Washing clothes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided on the manual type. Found a plunger at the Dollar Tree and have a 5-gallon Home Depot bucket. Biodegradable soap and I'm in business.

Has anybody ever done "research" to see what cotton/poly combo is best for air-drying clothes as a nomad? I am wondering if 60%/40% cotton/polyester will dry in an appropriate amount of time?

Problem I have with special high tech blends for quick drying, is they get smelly lots faster!

For me anyway, not just shirts but socks.

Merino wool for the win!

My "research" results show that a blend of synthetics & cotton will air dry quicker that cotton alone. Synthetics generally retain warmth when wet as well, while cotton will remove warmth when wet. Each of these attributes can be both harmful & beneficial, depending on the circumstance. However, a damp or wet shirt of either material is refreshing to wear when it's hot, and the synthetic will still dry quicker. One example; while walking I came upon a creek and dipped my shirt as the air temp was 105f, and fifteen minutes later I noticed it was dry. I second the use of merino wool for socks.

If you want something thats way better than a 5 gallon bucket but the same principle use some kind of an old cooler. After I got my 12 volt fridge I thought 'don't need that old 15$ igloo ice cube chest I got at Walmart anymore'.

Hmmmmm - if I cut a whole in the top for the plunger handle I have a RAHeeeely nice washin masheen! Its on wheels, can close the lid and have a spot to set a drink, when time to drain extend the handle and roll whereever & pull the plug.............

Jus sayin.............INTJohn

Did not read whole thread here so apologies if this is a redundant post.

Yes, its more expensive than a bucket & plunger (is ~$43) but my son bought one of these hand crank laundry spinners for his apartment and loves it. He works in a brewery and can't get to laundromat easily, so wanted to be able to rinse out shirts and stuff easily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C8HR9...t=&hvlocphy=1018489&hvtargid=pla-275646873558

downside: may take up more room to store. Upside: with lightweight fabrics it helps spin the water out and dry time is super minimal.

Yes, that was our only laundry appliance for almost a decade raising kids off-grid. Excellent, uses **very** little precious water boondocking, cleans as well as a big electric washer with hot water, and very easy, long as you don't let the pile grow, keep up with the washing regularly.

You can store some stuff inside when not in use.

Motrukdriver said:
Bucket and plunger method of wash, hand crank wringer after rinse, 2x2 square tube to fit the trailer hitch about 3' long with a round tube welded to the end so this fits in.  

This is exactly what I want to do.  Do you have a picture of the wringer attached to the trailer hitch?  I was also thinking of attaching it to the back bumper of the trailer.  It's a 1988 15 ft.

The hitch insert assembly is for holding the clothes dryer so you don't have to stake it to the ground with ropes or wires. The umbrella type dryer just slides into the tube, open it up and hang your clothes to dry. Take it all down out of the way when clothes are dry.

You talking about a portable Hills hoist? That I'd like to see!

Yeah, with a hitch insert to hold it in place. I figure a 6" piece of what ever diameter pipe the clothes dryer hoist fits in welded to a 2x2 square tube to go inside the receiver should hold it nicely while drying then just take it down when you are not using it. Stows away for travel.

Motrukdriver said:
The hitch insert assembly is for holding the clothes dryer so you don't have to stake it to the ground with ropes or wires.  The umbrella type dryer just slides into the tube, open it up and hang your clothes to dry.  Take it all down out of the way when clothes are dry.

What do you attach your wringer to?

Motrukdriver said:
Fold up sawhorse.  Folds flat for travel.

Somewhere I saw a video or article where the had attached a wringer to the bumper or hitch of the travel trailer.  It was from Australia and the wringer itself wasn't available in the US.  I can't find it now.   I think there was a kind of stand welded onto it.

I like the idea of it being attached to the TT and removable for travel.  One less thing to stow away.  This is an Australian wringer designed to attach to the tongue of the trailer.  Don't see why a US wringer can't be adapted to mount there as well.  Camping is big down there and I wish we would have had more free time the last time we went but business got in the way.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wringer...mping-Washing-Clothes-BRAND-NEW-/182434122307

Motrukdriver said:
I like the idea of it being attached to the TT and removable for travel.  One less thing to stow away.  This is an Australian wringer designed to attach to the tongue of the trailer.  Don't see why a US wringer can't be adapted to mount there as well.  Camping is big down there and I wish we would have had more free time the last time we went but business got in the way.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wringer...mping-Washing-Clothes-BRAND-NEW-/182434122307

that's it!

Meh, I've just decided that I'm not gonna wash my clothes anymore. When they get dirty, I'll just throw them away and buy new ones.

Tee hee hee.

:)

lenny flank said:
Meh, I've just decided that I'm not gonna wash my clothes anymore. When they get dirty, I'll just throw them away and buy new ones.

Tee hee hee.

:)

Just go out for a walk and then follow a car thru a car wash.

Latest posts