Do I say Hi here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
Just starting on this journey. In my youth I traveled around the worth with a backpack, buggered up/down the Alcan with my dog, and basically roamed. I was married to Air Force for 13 years and lived in Japan and traveled around that area. I divorced him 10 years ago, at which time my kids and I moved to Thailand for a bit, then came back home to Alaska for them to be in jr high/high school. They are now in college, so I have fulfilled my promise to them and it’s time for them to find their own wind for their new wings. My gypsy soul wants to explore again.
I am almost 2 years into my Doctorate of Education - Special Education and find I’m just sitting at my desk looking out feeling stuck in the same town I was grew up (not 2 miles from my family house). I love Alaska, but it was my parents dream place not mine. I had the fancy big house with all the toys and all the things and all that which society and my family told me was success. Im tired of things and bills and expectations.

I figure since I’m spending the next 3 years researching and writing, might as well get back to exploring as I can do my work from anywhere. Maybe I’ll drive around and find “my place” or maybe not… maybe after a while I’ll park my van and take off overseas again. Maybe I’ll be a professor, or researcher, or consultant. I really don’t know. For the first time in a long while, my gypsy soul has no ties. But the world does scare me a bit, it’s been a while since I’ve been this free, and I do like having a safe place to retreat from society.

I love creating things from things tossed out.. restore is my nordstroms. I love building and I want a home of my own that I can’t have taken away, or kicked out or used against me or have to share or build to another’s desires… A wagon, a home to roam.

Im looking at step vans. It’ll just be me and my rescue pup Cody, my computer and reading glasses to must wander around exploring lands and earning a degree to help provide better services in a profession that is my passion.

Thank you for having me.

Welcome to the forums, Calyso! Glad you decided to join us!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.
Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.
We look forward to hearing more from you.

Just starting on this journey. In my youth I traveled around the worth with a backpack, buggered up/down the Alcan with my dog, and basically roamed.
Calypso, when you say "the Alcan" are you referring to the Alaska Highway? I grew up in Northern British Columbia. I've been to the Yukon but not yet Alaska.

Welcome! :)

Most of what the Restores stock is not useful for van building other than some of the cabinets people use in No Build Builds.

Calypso, when you say "the Alcan" are you referring to the Alaska Highway? I grew up in Northern British Columbia. I've been to the Yukon but not yet Alaska.

Welcome! :)
Yes, the Alcan. I’ve driven it but not for “fun” and just with my dog, my jeep and a tent. That was a long time ago…like 30 years and I imagine it’s changed and hopefully improved. I also drive it in late October and ran into snow storms. I did have some amazing experiences and would love to do it properly. I’d have to gain some more trust in my step van, and myself, to take her down. We are in a fairly new relationship. 😆

Thank you for the welcome. BC is an area I want to really spend some good time, it’s just so beautiful.