what bike? (motorbike)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try to always use non-alcohol gas when possible, you will have less problems. And your mileage will be better. Not that 73 mpg is a problem with gas. But it can sit a lot longer with the non-alcohol gas if need be.

Enjoy...

Lostinspace said:
Try to always use non-alcohol gas when possible, you will have less problems. And your mileage will be better. Not that 73 mpg is a problem with gas. But it can sit a lot longer with the non-alcohol gas if need be.

Enjoy...

Non Alcohol-corrupted gas is hard to find in some AOs.  I always use Seafoam in my bike, and it keeps the fuel system and carb clean.
On the Dual Sport bike forums, most members, including myself, report a five MPG loss on the average using alcohol-corrupted gas in our KLR650 bikes.   I went from 53MPG to 48MPG. 

I always use Lucas fuel treatment in my KLR it not only keeps things clean, but has helped my mileage also. I regularly get 52 - 55 mpg mixed in town and highway running 75 mph on the hwy. If I keep it around 60 on the highway I can squeak out 60 mpg. It only takes a few once per fill up so it's a whole lot cheaper than race gas - the only non alcohol gas I can find in my area. Especially since the bike runs fine on regular.

I'm one of the few KLR riders that has seen worse gas mileage using E-free fuel. No doubt it's easier on the rubber and brass fuel system parts but the extra price of riding 500 miles on E-free is about the same as the rubber carb parts.
Yes my bike is running rich resulting in worse MPG and less power with E-free fuel, if it was jetted for high altitude I'm sure it would be getting better MPG on E-free than normal ethanol pump gas.

Bringing this thread back instead of starting a new one. What's everyone riding right now and why? (Motorcycles)

I have a cruiser vtx1300 but also love sportbikes. In the dream world I'd have a sport bike a cruiser and a dirt bike but that is not the minimalist way I'm trying to embrace!

I figure a dual sport is the absolute best bike for nomads. I think I'll end up trying to get a Suzuki DR650.

DR650 and KLR650 are good choices. Plenty of aftermarket and repair parts available. I don't think Suzuki has changed the DR since they first made them. Parts are interchangeable for any year model :)

I currently have a BMWf650cs. Great bike. Rotax thumper with 62mpg no matter how I ride it. It's a challenge on gravel and dirt(no dirt tire options available) and luggage options are limited, but she's my baby and I love her.

ec9ff136b9cdc69d975cfa9e49ac254f.jpg

Chitza said:
DR650 and KLR650 are good choices. Plenty of aftermarket and repair parts available. I don't think Suzuki has changed the DR since they first made them. Parts are interchangeable for any year model :)

I currently have a BMWf650cs. Great bike. Rotax thumper with 62mpg no matter how I ride it. It's a challenge on gravel and dirt(no dirt tire options available) and luggage options are limited, but she's my baby and I love her.

Niiice! I had a ninja 650 at one time that i was carving the Rocky Mountains with, at one point me and my friends ran out of asphalt and had to ride some dirt/gravel roads! We were all on sport bikes it was pretty scary! Props to you on that I know experienced riders that can take any bike off road but that was my first time. I didn't do very well  :shy:

That pic was taken on Top of the World Hwy from Dawson City, YT, to Chicken, AK. I rode from Alabama to get there. All total about 500 miles on dirt/gravel. Lived out of 48liters of storage in my luggage, tent and all. Which makes car or van dwelling seem very spacious :)

BMWs are good for the long way round. And down. :).
Just ask Ewan. Well, when KTM won't supply the bikes for free. Lol.
After touring on a moto, anything is good, agree with Chitza. The new Versys 300x looks like a pretty  sweet bike and more power than the 250s. Versys 650 awesome as well but a little heavy.
Here's what I toured on a few years ago for 6 months. Anything with a running motor will do. Any sharp eyes recognize this?
IMG_20140810_121550.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140810_121550.jpg
    IMG_20140810_121550.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 22
Minivanmotoman said:
Here's what I toured on a few years ago for 6 months. Anything with a running motor will do. Any sharp eyes recognize this?

Is that the ER-6N? Same motor as the Versys I think. It's been on my short list of possible bikes. But I'm a Vtwin kinda gal. I had a Vstrom 650 that I absolutely LOVED. Great touring as well. I could ride it like a sport bike but when I wanted to travel, it was a mule!

The ER-6n is closer to the Ninja 650 I think this one is ER-5. The previous gen? Maybe a naked ninja 500?? lol

Winna winna!! Chikn dinna!! SR knows his stuff and can read the ER5 badge. Lol. Euro version only, Kawi 500 UJM. Small, cheap, light, good on gas, reliable, peppy enough, perfect for touring Europe. Determine your needs, find suitable model.
FYI, look up Motofierme to get your travel fantasies boosted. Or ADVrider.com. or HUBB to somewhat slake yer thirst for travel.

Lol yeah I only know that because as mentioned I had the ER-6 basically, just regional names. I noticed I have been on adventure rider forum a lot recently trying to figure out the bike that is best.

Basically there is no perfect 50/50 street and off ride bike every model leans one way or the other. The heavier bigger engine motors better for street touring are too heavy in the really crazy off-road stuff and the nimble, light off roaders don't have enough juice for the highway.

Needs vs wants. Are you REALLY going to be doing gnarly or road? Like most adv tourers only get some or little dirt, never mind gnarly. Why I went street, can do dirt easy with 50/50 tires. No, not at motocross speeds of course, but slow down, enjoy the ride. Up Hagerman pass with a street bike. Only 4*4 make it up there. Supposedly. Lol.

Attachments

• uphagermanpass.jpg
    uphagermanpass.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 16
I promised my then alive mother I would never ride a MOTO while she was alive, just bought a 1983 Suzuki RD100 never rode a motorcycle I am 69 starts first kick. Her brother died in a motorcycle accident in 1949 in Holland. I will take it slow but at only 148 pounds I can handle the lift

wagoneer said:
I promised my then alive mother I would never ride a MOTO while she was alive, just bought a 1983 Suzuki RD100 never rode a motorcycle I am 69 starts first kick. Her brother died in a motorcycle accident in 1949 in Holland. I will take it slow but at only 148 pounds I can handle the lift

Safety is an important thing for motorcycles which I consider an extreme sport.
Trust of the wrist by Keith Code. On YouTube.
Proficient motorcycling by David Hough on Amazon.
Be aware, ride smart, ride safe, ride for a looong time.

Minivanmotoman said:
Safety is an important thing for motorcycles which I consider an extreme sport.
Trust of the wrist by Keith Code. On YouTube.
Proficient motorcycling by David Hough on Amazon.
Be aware, ride smart, ride safe, ride for a looong time.

Twist of the wrist BTW...

What do you mean it can't be done with a street bike and on street tires? Scout on foot for best path, remove softball sized rocks on path, pray, sweat, give it the beans, and go for it. See, no problem. Gnarly is doable, just not at speed.

IMG_20170829_121057-640x480.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170829_121057-640x480.jpg
    IMG_20170829_121057-640x480.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 11
wagoneer said:

I took Motorcycle safety foundation classes. Loved it and recommend them to everyone. I even took it again after I went some years between riding bikes

Minivanmotoman said:
What do you mean it can't be done with a street bike and on street tires? Scout on foot for best path, remove softball sized rocks on path, pray, sweat, give it the beans, and go for it. See, no problem. Gnarly is doable, just not at speed.

Like I said there's the guys that are so good they can take any bike anywhere!! Lol skilllls