weird OCCASIONAL panic problem

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pnolans said:
I was wrong... this did not solve the problem... HOWEVER, the following is good news:

Current status
After 3 weeks on the road, I realized that he is very unlikely to stroke out or have a heart attack (which was my main concern).  So, as stargazer (I believe) suggested, I've come to just ignore his anxious behavior.  As a result of that, I  believe I have noticed a SLIGHT decrease in his anxiety.  

We all 3 love this lifestyle, and are very thankful for all of the help on this and other questions I've asked.  I'm quite sure I've found my new home.  

Pat 
aka Wanderin.Pat

:) I'm so glad things are working out for you guys.  Are you a "Fulltimer" now?  I wish you many safe and happy travels.

Queenie wants to stand up while riding so I'm working out a way to fix the front passenger seat where she can sit/lay/see without a chance of  going/falling out.  I know it sounds crazy but I'm lookining at a metal grill of some sort attached to the door.  Whatever it takes to keep her safe.  I'm not concerned with how it looks.

Jewellann

TrainChaser said:
Dogs and cats are more creatures of habit than we probably believe.  Like people, some dogs are anxious for the Next New Adventure, and others tend to be more 'home bodies' and need to get used to the idea.

Dogs also read our stress scents.  The more the owner relaxes in a new environment, the more the dog is likely to do the same.

That certainly fits the behavior I've observed.... I am absolutely more relaxed.  Taz seems a little more clingy out here, yet shows every sign of really loving it.  I know I do!

TXJB: "Queenie wants to stand up while riding so I'm working out a way to fix the front passenger seat where she can sit/lay/see without a chance of going/falling out. I know it sounds crazy but I'm lookining at a metal grill of some sort attached to the door."

A rack on the door probably wouldn't work: to have the rack up against the seat w/o a crack, I don't think the rack would clear the door frame when you closed it.

How about something like this? Find a folding wire mesh dog crate that fits your dog AND has a hinged top. Set the crate in place with the top wide open (hinge forward, hanging down), and strap it in place with a rachet-type strap. Partly fill the crate with custom-cut (by you) sofa-type foam cushions, leaving a rim around the top so she can't roll out. Put a blankie on top.

Another way (probably more expensive unless you have a friend) could be to have a metal worker make a mesh box with two strong hooks welded to it that hook over the back of the seat.

Txjaybird said:
:) I'm so glad things are working out for you guys.  Are you a "Fulltimer" now?  I wish you many safe and happy travels.

Queenie wants to stand up while riding so I'm working out a way to fix the front passenger seat where she can sit/lay/see without a chance of  going/falling out.  I know it sounds crazy but I'm lookining at a metal grill of some sort attached to the door.  Whatever it takes to keep her safe.  I'm not concerned with how it looks.

Jewellann

Sorry, I just realized I missed the question! Yes, we are full-time now.  And loving it.  Thanks for your help !

Pat

Taz sure seemed happy when we met. Came right in my trailer to greet me. Great pup.

Rob

Gunny said:
Taz sure seemed happy when we met. Came right in my trailer to greet me. Great pup.

Rob

Well, Rob , like most dogs, he knows good people when he sees and smells them.  :)

You defiitely passed the test!

For those who didn't see me mention this in other topics, Taz has gone to play with the talking animals in Narnia. 

He had a cancerous tumor on his right rear leg, as well as possible liver issues.  We had the vet remove the tumor on his leg, but the biopsy came back from the lab that he hadn't gotten it all.  The next step was amputation or chemo/radiology ...  After the surgery, he started losing his appetite , slowing down and just wanting to be by himself.  He made friends with one of the rescue horses out here, and would just relax in the pasture.  

He still had some spark, but just seemed tired.  And he had still never gotten over the panic while riding in the truck. 

I believe he's a lot happier now.  Maybe, maybe not, but that's what I choose to believe. 

But Dear God, do I miss him.   He brought a lot of joy to my life.  I'm really thankful I still have Lacy.  I pray she stays healthy. 

Thanks for all of the support from you folks.  You are truly wonderful people.

Pat

Pat, this is a picture I have posted a few times, it always seems appropriate when we lose one of our friends. 

My Best, Rob

3ca00d6b-90c3-461b-bf48-4fefd9d30c3d_zpsztf4bfdj.jpg

Attachments

• 3ca00d6b-90c3-461b-bf48-4fefd9d30c3d_zpsztf4bfdj.jpg
    3ca00d6b-90c3-461b-bf48-4fefd9d30c3d_zpsztf4bfdj.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 9
Pat, sounds like you were a wonderful dad to Taz. So glad you still have Lacy, hopefully she can ease your hurting heart a bit.

RobndaHood said:
Pat, this is a picture I have posted a few times, it always seems appropriate when we lose one of our friends. 

My Best, Rob

I LOVE that!  Thanks for sharing it.  

Pat

Queen said:
Pat, sounds like you were a wonderful dad to Taz.  So glad you still have Lacy, hopefully she can ease your hurting heart a bit.

Thanks!  I'm thinking Lacy is going to get spoiled even more!  In fact, I'm sure of it. 

Pat

A nice video Pat. While I was checking it out I found a video called "Taz"

It's about a 4 minute YouTube Video

RobndaHood said:
A nice video  Pat. While I was checking it out I found a video called "Taz"

It's about a 4 minute YouTube Video

Oh, no.... Taz hasn't been adopted???? 

Oh no.... I feel my heart being tugged on!  

Oh no... I'm in trouble now.  

Seriously, RobndaHood, thanks for sharing.  I may have to do more investigating!  

:rolleyes:

My gosh!  They're in Romania!  I don't think I can drive my trailer there.

I never looked where they were, I just thought it a nice coincidence that you lost Taz and a newborn puppy named Taz made it through a tough time.

Losing an animal is soooooo verrrrryyyyyy tough! :( I still miss my other service doggies.... but lovin' the one I have now.... take care of yourself... (Yes, I believe animals are in heaven... God loves them! He cared so much about His animals that He had Adam name each one!)

DrJean said:
Losing an animal is soooooo verrrrryyyyyy tough! :(   I still miss my other service doggies.... but lovin' the one I have now....  take care of yourself... (Yes, I believe animals are in heaven... God loves them!  He cared so much about His animals that He had Adam name each one!)

I've always believed they were angels!  I was raised as a Roman Catholic, and I remember the idea of "guardian angels"...  The way they kept me company, it was one of those "who rescued who?" kind of things!  Thankfully, I still have Lacy.  But I have a feeling that another one is in my future.  

I especially loved to provide homes to those who need rescuing. When Robndahood mentioned Taz, I was already losing my resolve to wait at least six months to focus on Lacy.  

Thanks to all for your support,

Pat

You know, when I adopted Taz and then Lacy, I had a bit of a hurdle to overcome since I didn't live in a home with a fenced back yard.  If I decide to get another dog to keep Lacy company ( :rolleyes: ) , I'm wondering if I'll have an even bigger challenge considering I have NO fixed address and live in a slightly-converted cargo trailer.  

When I lived in an apartment, Taz and Lacy got more exercise and company than most dogs who live in the backyard of someone's home .  I took them with me most of the time.  I could leave them in the car with the windows down and they'd stay in the car.   We hiked a LOT.  and just hung out.  

Any opinions from you folks about places that don't treat us differently?