What about "unconventional" pets?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RV homesteader said:
Howdy. I have some rather unconventional pets. Has anyone ever RVed with a goat and/or a couple of chickens?

Hello RV homesteader

In the past I have traveled with several goats, chickens, and a sheep.  But I was working at a petting zoo at a Renaissance Festival, so it wasn't exactly the same scenario.  Fast forward to now.

I travel with a Mini-Pig.  Kevin is an Emotional Support Animal that was prescribed by my psychiatrist.   If you'd like to see some of our travels together, you can find us on YouTube.

Kevin is NOT a Service Animal.  Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, only dogs and mini-horses qualify to be Service Animals.  I do not have the same access or protections with an ESA.  We can camp anywhere on US National Forest or BLM land.  Access to National Parks, on the other hand, is severely limited.  He is allowed in designated campgrounds, in parking lots at ranger stations or vista viewpoints, and on any paved paths or trails that are specifically designated for dogs (VERY FEW).  Camping on other public lands is on a case by case basis.  Some are okay, others are restricted.

But it's not as simple as that.  Each state has their own requirements for transporting livestock across their boarders.  At the very least, you will be required to have a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection for each animal within 21 days of travel.  If your trip extends beyond that time period, you will need to get another certificate.  Not all veterinarians are licensed to issue these, so extra effort is involved.  If you stay within the law, it can get very expensive.  However, most states do not have inspection stations at their boarders, so travel without the proper documentation at your own risk and discretion.  Personally, I won't take any chances when travelling with Kevin.  I have worked in Mini-Pig Rescue for several years and know of one person that was pulled over for a traffic violation.  She was questioned about the pig in the crate.  She was fined for not having the proper documentation, and the pig had to spend a few weeks in quarantine before it was allowed to travel to it's new home.

International travel is a nightmare.  I have been working with the USDA/APHIS and CFIA/ACIA for nearly 6 months trying to figure out a way for Kevin and I to travel through Canada to Alaska and back.  After numerous dead ends, we have finally found a loophole that may allow for a special permit.  It can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months, has substantial fees, and there are no guarantees that a permit will be issued at the end of the process.  Basically, I've erased Denali and the Yukon off of my bucket list.

Given the above information, if you still want to consider it, you will need to do some serious evaluation.  I suggest making a list of everything you need to care for your animals on a daily basis.  This can include shelter, food, water, medications, fencing, milking equipment (if applicable) etc.  Then figure out how you can provide all that on the road.  A livestock trailer with a separate tack room might work.  For myself, I have converted a cargo trailer into a small camper.  The entire build has been designed around Kevin's needs and his safety.  All wiring and storage has to be along the top of the trailer out of his reach.  The components of my solar system are in a separate weatherproof box on the tongue of the trailer.  I've had to preserve as much floor space as possible should we get stuck inside due to [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]inclement weather. And I need to carry special equipment for his comfort and safety while camping (fencing, dog run cables, outdoor blankets and dog beds,etc).  And I also need to plan for all the people that want to stop by and meet him.  At an event such as the RTR, that was too overwhelming for the both of us.  We needed to get away from the crowds![/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Can it be done?  Yes!  I personally know or have met other Nomads that travel with a Moluccan Cockatoo, a Sun Conure, and a Turtle.  Although I haven't met him, I do know there is one person in the community that travels with a goat.  He has a converted school bus and I believe at least 1/3 to 1/2 of it is the barnyard.  I know he works the Sugar Beet Harvest as I've seen his rig in several other YouTube Creators who work that seasonal job.  I hope to meet him someday.  I miss my own goats, sheep, and various poultry.

If you have any specific questions that I might address, just let me know.  Traveling with a companion, conventional or not, is very rewarding![/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Kitty and Kevin, aka Mr. Grunty Pants.[/font]

RV homesteader said:
Howdy. I have some rather unconventional pets. Has anyone ever RVed with a goat and/or a couple of chickens? I am losing my home and don't want to give up what makes me, me. 
I love my fresh eggs in the morning and have pet goats. I understand I won't be able to take them all with me. But wonder if a goat would be acceptable as a pet on BLM land if confined or leashed like a dog. People bring their trailers and horses to ride in the desert, perhaps a goat would be okay?
I have raised my goats from birth, and bottle fed them. They are as tame as dogs. I can board my goats, but it won't be the same without at least one with me. They are pets to me like your dogs.
Anyone with info, I would be appreciative.

And here I thought I had an unconventional pet with my Macaw (bird) named Merlin