Waterless Bath and Shave

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binxie

Reaction score
If anyone else has covered this ground, I apologize.

I've been getting good results for cleaning up with No-Rinse Body Wash. I first used it when caring for a bedridden friend, and now I'm using it myself when I can't find a regular shower, at least for the pits and crevasses. Works great for body and hair. I've bought it at HEB in Texas and Amazon has it for order. The other day I saw a similar product in the camping section of Walmart, but I can't recall the product name.

For shaving, I tried something new today, and it worked great. I gunked aloe vera gel on my chin and shaved away. I wiped the razor as I went on a paper towel, then used another paper towel to wipe my chin clean at the end.

Nothing beats a hot shower, but No-Rinse, an aloe vera shave, and fresh clothes adequately prepare me for civilized company. At least, I haven't noticed anyone wrinkling their noses at me.

While not questioning whether your method works, it is so easy to have a shower in a van, I have a real hard time understanding why more people don't have them. I really enjoy my daily showers.

I can see where it could be difficult for people in something smaller than a van, but even a low top van like mine is both easy and cheap to install a sit down shower.

Not knocking your method, I just wanted to let other readers of the thread know that it isn't all that difficult to have a nice shower in a van.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
While not questioning whether your method works, it is so easy to have a shower in a van, I have a real hard time understanding why more people don't have them.  I really enjoy my daily showers.

I can see where it could be difficult for people in something smaller than a van, but even a low top van like mine is both easy and cheap to install a sit down shower.

Not knocking your method, I just wanted to let other readers of the thread know that it isn't all that difficult to have a nice shower in a van.

Yeah I second Bob's request for Pictures.

akrvbob said:
Great information, thanks!

Can you give us an idea of the process of using the No-Rinse Body Wash? I can't quite picture it. (no pun intended!! :p)

Here is a 16oz bottle for $8  http://amzn.to/1FTbv4j

One gallon for $33 http://amzn.to/1KWT2D9
Bob

No Rinse is also available at Walgreens in the Senior Citizen section. (Where I shop!) Works great.

Pretty much any variety of skin lotion will work for shaving. When you're done, just work the excess into your skin. It ends up being sort of a combination shaving cream and aftershave.

Off Grid 24/7 said:

I have a Ram Promaster City, which is pretty much like a Transit Connect, only no high top. Basically, my bed takes up all the room; it's an overgrown car.

akrvbob said:
Can you give us an idea of the process of using the No-Rinse Body Wash? I can't quite picture it. (no pun intended!! :p)

No-Rinse is basically a slightly viscous liquid. I wouldn't even call it a gel or lotion. I squirt some in my palm, place my palm in the general area to be cleaned, and work it around. Then a minute or two later, I wipe off the excess with a paper towel.

akrvbob said:
Can you post some pictures of your shower?

If you can't post them email them to me and I will for you.  [email protected]
Bob

I don't happen to have any pictures of mine, I still don't have a camera, but here's some pictures out of one of the Vandwelling 101 series, with permission of course.

camp_showers.jpg

Attachments

• camp_showers.jpg
    camp_showers.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 64
I can remember in my high school blazer I drilled a hole in the center of consoul we would put ice and beer, the water would just run right out. The shower principal is the same, find anything to si or stand in pvc through to the bottom. you could even cap it and put shower up

Binxie said:
No-Rinse is basically a slightly viscous liquid. I wouldn't even call it a gel or lotion. I squirt some in my palm, place my palm in the general area to be cleaned, and work it around. Then a minute or two later, I wipe off the excess with a paper towel.

The Amazon. com description shows that it is used by diluting 1 oz of wash with water to make the correct solution.   Maybe rubbing it on concentrated is not such a good idea?

Also, I'm thinking about hanging a hoop from the high top and standing in a rectangular plastic cement mixing bucket for drainage.   I will connect 1/2 inch tubing from the cement bucket down to a small hole in the lower floor of the side door entrance for drainage.   Any hydroponic store sells the water tight connections to connect the drain hose to the bucket.    When not in use, a plastic plug will fill the hole.

66788 said:
The Amazon. com description shows that it is used by diluting 1 oz of wash with water to make the correct solution.   Maybe rubbing it on concentrated is not such a good idea?

Also, I'm thinking about hanging a hoop from the high top and standing in a rectangular plastic cement mixing bucket for drainage.   I will connect 1/2 inch tubing from the cement bucket down to a small hole in the lower floor of the side door entrance for drainage.   Any hydroponic store sells the water tight connections to connect the drain hose to the bucket.    When not in use, a plastic plug will fill the hole.

Please, please don't be draining this to the outside world anywhere you shouldn't be - like a parking lot or any of the areas that forbid throwing gray water on the ground.

That is unless you meant to say that you'd be putting a bucket under the drain to catch the water for proper disposal!!

And if you're someplace where it's okay to dispose of gray water, please use a biodegradable soap.

And yes, I'm vandweller image conscious and ecologically picky!!

66788 said:

You made me look at my bottle! Thankfully, mine says to apply directly to skin. <Phew!> They must sell it in different concentrations.

I wanted to put one of these in our pop-up but haven't since I decided a pop-up isn't going to be the "future" for me. Hopefully this hasn't been posted before: http://popuptimes.com/?p=787 It might work for some with some adjustments here and there.

i gave up on shaving cream or anything but a bit of water a long time ago for shaving. Most time i just do it dry in my side mirror.

I switched to an electric razor back in about 1986. I buy Norelco and am only a third of the way through the life expectancy of the second one. Replaced the battery twice in the first one.

Yes, not as close as a razor but I can shave anywhere, without even looking.