What to do?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have been trying to decide on this stupid idea, any suggestions? Since this involves a van I guess this is as good a place as any to post here:

I'm 68, I have to move out soon, I have a good 95 f150 4x4 with shell and rack, it's ready to be lived in and partially built, I also have a 88 GMC high top van that is still mostly gutted inside but runs good, and I have a 74 Honda ct90 trail bike. I'm living on below poverty level SS retirement only, very little saved. I am debating what to sell and what to keep? I want to sell the bike and one of the vehicles so I'll have more in my emergency fund and maybe improvements.

But I want to keep all three for obvious practical reasons. Is it crazy that I am thinking I could drive a few miles and set up a camp in the van, ride back on the ct90 and get my truck, drive a few miles to the new camp, stay a while then repeat. This way I would have a back up vehicle in case one of them breaks down. Or maybe use the van as backup and storage for a while until I get situated somewhere else. I know it sounds crazy but I am seriously thinking it might be a good solution to alleviate my worries of breaking down on the road with little money. I know this would really suck for traveling long distances, but for hunkering down in an area wouldn't be so bad maybe? I know the insurance and registrations would cost me more, but would it be worth it for the peace of mind? 'Probably not' is what I'm thinking, but haven't really decided what to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 23
You are not the only one to ponder that chain movement scenario.

Any way to get it down to one vehicle and keep the CT90?

I'd sell the truck.....and then go from there. That's just me but you asked.

The logistics of keeping, maintaining, and periodically moving two vehicles would be untenable. Dump the van (by far the more likely of the two vehicles to die on you) and trick out the truck. Keep the bike, though, so you can use it to make grocery runs or whatever without having to break camp. There are lots of ways you can mount it on the back of your truck.

The good news is, this is the hottest market that has ever existed for older vans. You've seen it, all the disaffected millenials dreaming about chucking it all overboard and living the "vanlife," relentlessly posting selfies on Instagram. So leverage the fact that your van runs (for the moment) and is "ready for your custom build!!!!" (really sell that), and sell it for about twice what it's worth, and use that money as your emergency/pickup upgrade fund.

I would keep the bike as fuel savings and emergency transportation if it is reliable. The van has more space but the truck will go more places, it just depends on your individual needs. The van will most likely get you the most money if sold. The truck will take the least to finish. The van has easier access. Just depends on you, where and how you like to camp.

I can see the appeal of your original idea, but I'm going to add another vote for simplifying -- to the bike + one of the other vehicles, or even letting the bike go too if necessary.

The more vehicles you own, the more things can go wrong and the more expenses can mount up. And the more things (of any description) you own, the harder it is to be mobile -- too many balls to keep in the air if God forbid you get engine trouble or get sick.

Have you added up what insurance, registration, and estimated maintenance would cost you for all three? Sometimes having a concrete figure can be helpful in decision-making.

With a challenging budget, plus the whole world going crazy in 100 different ways, I'd say keep it as lean and agile as you can. Keep your "backup" in the form of cash rather than a second vehicle; you'll have more room to maneuver.

I would sell the truck and the bike, and keep the van that you can live in with some comfort and unnoticed. I would get a moped for nearby transport that needs no registration.

I would sell the van to someone wanting a classic and in this favorable market you might get top dollar...and then use that money to buy a smallish enclosed cargo trailer (5x8 or 6x10) stuff it with camping goodies, or build it out, but leave room for the little trail bike.

Simplify, simplify. 

Inch-worming three vehicles for the rest of your days is gonna be a HUGE ball-n-chain.

I sold my van because I'm too old to crawl around in it anymore.

I bought a 6x12 cargo trailer and am really happy with it.

Put the bike in the back of the truck and tow the truck with the van...  Check with insurance about minimal insurance on a towed truck and check with your state to see if you must register a towed vehicle.  My personal preference is to live in a van rather than a camper shell.  A truck camper could be a good alternative and sell the van, tow the bike or get a carrier for it, but keep the bike for cheap travl to store, etc.

I actually setup a tow bar and drove from WA state to FL towing my backup rig (it was a geo tracker) however it had a full set of mechanics tools, a welder and two pontoon boats in it. The vehicle was light, but not the payload.

I would suggest a can build that can incorporate storing the 90 inside, or purchasing a bike rack, or basket to plug in the receiver in the back.

This way you have your backup vehicle, and a hard roof to stay under with a little more storage room.

However selling both the van, might net you a cargo trailer which in my opinion would be the best of both worlds. A place for necessities and your 90

Speaking for myself, I’d keep the scoot and the pickup. Ditch the van, then purchase and convert a cargo trailer.

Latest posts