Watched the CheapRVliving live, now Im here!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snappyfish

Reaction score
Hello, 

For the last couple of years, I've found myself wondering "what is it all about" maybe it's my age? Maybe I spent too long in the same job, 25 years.

I've worked hard for many years earning an average income. But one thing I realized recently is that my money is building up, I had no time, I didn't spend a lot.

I wasn't happy! I have a very ill mother he I need to be around at the moment, and I changed my work and become self-employed. The goal was to work for myself and be around my Mum while she is still here and helps as much as poss. 

One day I wish to travel, as I seem to have spent my life static one place, one job. I need an adventure!  :)

Welcome Snappy to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome to the forum...

I've spent 49-years working at the same job, so I kinda know how you feel.

Best wishes...

Hi everyone,
My name's Maggie and I currently have some health issues that have caused me to lose my job. I've been fighting for disability now for a year and hopefully I will get my hearing soon. Anyways with that being said, I have been researching the nomad lifestyle for over 5 years. It has been my dream & my health isn't going to stop me. Just have to make some adjustments. If it weren't for my son, I would be out on the streets. I lost my car since I wasn't able to work. Now facing the reality that I won't have the amount of money I used to have I cannot afford a "stick and brick" place, so I am absorbing as much information as I can to make my dream a reality. 
I really am thankful for this community and am trying to decide if a small RV or a step van would work better for my needs. My son said he would help with the conversion of the step van, but he works a lot of overtime. We will see. 
Marley and Pumpkin are my dogs & they will be making the journey with me on my new adventure when that time comes. 
Welcome to all the other newbies as well. 
:heart: Maggs

Welcome Snappy!

I think I can feel some of where you're coming from.  I have been a caretaker for the elderly, and am now dealing with a declining mother who is not quite aware how much she is declining. Because of her personality, things will be especially difficult.  And are already, and have been for years.  It's just who she is even without decline.

I had unfulfilling jobs myself, for the most part.  And spent many years at them without ever seeming to make any interesting progress in life.

So I can relate to you in a lot of ways.  My money was terribly tight, slowly grew, went to nothing, then shot up and is now going down again fairly rapidly.  I'm trying to get myself outfitted properly.  It's a surprisingly cumbersome, costly, and sometimes emotional journey.

But I think it's quite do-able if you have some resources behind you.  Funny thing is, living cheap isn't cheap.  At least not with any degree of safety or happy calm.

But maybe you will successfully narrow thing down.  Do get started while you have the cash to do it right, so you can sustain yourself and not simply bleed money till the barrel of a gun looks like a cool drink of water.

Thanks for all the comments above so far.

I suppose it sounds like I want to escape, it's not escaping as such but I'm reaching an age where you look back and think I guess. I've spent this long in one job and staying close to family to help with a disability limits you. 

I want to see more and do more, I feel extremely lucky to nearly own my house outright, I don't quite know how i've managed it. I guess I've never been one to spend a lot, no luxurious items like big cars, or huge tv etc, so I guess my drive for a huge big bank account was never there. So owning a house soon should allow me some freedom, possibility of renting it out and earning the rent while I travel and enjoy my life later on. 

One thing though is that I still want to keep busy, I have learned basic web skills, web design etc. But my current trade really keeps me in one place and couldn't take that with me. So I'm looking to try and earn money via web... somehow? 

Anyone completely changed there work life to allow a basic income which allows you to travel and work?

Hey Snaps,

Welcome.  You'll find a lot of income ideas here.  It'll depend on how much you need to keep you going, but my daughter does 100% of her work online and never steps foot in the office.  She's a graphic artist and she went to art school to work on video, animation and gaming.  Most places that do that kind of work all expect their employees to work from wherever they are.  So if she has a project in New Zealand, she collaborates with others all over the world and sends it in to the studio there.  It's all so space age that I don't understand it.

Many different options out there.  I wish you luck and happy travels!

Latest posts