What about "unconventional" pets?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RV homesteader

Reaction score
Howdy. I have some rather unconventional pets. Has anyone ever RVed with a goat and/or a couple of chickens? I am losing my home and don't want to give up what makes me, me. 
I love my fresh eggs in the morning and have pet goats. I understand I won't be able to take them all with me. But wonder if a goat would be acceptable as a pet on BLM land if confined or leashed like a dog. People bring their trailers and horses to ride in the desert, perhaps a goat would be okay?
I have raised my goats from birth, and bottle fed them. They are as tame as dogs. I can board my goats, but it won't be the same without at least one with me. They are pets to me like your dogs.
Anyone with info, I would be appreciative.

RV homesteader said:
Howdy....

I feel your pain.  I'm looking for an unconventional 'pet' myself
but just don't what to call it.  The name hasn't come to me yet.

But like I once advised a friend: Never name a new pet until you
have a pretty good idea what you've got on your hands.

Sage advice!
:p

I mean... maybe if you have a 40' school bus... and convert 1/3rd of it into your home and 2/3rds of it into your barn... and keep to the west coast where parking big rigs isn't a problem and you can shovel goat shit out the back door. Otherwise I don't really see it working.

I left my unconventional pet at home, come to think of it I left him all together. lol ( he hated the leash)

jimindenver said:
I left my unconventional pet at home, come to think of it I left him all together. lol

LOL
At least you got away without your muzzle.  Next time, try a designer leash.
:p  Charlotte

Now see? When I make jokes like that my posts get deleted...poof...gone...

I have posted several witty and funny things that are right now gathering mold in the deletion bins around here.

Argh....

But oh yeah, goats.

What about a small horse trailer/RV combo? They are made to carry horses but why not a goat or two?

Plenty of room for feed and supplies, and seperate living space for the humans. 

I guess the newer ones ain't cheap, but anything that is 'unconventional' is unlikely to be cheap.

tx2sturgis said:
What about a small horse trailer/RV combo? They are made to carry horses but why not a goat or two?

Plenty of room for feed and supplies, and seperate living space for the humans. 

I guess the newer ones ain't cheap, but anything that is 'unconventional' is unlikely to be cheap.

One time, I was working on a back road, when I heard a vehicle rounding the corner. I looked up in time to see a U-haul truck. Towed behind the U-haul was a flat trailer. On the trailer was a pick up truck. On the pick up truck was a pick up cap, one of those tall ones. Inside the pick up cap there were goats.

I thought, dang, you know those people are moving when they pack up everything and the goats too. Also made me think of that "there's a frog on a log at the bottom of the sea" song.

Anyway, maybe a setup like that would work.

tx2sturgis said:
"Now see? When I make jokes like that my posts get deleted...poof...gone...
I have posted several witty and funny things that are right now gathering mold in the deletion bins..."
Texas, perhaps you need to master the art of the 'term of art'.
Wit. by definition must be subtle.
Does this above reply signal you are speaking to me again? 

Put your PM back.  Surely you are safe now from the copious
'assaults' & battery you suffered on the Elephant thread....

:angel: Charlotte

keep in mind that in most areas you just can't let your pet graze. so that means you must also transport feed, which also means it must be certified weed free. which is kinda pricey. also keep in mind that when crossing into California they are going to want see all your paperwork and health certificates at the Ag check stations. with chickens, even with health certs you might be denied entry or your pets confiscated. highdesertranger

I have met people who ft with a pot bellie pig. There's someone who has goats, I ran across them on face book. My neighbors across the wash have a rental year old turtle. I know someone with a passel of parrots and a ting marmoset named Darwin.

Heed HDR s advice about transporting feed.

Red

I know the feeling.... I used to make my living doing live animal shows for school classes, and I've kept around 100 different species of snake, turtle, lizard, frog, salamander, tarantula, scorpion, spider, centipede, millipede, and various other critters.

When I first started dwelling, I had a colony of Central American Death-Head Cockroaches that I took with me. Alas, it did not work out--while it was no problem keeping them warm enough in the winter, it was a HUGE problem keeping them cool enough in the summer.

highdesertranger said:
"...so that means you must also transport feed,  which also means it must be certified weed free.    also  keep in mind that when crossing into California they are going to want see all your paperwork and health certificates."

Good points, Stranger.  
Especially re transport thru CA.  And keep this in mind:
In CA, it will be tough to find any area weed free.

"Your papers, please."

Charlotte\ said:
Texas, perhaps you need to master the art of the 'term of art'.
Wit. by definition must be subtle.
Does this above reply signal you are speaking to me again? 

Put your PM back.  Surely you are safe now from the copious
'assaults' & battery you suffered on the Elephant thread....

I have not been subtle since I was a tiny swimming tadpole with 23 Y chromosomes.

And not speaking? Huh? News to me...I was replying to Jim's tongue-in-cheek comment.

PM discontinuation was due to to so many wanting detailed personalized help with various systems...I prefer to post technical information publicly so it has a broader audience, and a few other reasons as well. I'm not sure what an elephant thread is...

After receiving so many slaps on the wrist here I have begun to water down my replies and make some attempts to stay on topic...but as you can plainly see, I'm subject to backsliding at any time. 

And to the OP, sorry for the detour....

tx2sturgis said:
"I have not been subtle since I was a tiny swimming tadpole with 23 Y chromosomes.
...but as you can plainly see, I'm subject to backsliding at any time."

Texas,
My intuition tells me the OP is pulling our leg.  One can only hope.
As to your lack of subtlety:  You no doubt have other talents. 
Even if you have to backslide into them.

Did you know goats have cloven hooves?  Keep that in mind when
choosing upholstery material...

;) Charlotte

You could start building a herd and get a grazing allotment! (Best answer for a single goat would be to ask the appropriate agency. It may well vary by district.)

Having owned goats and chickens at one time I sure as heck wouldn't want to try living full time on the road with them. And that's taking all the regulations it might entail in different states out of the equation, just the food, waste, and care required would take a lot of if not all of the simple joys of traveling away.

Charlotte\ said:
Texas,
My intuition tells me the OP is pulling our leg.  One can only hope.

Well could be....

But I went with the assumption that the question is legitimate. 

Here is a combo unit:

https://www.dhmco.com/cato-classic-horse-trailers/living-quarters/3-Horse/9027/

It's mid price and used. 

Sometimes we get questions but no mention of budget, so we have to guess.

Maybe the OP will look at this link and say that's a piece of junk and I would never travel in something like that.

Or maybe they will say that's way too much money and I can not afford that. 

But there are always options. 

Technically speaking, almost any animal can get trained and certified as a service animal, but I'm not sure your typical restaurant or library will allow a 'service goat' inside...of course, I could be wrong.

http://blog.ncpad.org/2010/12/13/6-of-the-most-unusual-service-animals/

tx2sturgis said:
"...Well could be....but I'm not sure your typical restaurant or library will allow a 'service goat' inside...of course, I could be wrong."
Texas,
Bound to be a 'crap shoot'-----any way you look at it!
:p Cha Cha

I already have a herd of goats. I am not planning on leaving the state right away. Eventually I plan on moving into California and finding some property I can keep them on and boondocking with them, but for the time being I am in AZ.
I was hoping someone had a similar story and could give me some ideas. 
I have a class A and a stock trailer. So this may get interesting...

RV homesteader said:
"...Eventually I plan on moving into California... I have a class A and a stock trailer. So this may get interesting...

"So this may get interesting..."
(It better not!)  :p

Once was:  a loose goat discovered in a neighbor's garden
might be shot.  These days, loose goat in a neighbor's garden
might get YOU shot.  

(CA no longer land of milk & honey.)
If you've any 'class'---A or otherwise---keep out---of CA!
This means YOU.

;) Charlotte