What are must have kitchen supplies/tools for full-time dwelling?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't Dutch Oven thread. That's a great idea for a thread but this one is about general kitchen supplies specific to nomads.
Bob

dang I was just going to talk DO's. one thing I find indispensable is a cutting board. another is aluminum foil both heavy duty and regular. highdesertranger

I took my P38 off my keyring a few months ago after having it (& never using it) for years. It kept poking me in the leg and got annoying.
Nothing like a good quality can opener in the kitchen box. It's not like they take up a lot of room.

flying kurbmaster said:
...one a bit larger not big enough for spaghetti I buy penne or other shapes  instead,

Purists might have a cow, but you can snap spaghetti and fettuccini in half so they fit the pot.

highdesertranger said:
one thing I find indispensable is a cutting board.

Ah, yes, I forgot that on my list. And a sharpening steel for the knife.

Dewave said:
P38 always on the key ring

My old P38 resides in a pocket of my wallet.  I always have the wallet with me.  This P38 is one I got in USAF bootcamp in 1976, and didn't turn in after wetfire at the range We ate C-rats that day out there).  It has accompanied me everyday since.  I use it a lot.  It beats any 'multitool' can opener I have ever tried (a bunch of them), and is quick and efficient.  It's a bit rusty and bent, but as functional now as forty years ago.

Another item I got last year and use a lot:
From The Sportsman's Guide catalog, "US Military Style Chow Set", Item # WX2-172800  
2jag4l3.jpg

The knife is like a large pocket knife, plenty sharp.  Comes in a camo Molle carrier pouch.
The "can opener" is crap though - I can't get it to work.  Fork and Spoon can work detatched or on the handle when reversed from carry position.  I use this gadget at least a few times a week.

Goes great with my old East German Army Issue mess kit (very similar to German WII issue).

MrNoodly said:
Purists might have a cow, but you can snap spaghetti and fettuccini in half so they fit the pot.

Ha, the purists better let themselves be known now or forever hold their peace.

I not only snap spagettini in half, I also eat my pasta dishes with a knife and fork, not twirled around on a spoon. I like to eat my food, not play with it. I also get less sauce on my front ledge that way... :D

Great ideas guys! Thank-a-million.

Looks like I'll be ditching my crockpot! I use it now regularly. I like to make one large easy meal and then eat on it for a few days. Gonna be a lifestyle change for sure. I'll be investing in a DO now too. I have one, but it's huge and we never used it, so we let it get rusty! I think I'll get a small one. I've got s P38 in my backpacking gear.

I've got all these ceramic mugs and nice ceramic bowls that I made when I use to make pottery. Not sure what to do them. Can't imagine them lasting long banging around in the van once I get to moving.

Leervvell  I have you beat I have my p38 that I got from the firing range in1972. still works fine.

I carry a P 38 on my larger key ring yet today.   I met an dated this Girl who had only been out of the Army
for a month or so.  She flipped when she saw it.  When she told me she had been an MP I thought I was going to
flip but was able to keep my composure.

Almost There said:
Ha, the purists better let themselves be known now or forever hold their peace.

I not only snap spagettini in half, I also eat my pasta dishes with a knife and fork, not twirled around on a spoon. I like to eat my food, not play with it. I also get less sauce on my front ledge that way... :D

I break my "sketti" into about two inch lengths before cooking.  I don't like fighting my food either.   :D

Sheena said:
Great ideas guys! Thank-a-million.

Looks like I'll be ditching my crockpot! I use it now regularly. I like to make one large easy meal and then eat on it for a few days.

You can use a Dutch Oven as a crock-pot.. mostly.. heat regulation is much harder... another alternative is thermos cooking (http://theboatgalley.com/thermos-cooking/ ).  Alternatively, since you LOVE your crockpot, keep it.  The only thing is, it requires electricity, so you have to take that into account..... :)

I think you should look carefully with the kinds of things you want to/like to cook and then keep/get the tools you must have for that.  For instance if you like to bake, then a Solar Oven or some other oven type device(say dutch oven) would probably be high on your must have list, but if you never bake, then an oven is likely not very high on your kitchen tools list.

If you eat raw food 90% of the time, then a can opener and a stove are likely not on your list. If you are a smoothie addict, then you will need something to stir your smoothies up with, etc.

Myself, I use 1 pan, 1 pot, a thermos and a dutch oven.

travlinman said:
Leervvell  I have you beat I have my p38 that I got from the firing range in1972. still works fine.

I guess it's a tie, I got my p38 during basic training Sep. 1972 @ Ft Bragg.  Still have it.  I'm still in the planning stage but I will have an "Ove-glove" in my kitchen.

Our camp kitchen must have includes (like many others) ...some sort of crock-pot or thermal-cooker.
In our full time rig we use the 7L Saratoga Jacks TC since we have access to a nice big fridge for left overs. BUT in camp we have to go with a smaller size TC around ~3L as we cook for one meal's worth only since we don't want to bother with leftovers.

~3L TC example

and Saratoga Jacks website link.

We also have four place settings of snow-peak Ti in the galley box.

Cheers,
Thom