what bike? (motorbike)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be a prude. I won't mess up the "lines" of my Shadow by strapping on a load of anything like that. I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to carry two folding chairs on it without looking stupid. The kinds that fold up into a pouch about three feet long. Anybody got pictures of such a calamity not looking un-cool, please help me out and post them.

Terry said:
I must be a prude. I won't mess up the "lines" of my Shadow by strapping on a load of anything like that. I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to carry two folding chairs on it without looking stupid.  The kinds that fold up into a pouch about three feet long. Anybody got pictures of such a calamity not looking un-cool, please help me out and post them.

If you can't figure out how to carry the 3' long bundles of chairs you might want to invest in a pair of these instead:

http://travelchair.com/products/joey-chair-model-7801

2 lbs. in their travel case which is about 10" long.

No problems looking cool with these guys.

I use mine for interior canoe/backpacking trips.

this is what I was talking about.  I can haul 30 gallons of water on my quad no problem, I do it all the time.  besides my dog always rides with me I even made a special box for him to ride in.  once the quad starts he's on it,  can't keep him off,  and leaving him is not an option.  here's a couple of pics.
135.JPG
126.JPG
and here's the same box I made for my sister and her two dogs.
R1-08309-020A.jpg
highdesertranger

Attachments

• 135.JPG
    135.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • R1-08309-020A.jpg
    R1-08309-020A.jpg
    932.9 KB · Views: 19
I have Rotopax, and they are expensive. But they are extremely tough and mount on and off quickly. I have Wolfman racks on the side, but they are unfortunately no longer made. On those I carry a gallon of gas on each side, and if I need extra storage I can hang a set of Wolfman Expedition Panniers over top of them. On the rear rack I mounted a Pelican box to lock up my tools and spares. To the top of that box I mounted another Rotopax mount and carry a 1 gallon water container. Between this and a couple Nalgene bottles in my bag, and a 2 liter bladder in my pack, I can hit the desert for at least a couple days off the grid.

this guy did a nice job building his own rack.

i wonder if you could make one without welding? just a pipe bender, some flat steel plates, a drill and some blots. (maybe i'll play with my 3D cad software and design one today, i'm hot and bored)

I've got a 82 honda 185 dual sport and love the shit out of it. It's light and great on gas. Perfect for the rear of your trailer. The TW200 are incredible and super fun to ride. I'm a Motorcyle mechanic and ride tons of different bikes and the TW is in the top 3 of the most fun to ride. They make Sooo many cool aftermarket parts for them these days. Do a google search for photos of custom TWs.

Terry said:
I must be a prude. I won't mess up the "lines" of my Shadow by strapping on a load of anything like that. I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to carry two folding chairs on it without looking stupid.  The kinds that fold up into a pouch about three feet long. Anybody got pictures of such a calamity not looking un-cool, please help me out and post them.

Pfffffffffffft!!!!

I guess you and I won't be riding much together, now will we?? :D

I couldn't give a flying flick about if I 'look' cool or not. To me, it's all about the ride baby!!! :cool:

P1020420.JPG

Attachments

• P1020420.JPG
    P1020420.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 20
Yea, the ride is the most important thing. And I don't have to have everything look cool. Just can't have them looking un-cool. I don't know how to explain myself correctly. I can't think of anyway way that carrying one of these chairs would look cool but there is a space between looking cool and looking totally un-cool. My little Rebel wasn't cool at all but it wasn't really un-cool. And it did keep me riding. Maybe you can figure out what I mean by these explanations. Probably not.
And, if your in my area, I'll be glad to ride with you, as long as you promise no bar fights.
Now as far as those chairs that fold down to about 10 inches, they would be great, at 1/2 the price. I could probably fit those in the saddle bags. If not, they would be able to strap to the sissy bar without being un-cool.

Terry said:
  Now as far as those chairs that fold down to about 10 inches, they would be great, at 1/2 the price. I could probably fit those in the saddle bags. If not, they would be able to strap to the sissy bar without being un-cool.

Those ARE the least expensive ones... :)

Technology doesn't come cheap...designing a chair that's comfortable, weighs in at 2 lbs AND packs into a bag the size of a shoe bag has a price.

Terry said:
I don't have to have everything look cool. Just can't have them looking un-cool.

Huh???

Clear as mud!! :p

Terry said:
I'll be glad to ride with you, as long as you promise no bar fights.

Hmmmmm....can't remember the last time I got into a fight at a Dairy-Queen!! (I NEVER drink & ride.......EVER!) :cool:

1zd66w3.jpg
My 2005 KLR650 packed for a road trip from Florida up into northern Georgia.
Sometimes the two leather side bags are replaced by steel ammo cans - better security as they can be locked.  Tank panniers contain canteens, canteen cup & stove (all GI issue), and other cooking gear and small essentials.  Upper tank bag holds digital camera, wallet, maps, etc. while traveling.  Two small 'cheek pouches' on fairing are Personal First Aid kit and Personal Survival Kit.  GPS mounts on handlebar.  On the extended homebuilt rear cargo rack is my folding camp chair, GI foam sleep pad, three man tent and clothing/gear bag.  Extra GI wool blanket strapped atop left side bag.  Temps were typical summer this trip, so no big sleeping bag. My tail light is non-stock, to allow mounting the tag up n the rear fender. Some in stock location get ripped off by knobby tires.
Three of us this trip had KLRs, my First Gen and two Second Gens, three other guys riding scooters from 250cc to 650cc.  Of course we avoided the Interstates.  The bigger scooters are fully highway worthy.  Not like the typical 49cc minis.

my daughter is going bike shopping for me tomorrow
there are 3 bikes here i like
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/mca?autoMakeModel=xt225
the 2, 2006 and the 2007 all of which look nice

i told her $2500 max for the 2007 and $2000 for the 2006 with 11000 miles.

any thoughts on these bikes? anything she should be on the look out for? she's going with a friend who apparently knows a lot about bike mechanics.

i want to have a bike waiting for me when i arrive in SF so i can go van shopping by bike, then if i see one, the bike goes in the back and i drive the van home.

steveh2112 said:
my daughter is going bike shopping for me tomorrow

i told her $2500 max for the 2007 and $2000 for the 2006 with 11000 miles.

any thoughts on these bikes?

One has 1800 miles, that sounds a lot better than 11,000 miles. I'd be checking that one out. The 2002 has a handful of extras as well that might sweeten the pot. For comparison a new one (XT250) with fuel injection is running around $4500.

They sure are a lot of fun too!
Good Luck
Greg

My XT-225 currently has 11,000+ miles and is completely reliable. But then I take very good care of it. I change the oil every 1000 miles. But it only takes a quart plus a smidgen so not a big deal. I check valve clearance every 3000 miles but only set clearance once in it's life. And it wasn't bad then.

Easy bike to work on. But of course the low mileage bike would be even better.

Good luck on your hunt. Drop me word if you need any help.

vtwinkicker said:
One has 1800 miles, that sounds a lot better than 11,000 miles. I'd be checking that one out. The 2002 has a handful of extras as well that might sweeten the pot. For comparison a new one (XT250) with fuel injection is running around $4500.

They sure are a lot of fun too!
Good Luck
Greg

i'm not so sure about that (low mile i mean). i have 45000km in 3 years on my honda pcx i drive every day and it runs like new.

anyhow , i have to trust my kids judgement on this one since i'm not there

One of the reasons I like the aircooled yamaha's like the xt225 is that there are really no common problems other than wear items that are problems on all bikes. I've seen more than a few TWs and TTRs abused for years without so much as an oil change.

Now that I'm done typing that I just thought of one problem, the Mikuni CV carb they use on the 225 can be a pain if it's been sitting for years.

thanks. my daughter says it looks and rides like new. new tries and battery too.

i thought of something about the 2007 bike i saw with 1800 miles. 1800 miles in 8 years, its obviously had long periods of time with no use at all, which is not good for a vehicle. they are best if they are driven at least a bit every month or so, so i think the one i got is the better one anyhow, looks likes its been used consistently since new.