Well, I tried for two days up at A1 mountain Rd....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toilfreelife

Reaction score
.....dispersed camping in Flagstaff (8/18-19) and couldn't find any Tribe YouTubers or kin folk. And I went up to quite a few people. 

Here's what I'm realizing, I'm going to give this life style a chance until after the RTR in January. But it has to work for me on three levels: 
1. I need the support of other tribers, meaning, I need more texts/and phone numbers of people that are living this life style and thus able to glean information that can flow much faster and free-er between me and said for a variety of purposes. 

2. I need to get hooked up with people who really need my services, either for free or for what they can afford, to be able for them to live in their rig (car all the way up to A class) without suffering or risking death. 

3. I need to make a very small amount of money to keep me afloat. 

So, as with a lot of things, things seem great on YouTube or from wherever you get the info second hand, and then the reality comes along and it can and may be very, very different. I'm learning what that lesson is now and, as said, will give it to January to learn all the lesson. 
Otherwise, if it just doesn't jive in reality,  I'll just go back to urban camping which I've done forever and call it a day. 

Sending response here will not be the most advantageous, as I mentioned. I much, much prefer call or text. And no, I'm no nut case and if it doesn't feel right for any reason I will delete your phone number immediately and never call/text  you again. I give you my solemn promise on that. 

Rich, the best to all of you in this life,                    760 681-4926

Rich , I have been in Flagstaff for a couple months. I am retired full time van dweller. I have been with the tribe for about two years now. I am camping north of Flagstaff now. I will give you a call tomorrow after 11:00. Maybe meet up tomorrow also.

Tom

I am not in the US or I would connect with you. I am a bit concerned. I am hearing from a LOT of people on various platforms that are talking a lot about how the vanlife isn't at all what has been presented by CRVL... I am not saying it is or it isn't... I'm trying to figure out which picture is the right one. It just seems worrisome to suddenly start hearing all these people talking about a bunch of dangers, lack of contact, lack of assistance when they need it... and well, scary stories too. I am not going to be seeking a caravan of people or needing to be around a lot more people all the time, but I think the OP is like me... you'd like to feel you have a network out there because we are creatures that need others sometimes.

If you are looking for a shot of realism (not fake YouTube advice), then allow me;

First, if you you are expecting others to educate you or to make your vanlife worthwhile, I think you are destined for failure right off the bat. Self sufficiency is part of the life. It is quite easy to get info/advice about things you *can* do for this or that issue. Those pieces of advice are great and all... for that person. That advice may not work for you and none of it can be relied upon as an only solution for what ever issue you are looking into.

And hey, you do NOT need to go into this knowing every single thing out there. When I started in 2010, I had no clue that anyone else on the planet was even doing this. I didn't spend a single moment looking at another person's blog or asking questions on forums (I still don't). Most things are common sense, and making mistakes is just part of learning (as it is for any lifestyle). Just go do what YOU want to do and HOW you want to do it. Whether or not it works for you, is for you to decide.

Secondly, you did not mention what your "services" are. Got to market them before you can hope to score a couple paying customers.

Lastly, your required income should have been sorted out before you started. So many people start this lifestyle and realize (quickly) that their savings account doesn't go so far in the real world. Is this life cheap? That is relative. It is cheaper than an apartment is San Fran, but may not be any or much cheaper then your previous stationary life. You need income... you NEEDED regular income before you started traveling. Expecting that to flood in now will only cause you grief.

Think realistically and think about what is best for your situation. Stop getting advice from a YouTube channel. They rarely know anyting about what they are talking about. In fact, a great form of entertainment you will have (if you continue this any length of time) is watching YouTube videos and laughing at all the totally crappy advice that spews from the mouths of those people.

Good luck!

PS - I'd be more than happy to help in any way I can. Post a question on the forum so it can be answered and then that answer can be found by others as well.

^
This is the best of all[emoji106] I started my Van life after I had the knowledge and funds together at my retired age of very little SS income! Today I see way to many jump into this life like it is a current fad and no real love for or plans for this life. I feel that a true passion for this awesome life needs to be there or else it will be a unhappy excistance!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Lets face it for a lot of us that have some sort of regular income that we can get while traveling this is a really cheap way to live. The trade offs for most of us are worth it. If you are established and your pension and health insurance is going to be really great and paid for in a few short years you can still start living in an RV cheaply just not traveling. You will maybe suffer a little or spend a little more money with not being able to follow the good weather. Save money for when you can, we did and it worked but we still have to work seasonally to pay for 3 to 6 months traveling the way we want to. There are plenty of jobs in remote and beautiful places and you can travel seasonally between them. Watching your health and savings are the main limitations and even more so than when you were in a sticks and bricks house.

The people communicating here other social media is .0001% of those out there.

If you put "demands on the life" or I'll pack up and go home, generally the universe will respond

Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

You need to decide if you enjoy the life for yourself. Forget being a do-gooder or some mythical "tribe" that's a virtual thing not IRL you have to make that happen with a great personality the old fashioned F2F way.

Another vote for Van-Tramp. The only real way to achieve all your aspirations is to greatly reduce your expectations.
When I read a post that says I want, I want, I want, and I want this as well. I wonder if the world revolves that many times around anyone.

Nobody is going to know if you have skills or just hack everything together. Maybe do some Youtube videos of your work. Kind of like a portfolio. I would rather not have any work done than to have it done badly. I also don't hire anyone without a general knowledge of what it will cost me.

I retired from being a mechanic and came across someone that needed a job. I let them do some simple repairs and after they were done they wanted to charge me dealership prices. They said that is what it would have cost you at the shop. I told them if I did the work it would have cost me nothing. People who say pay me what you think it is worth will usually try playing the guilt card if you only pay what it is worth.

Ok Rich, you have a plan.
Now the realities of expectations that show you need some adjustments.
How fast can one attain their goals?
Sometimes ( often? always?), our expectations can lead to disappointment and frustration.
So now what? Adjust and find alternatives to still retain the important aspect of your desires.

Finding work in Flagstaff.
Be patient, be flexible to find other things, change your approach. Flagstaff is a small town, pop. approx 70k, with 25k students. Unless you're in a high demand position for that area, will take time, develop contacts, interact.

Social contacts. Once again, takes time. The fantasy of a happy, welcoming, supportive tribe isn't reality, it's only online, maybe. Have you read some of the responses on here?
There is a normal spectrum of society here. Some are great and helpful, some are not, most in the middle somewhere.
And nomads are spread out everywhere, not just conveniently at your location. And most not even on CRVL forums, from my experience. Lots of individual, introvert nomads who might not be trusting of anyone who wanders into camp. Post a get together for others looking for same. But not everyone gets along, even though they belong to the same tribe. Remember high school?

Volunteer work to help your fellow nomad.
Once again, they aren't just there waiting for you as you show up wherever. Most nomads who are already out there, are setup and don't need/want your charity.
Still a great thing though and you need to find another outlet for this helpful desire of yours. Local charities and churches can get you in touch with some really needy people. Once again, takes time to develop contacts within a community.

There will be a van build for three weeks in Parker, AZ starting Nov 1 which will be exactly what you're looking for. Lots of projects looking for volunteers to install vents/fans, solar, build beds, tear out old interiors, complete build outs, etc...
But that might be disappointing too for various reasons; when the rigs are newer than yours, questionable as to who really benefits, demanding people in better shape looking for free, those seeking help but have no problem finding alcohol or drugs, etc... The social interaction and connection is worth it though IMHO as evidenced by the large number of people who just show up to hangout.

The realities of life my friend, flex and adapt I always say.
Ideology, expectations and reality always needs to be tempered.

Also there are probably quite a few vehicle dwellers who go north for the summer and come back to AZ in the winter. You are kind of looking for people in the off season.

Give it a few months and the desert southwest will be crawling with people again.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

I'm heading to flagstaff now I'll be there in about an hour or so looking for tribe to meetup with. This is my first time there

Don't despair, you are in FlagStaff and that is a very popular area for nomads/rv/etc... this is also why I avoid it. I am more intrepid than most and more elusive than a snowman in Death Valley. If you are looking for tit-for-tat that is a good state of mind but AZ is not popular till it is between 80-90°F for the consistent highs. The web (this forum) is a good place to have long slow conversations and get news, feedback, suggestions, etc. I don't always post much or contact many people, have met many people in the CRVL group, also referred to as "tribe", and many outside of it. I will give you a call here so that the help/info network is stronger. I will not let a person with good intentions dangle, even if going in the wrong direction.

Minivanmotoman said:
Ok Rich, you have a plan.
Now the realities of expectations that show you need some adjustments.
How fast can one attain their goals?
Sometimes ( often? always?), our expectations can lead to disappointment and frustration.
So now what? Adjust and find alternatives to still retain the important aspect of your desires.

Finding work in Flagstaff.
Be patient, be flexible to find other things, change your approach. Flagstaff is a small town, pop. approx 70k, with 25k students. Unless you're in a high demand position for that area, will take time, develop contacts, interact.

Social contacts. Once again, takes time. The fantasy of a happy, welcoming, supportive tribe isn't reality, it's only online, maybe. Have you read some of the responses on here?
There is a normal spectrum of society here. Some are great and helpful, some are not, most in the middle somewhere.
And nomads are spread out everywhere, not just conveniently at your location. And most not even on CRVL forums, from my experience. Lots of individual, introvert nomads who might not be trusting of anyone who wanders into camp. Post a get together for others looking for same. But not everyone gets along, even though they belong to the same tribe. Remember high school?

Volunteer work to help your fellow nomad.
Once again, they aren't just there waiting for you as you show up wherever. Most nomads who are already out there, are setup and don't need/want your charity.
Still a great thing though and you need to find another outlet for this helpful desire of yours. Local charities and churches can get you in touch with some really needy people. Once again, takes time to develop contacts within a community.

There will be a van build for three weeks in Parker, AZ starting Nov 1 which will be exactly what you're looking for. Lots of projects looking for volunteers to install vents/fans, solar, build beds, tear out old interiors, complete build outs, etc...
But that might be disappointing too for various reasons; when the rigs are newer than yours, questionable as to who really benefits, demanding people in better shape looking for free, those seeking help but have no problem finding alcohol or drugs, etc... The social interaction and connection is worth it though IMHO as evidenced by the large number of people who just show up to hangout.

The realities of life my friend, flex and adapt I always say.
Ideology, expectations and reality always needs to be tempered.
[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I haven’t posted in awhile, but thought I’d share some of my experiences. Been full time since Jan 2018. There are both good and bad parts. The best part is the scenery I see all the time in my travels and the great friends I’ve made along the way. I prefer to camp with friends but have spent lots of time alone. You have to be flexible in this lifestyle. I worked as a camp host this summer for the extra $$ and will prob work in Q this winter. I started with extra money, but stuff happens. I continue to adapt and my friends are always giving helpful advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a new full-timer since March this year, I thought I had done my due diligence and had all my bases covered...but reality is you're never as prepared as you think you are. As VT mentioned what works for some may not work for you. I watched some of the video's and got scared about getting on the road. But, I have learned, through experience, its not like the you tube video's. This is REALITY. When I first started, I was looking for people like myself, and could not find them. What I found were the wrong kind. So, I am in stealth mode. I am a Urban Camper and will continue to be. I am on a website that tells me where I can get work. Also Gigs on craigslist. Please use common sense when contacting. I have been fortunate enough to SUPPLEMENT my income. I have work stayed at a campground, and didn't enjoy the busyness around me. Although four days of work and you can stay for a month for free. At this point in my journey, I have learned that everyday things change. I hope you stick with it, and take a deep breath. When I get closer, I will give you a ring. Good Luck to you my friend. Be Safe, and keep that stupid grin on your face...you are living the life...

van-tramp i hope to meet you out West next spring.... Hell, I'll buy you an iced tea.

It looks like the OP Hasn’t been on the forum since 8/22/18. Does that mean he hasn’t seen all of these awesome ideas? Bummer!