails. I also have a 250 Aprilia scooter that would make a great bike to take along. It can handle dirt roads fine with its 16" wheels but more importantly it can cruise on highways easily in the mid 70s with no problem. I'd seriously consider a scooter for a run around bike. Cheap to buy used and cheap to maintain if you get a reliable brand and just a blast to ride. Plenty of storage on most as well for getting supplies.

Call me Lazarus for bring this back.

I have a TW-200 and really like it for off road and on road capability. But I have seen quite a few people riding Groms (Honda 125 mini bullet type bike) lately. I even bumped in to a fellow camper with one on the back of his van in Death Valley. He was bumping along and I amuse hitting bottom on some very rough river rock covered trails but seemed to be having a blast. The grom is very light weigh about 230lb gets crazy gas millage pushing 100mpg and still can get up to 55 on the highway fairly easily.  I also saw a guy riding a grom at the 2019 RTR so perhaps anyone toting a grom along can give a report on how they are working out?

I really wouldn't say that the groom would make anything but a very poor off highway vehicle.

cons
street tires
fenders that sit right on the tires and are super small
there is nothing protecting the front of the engine from stuff that gets thrown up from the front tire.
I want to see one with the plastic off so I can see the frame the way it looks now does not instill confidence.
and that exhaust is the biggest draw back right there I would have that exhaust tore off the first day. you should see the skid plates on my bikes.

so for a street bike maybe but in the dirt, good luck. highdesertranger