Washing machines

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK enough of the semi political posts. this thread is about washing machines stay on topic or your post will go to the electronic trash bin of history.

Now about driving your clothes clean. sometimes I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid and drive around. this works exceedingly well on washboard roads. I also have one of the plunger washers it to works well.

highdesertranger

I’m going to miss the lovely laundromat I have here when I get on the road. They have these huge European maid washers that takes 60 pounds. Being a single man I take all my clothes no matter what they are of course I only wear black and white and throw them in the 60 pound machine that’s about two weeks worth of clothes. And the nice thing about it even though it cost six dollars to run it it’s been so well that you can dry them for $.25 or I could bring them home and hang them up and they’ll be dry very quickly. I hope I get lucky Finding laundromats on the road.

, put some soap in it with 2 or 3 gallons of water. ... and watered the cactus with the dirt water. They stated that it works pretty darn good,
Does it work OK for cactuses? I believe saponates in water can kill plants. Some special soap?

Last edited:
This is the model I purchased two years ago and I love it. It's the blue-top VIVOHOME I purchased online from amazon.com. I chose it because it uses 100 watts less electricity from my house batteries than similar washers listed. Then I put 60 hooks in my van's ceiling over my head (evenly-spaced everywhere from front to back and side to side) where I hang my clothes to dry via a fan high on my back wall pulling outside air across them.

Last edited:
So if you have lots of water, the ability to get rid of the dirty water and lots of free time, it might be for you.

I have a washer dryer in my Class A (with 150 gal tanks, 800 Ah battery bank and generator). As JimInDenver says it uses an inordinate amount of water, electricity and time. So much, that the convenience isn't worth it unless connected to full hook ups. Otherwise, its just as easy to find and park at a laundromat, put the clothes in a washer, return to the rig, and hang out until its time to put the clothes in the dryer, and then return to the rig until they're done. When I was a youngster and didn't own a washer dryer, I thought going to the laundromat was a hassle, but with my home on wheels in the parking lot, its cheap (~$5), fast (~60 min) and a good time to get other chores (like cleaning, cooking, shopping or working) done.

RVs have limited resources, I don't think its worth it to spend them doing laundry in vehicle.

Last edited: