Water Filtration

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRV2

Reaction score
I do not have much experience on the road, but surmise that water can be often difficult to find, and potable water even more difficult to find. As the economy declines water sanitation will decline, and because I figure it is not good to rely upon potable sources as healthy sources as it is, I filter all drinking and cooking water. I do have the capability to filter the nastiest water, loaded with chemicals, disease, and even radiation from fall out into potable water if necessary. Not to boast, but to attempt to make some aware that it is possible for one to use just about any water source out there. If you'd like to know more about that I'll elaborate, yet I rather pass along the most reliable long term gravity operated and robust and effective filtering system that will handle of the 98% of contaminates, and water sources. Folks wrote about getting sick on the road, gardia and other cytes can make one extremely sick. Wouldn't be to able nice to use water from a creek or pond without boiling it?

It is such a good system for RV'ers I must tell you-all to get a Berkey Water Filter. It is not cheap, but it will last you 5 to 10 YEARS and make bad water good, and bad tasting water taste fantastic. I can also explain how you can make your own Berkey system for about $125 instead of the $400 to $500 for a two, or four filter Berkey system. I've been using mine for over 5 years and it shows no sign of slowing down. It is a simple gravity operated system.

It is Sunday and I am bored, and I believe this is an important topic. Water is life. You can only last 2 or 3 days without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Berkey-BK4X2-BB-Stainless-Filtration-Elements/dp/B00CYW3EVO

My sawyer gravity feed will be with me anyways for any backcountry canoe/kayak/backpacking trips I find myself on.

I've often wondered when I read about people having to run to town for water when they're parked next to the lake, why they don't just filter their own water!! Sawyer mini's are in the $20 to $25 range...not like it's expensive!

Whole heartedly agree. I have many of the different types of filters for backpacking to whole house types that filter dangerous chemicals and particles to less than 0.5 microns. I believe the Berkey is the most practical, and the best out there for the money. I would even adapt one Berkey filter for backpacking instead of using other filters and have. Yes, they are that useful. With the sophisticated whole house filters now installed in the rig, there isn't any water source I would not pump from except perhaps raw sewage. But if desperate... If folks knew what was available, life on the road can be made to be easier, and for a justifiable cost. How much fuel could one save if they did not have to periodically make a run for water, especially if you can only haul say 20 gallons at a time? Is it worth it if one had a surface water source they could endlessly draw upon? Do folks know they could run several hundred feet of hose and pump water from a surface source directly for needs other than for drinking or cooking? Or for both? It really is a simple and an affordable option.

As this sort of thing is not interesting to most folks, I'll stick with what is most practical and simple enough for most folks.

Step #1
Using two replacement Berkey filters that run about $100 a pair, two 5 gallon food grade buckets from Home Depot (orange in color) with lids, a 1/2 inch brass or PVC valve secured by a 1/2 inch coupling inside the bucket. Cut a hole in the side of the bucket near the bottom for 1/2 iron pipe threads with a knife, or better yet start the hole and ream it out with a larger metal cutting drill bit. Use RTV silicone around and in hole rim on the inside and outside of the bucket wall, or better yet, use an appropriate sized rubber gasket on the inside of the buck, or both, to firmly secure and make water tight the valve. Use the 1/2 inch coupling inside the bucket to tightly hold the valve in place.

Step #2.

Using a properly size drill bit or just a good sharp knife, carve two holes spaced approximate 5 inches apart and opposing, slightly larger than 1/4 inch in diameter in the bottom of the second bucket. The second bucket will hold the filters, and sit on top of the bucket with the valve. A lid on the bottom bucket will be used to hold the top bucket in place, however the filter stems and securing nuts must hold the lid unto to the bottom of the 'top' filter containing bucket, so set the lid in place and mark where the holes in the bottom of the top bucket are, and make 2 holes in the lid in exactly the same place so that the stems of the filters protrude through the bottom of the 'top' bucket and through the lid, make the lid and bucket one piece.

Step #3.

The lid for the top bucket can be simply be used to enclose and protect the water and filters in the top bucket, or a large hole can be made and screen or best yet, 5 layers of cotton fabric can be made to cover the hole and act as a pre-filter to help prolong the operating time between cleanings of the filters. This would be especially useful should the water be obviously dirt or cloudy.

Step#4

Place the top bucket with the filters and lid attached to it's bottom on top of the bottom bucket by snapping the lid on and in place. Fill the top bucket with water and you will soon have more water to drink than two persons will drink during a hot summer day.

Total cost for the project should be around $125 bucks. That would be a savings of around $275 over the very nice stainless steel Berkey 2 filter system. And you will have a 5 gallon reservoir instead of a 2 gallon reservoir that the Berkey has. I go through 2 gallons real quick, so a 5 gallon capacity is not impractical, but nice if you have the room for that large size. If not, make one similar, but as small as one gallon if you would like. That would fit just about anywhere...

Quite simple to build a gravity feed filter using the Berkey candles or similar and a clean bucket/pot.
I also have a few different small hiking/camping filters, including two different filter bottles. I have used a filter bottle on a piece of line to dip into a stream under a bridge, then fill canteens by using the filter cartridge. Easier and cleaner than getting wet and muddy trying to use a hand pump unit at the water's edge.

If I there were a virus in the area and a dead body could possibly be somewhere in the water, the Swayer would be the better filter. It also appears to a smaller and portable type that requires much more time to filter. I also have the Katadyne, a pump operated filter and a very light weight straw/gravity filter good for 50 gallons. These are well suited for backpacking and emergency use, yet I would not want to use them on a daily basis. I would use different filter systems for different jobs.

I "built my own berkey" using Doulton 10" candle type filter. When I replace the filter, it will be with 2 of the dome type since as the water flows out more and more of the tall filter is exposed and not doing it's job.
I also carry a Sawyer straw for hikes.
There are times I filter and boil the water.

I'm not brand loyal. I will use what works. I just have read more on the Berkey systems. One of my filter bottles is a Sawyer though. It seems to work fine. But the bottles don't filter as finely as a good gravity system. Thankfully viruses are rare in US waters, so I have never felt the extreme need for a high dollar system.

If you want good water with no qualms, you need to add a UVC section as a final stage, otherwise viri will still be in the water! I use one that works on 12v, if people are interested I'll crawl under and get the name. I also bubble Ozone in the water for drinking, kills everything and makes the water taste great!

I'm currently building a UVC tube that uses LEDs rather than the fluorescent tube that my current filter uses, much less power and longer life.

Corky

UV water treatment bulbs are not fluorescent. I am curious about the UV LED's. Are they true UV light?

Will these things work on rain water ? I know rain water has loads of pollution in it.
When I was in Viet Nam, we'd shower in the rain and drink it, but that was over 40 years ago.

rouge do you prefilter if you have a high suspended solids in the water(turbidity) I have been looking at the one rouge posted first, the big berky. I am leaning towards that one because it's stainless. even the food grade buckets imo impart a taste into the water. I also have two of the backpack type, while they work good they can't do the volume and you have to pump them. I like the gravity, fill and forget. highdesertranger

Yes, the Big Berkey in the stainless is the way to go if you can afford it. They do sell 'travel size' units in stainless and they have a version in a clear plastic. Prices are all over the place and trending higher. Glad I got mine years ago when it was much cheaper. Mine was $300, and it was the Big Berkey with *4* black filters. These filters are easy to clean, yet the ceramic filters are a brittle material and some of it is lost during the cleaning process that is need every few months to 6 months depending on the water quality. I believe it is therefore a good idea to reduce the frequency of necessary cleanings by pre-filtering water that has turbidity present. The turbidity can be reduced by passing the water through 5 layers of cotton material, but the Berkey filters will filter that water without pre-filtering it. The suspended particles often house bacteria, and bacterial growth can occur inside the upper tank. Reducing turbitity can extend the time between filter cleanings.

The electric water transfer pump I have has a 10 micron pre-filter on the suction side and a 5 micron filter on the output side. I can also attach filters for chemicals and sub micron particles if necessary to remove metals, chemicals, bateria and even virus. One can do the same with a Shurflo. If you use a standard Shurflo pump such as the old #2088 or newer (they are all about the same) as a transfer pump, one can easily throw a pre-filter on the output side. A 5 micron filter would do the most good. Interesting thing about the old Shurflo's is that these can use a very long suction hose measuring 50 feet or more should the difference in elevation not be more than about 12 feet. Also, as I have tested, the Shurflo can pump water through hundreds of feet of garden hose and still have adequate gpm and pressure to wash a car or van or fill tanks, so long as the increase in elevation is not substantial. Put a garden hose sprayer/nozzle on the end of that garden hose and the pressure switch on that pump will shut off the pump. One can therefore have water on demand from a distant surface water source. Place the pump near the water and that distant can be several hundred feet or possibly more. Install that pump on board and throw the 50 foot hose into the water and it will slowly but surely bring water to the vehicle. Any of these combinations can pump water through house hold filters and drastically improve water quality before it is put into the Berkey or the tanks. The good thang about the Berkey is that is it very simple. Only the plastic faucet is a weak point.

Travel Berkey, $258.oo :
http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Berkey-Filter-Filters-Fluoride/dp/B00AWVQLPK

Big Berkey, $425.00 :
http://www.amazon.com/Berkey-BK4X2-...qid=1419902336&sr=8-1&keywords=berkley+filter

Here is a set of filters, $109.00 :
http://www.amazon.com/Berkey-Replac...qid=1419902336&sr=8-2&keywords=berkley+filter

RogueRV2 said:
Do folks know they could run several hundred feet of hose and pump water from a surface source directly for needs other than for drinking or cooking? Or for both?  It really is a simple and an affordable option.

I'm just starting research on water filtration since I'm not on the road yet and I appreciate all the other information in this thread. It made sense to me so that's good in my book since I can follow directions well in some areas. I would love to be independent of having to go to town or find a vending machine just for water. I'm curious though about what mechanism would be doing the pumping if one were to run a hose to the water source? Is it manual, mechanical, electric, 12v....? Or is it part of the water filter systems when you buy them?

After having a pool filled years ago with the same water they use to fill people's drinking water cisterns and seeing some kind of organism that looked like a foot-long tapeworm type thing (never did figure out what it was) and other wiggly things, as well as experiencing drinking water "purified" with the purification pills in my travels in the Amazon Rain Forest I'm all for a decent water purifier. Carrying the water a distance to get it to the rolling homestead is not something I can do easily.

Thanks for any information on an easier way to get the water from the source to the storage! :)

anewbiewannabe said:
The first filtering system I'd go with is the Berkey.  No electricity needed to operate, or hoses or pumps, it is a portable gravity fed filter.  If I could afford the next step that allows me to take from a surface source in quantity,  then I'd use a Surflow pump, garden hose, and an in-line filter that can be had at an RV or plumbing store.  This would allow one the ability to pump hundreds of gallons should they choose. Of course, I could avoid the cost of an in-line filter by using the Berkey to filter drinking water.  However, a course an inexpensive 10 micron in- line filter would help keep my tanks free of debris. With an advanced filtering system, there are few water sources that would be completely unacceptable.  Typical carbon activated filters exclude particle sizes greater than 5 microns.  Specialty filters can be as fine as 0.5 microns.

Because the economy continues to slide deeper into what will be at a minimum, a severe depression accompanied by the usual complications,  it would pay to be as self sufficient as possible.  Water is life.  One can go without food, but not without potable drinking water. Bad water can kill.  Eventually many public sources will not provide safe water.  Boiling water is the best way to eliminate a biological threat, then a chemical means such as bleach (sodium hypochlorite, aka Pool Shock), or iodine if properly used, will eliminate most bacteria and cysts, but not viruses.  Yet there is also will be harmful chemicals that only a good filtering system can reduce, or remove. The Berkey filter does a fantastic job of that as well.  It is the best value and most practical.

Here's a DIY on demand water filtration device if you have access to coniferous trees: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0089934#pone-0089934-g004.  You supply the tube & binding, & nature supplies the xylem from the sapwood of coniferous trees. Some articles say "... would remove some viruses..." & "... cannot trap most viruses...". They also say "...it can remove 99.9% of bacterial and protozoan pathogens from water." & "...  can filter water at the rate of several liters per day, sufficient to meet the clean drinking water needs of one person."